OAK's Full Underground Factory

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

OAK
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

OAK's Full Underground Factory

Post by OAK »

Hi. My Name is OAK, and I'm addicted to Underground Belts.

This topic has the purpose to make you see the light, and accept Underground Belts as your lord and savior.

Most of the builds you will see are based on the following rules:
1- Underground Belts that come out of the ground will be called "oBelts".
2- Underground Belts that go inside the ground will be called "iBelts".
3- You can take items from an iBelt, but you cannot place items in them.
4- You can place items in an oBelt, but you cannot take from them.
5- Underground Belts are awesome and you should use them more.
6- This was last tested and found to be working on version v0.9.8

With two easy setups you can start using Underground Belts today.

Liner Smelter
With this setup you can make your ore's trip from the source back to your base be much more productive without sacrificing time or space.
Make sure you understand the setup before moving on.
Of course Underground Belts are a kind master, so this will work with any kind of furnace.
For fuel based furnaces: the fuel can share the same belt as the ore, neither will mind.
If you are thinking:
"I can replace the iron ore with copper ore!" Congratulations, you have a basic grasp on the game's most basic concepts.
If you are thinking:
"I can replace the iron ore with iron plates for a steel making express lane!" I'm sorry but, as right as you are, I'm afraid you are not quite getting the full potential of this setup.
Try it yourself! You can run the ore, iron and steel side by side in the same furnace lane. I'm sure you will figure it out...
Ok, I'll give you a hint. Remember the rules about iBelts and oBelts. You need to turn the iron plates output into iron plates input.

Let's take this a few steps further...

Basic Components Underground Factory
Two lanes side by side.
Complete with output to input change AND lane-to-lane resource sharing for more advanced components!
Input= Belt1(Iron Plates) & Belt2(Copper Plates)
Output= Belt1(Wire+Copper Plates) & Belt2(Iron Gears+Electronic Circuits) & Belt3(Iron Plates+Steel) The steel is a lie...
but it doesn't have to be.
Oh my god, this is so compact fast and organised... I think everyone has started seeing the true power of this by now.
Yes my child. You CAN make much more complex factory setups for much more complex components and finished goods, that beautiful output is perfect for that.
Try to avoid the urge to run a regular belt on the side for outputting and sharing of components. It annoys the Underground Gods.

Some closing notes:

You can easily change final products by redirecting a few inserters.

You can use Small Electric Poles for a perfect electric grid fit.

You can use Medium Poles to take advantage of the top lane;
Even if you don't need a fifth component lane it's still useful for fitting a lot of stuff, like:
-Laser Turrets!
Top it with a wall!
-Provider Chest Outputs!
heresy
-Requester Chest Inputs!
capital sin
-Component Sharing Intersection between perpendicular Underground Factory lanes!
NOW we're talking!
You can't use basic inserters to pick items up from blue belts unless it's clogged.
You can use that to your advantage to prioritize some factories over others. You can even use it to store excess products!
But that's something to be discussed in another topic...

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: OAK's Full Underground Factory

Post by Garm »

does it save space? looks to me like you are shaving 3 tiles off the side by making it 3 tiles longer.

in fact i think it takes more space since you can share belts between lines of smelters.

Cool concept nevertheless.

tralala
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tralala »

Belts are awesome. :D
Logistic robots should be banned! :evil:

OAK
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by OAK »

Garm wrote:does it save space? looks to me like you are shaving 3 tiles off the side by making it 3 tiles longer.

in fact i think it takes more space since you can share belts between lines of smelters.

Cool concept nevertheless.
I see your point.
But I think it's perfect for a smelting line, as you will have to travel great distances anyway.
The second picture I added shows how you can share the belts with multiple lines of smelters or factories.
(you may need to open the image in a new tab as it is quite wide and gets cropped by the forum.)

Why it saves space:

Code: Select all

===
=F=: Factory or smelter
===

>: Belts

-: Underground Belts

I : Inserters

WHAT PEOPLE USUALY DO
>>>>>>>
 I  I  I
 =========
 =F==F==F=
 =========
 I  I  I
 >>>>>>>>>>

9 tiles wide
7 tiles tall
9X7 = 63 tiles

WHAT I'M SUGGESTING
-I===--I===->I===
  =F=I>-=F=I--=F=I>
  ===   ===   ===

15 tiles wide
3 tiles tall
15x3 = 45 tiles
Note I'm comparing it to the usual setup, not to any other specific setup.
I also did not claim it was the most compact setup possible. But it sure is more compact than what I usually see around here.

JackGruff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JackGruff »

tralala wrote:Belts are awesome. :D
Logistic robots should be banned! :evil:
Oh boy, you should have been around when we didn't have a roboport and bots didn't use energy.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Heh I usually build

=========
 =F==F==F=
 =========
 I L I L I 
 >>>>>>>>>
 >>>>>>>>>
 I L I L I 
 =========
 =F==F==F=
 =========
Where I and L are inserters and long ones accordingly.

1 unit is 3x6, double unit is 3x10 making it essentially 3x5 per factory, It is possible to go even smaller, but i hate having mixed belts.

OAK
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by OAK »

Garm wrote:Heh I usually build

=========
 =F==F==F=
 =========
 I L I L I 
 >>>>>>>>>
 >>>>>>>>>
 I L I L I 
 =========
 =F==F==F=
 =========
Where I and L are inserters and long ones accordingly.

1 unit is 3x6, double unit is 3x10 making it essentially 3x5 per factory, It is possible to go even smaller, but i hate having mixed belts.
Nice, that does look good. It's easy to see whats going on.
I don't really like to use long inserters for anything. The regular ones use less energy...
I usualy go for a full solar powered factory, so energy is a problem.

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

I use something like that, but to avoid long inserters i put coal and ore on the same belt. This makes each [electric] furnace "block" a 3x5, no long inserters, and no requirement to double up. This is also cheaper on resources(belts vs underground) which is important earlier on, doesnt require long inserters when using fuel furnaces if you plan to drop in electric ones later without tearing up infrustructure, and does not require such long straight open areas. By the time I need more than 4-5 furnaces, I have a central train station for drop off of ore, so there is no long distance belt line to drop furnaces into.

I have actually adopted this method for things that dont require 10 machines or more, research packs(2-5 depending on tech levels), copper wire(2-5 depending on circuit demand), and so on.

Glad to hear someone else goes full solar as well... I keep seeing screen shots with giant solid red areas, where I have only recently had one chunk that was more red than orange, stupid electric miners, heh.

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

It's a pretty clean in-line design.

The first thing I would want to do is splitter-conjoin two or four of these lines to increase the throughput and take advantage of the narrow profile, and make it easier to dual-lane these for processing or train shipment.

I find transporting ore via train is less efficient in general than shipping plates (50 ore vs 100 plates). If everything is loaded with efficiency modules, you only need maybe ten refineries at the mining site to keep a cargo wagon happy (around 600 per minute).

Generally, Garm's standard design is still generally the most efficient, IMO. The inline design is a nice proof of concept if you're trying to squeeze something in with a wall on one side you don't feel like moving, but if you've got space, the straight dual-lane approach works just fine and is readily adaptable.

Holy-Fire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Holy-Fire »

Cute.

I'm sticking with the old gods though.

Return to “Show your Creations”