End-game Integrated Green+Red+Blue

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

End-game Integrated Green+Red+Blue

Post by vanatteveldt »

I wanted to create nice 'racks' for green+red and green+red+blue circuit production.

Requirements:
- Only raw resources as input (plates + plastic + sulphur gas)
- Have 4xprod4 modules in all assemblers
- Make optimal use of speed beacons
- Have as close to optimal ratios as possible

The ratios are not quite correct, but 1 green -> 2 red + 2 blue comes close. The reds are overproduced (1.4/8 > 2/15) and the greens are underproduced, but that can be compensation by adding an extra speed beacon for the green production.
Each green requires a dedicated cable, so the reds need their own cable plant, which can feed a lot of reds.

Normally I would like to have beacons on both sides of each assembler, and have the assemblers directly touching each other (no horizontal gaps). For blue circuits, I don't think that is possible as they the sulphur gas takes up the whole side, unless you use underground pipes to outside the beacon column, but that space should be free for the next rack. So, you need 3 inputs/outputs (green and red in, blue out) on the other side, which means two belts, which means there can be no beacon column on that edge. So, I decided to do a double column of assemblers around a central 'bus', which allowed me to place one extra beacon in the center are near the greens:

blueprint
This is the design copied twice, which produces 140 blue/m out of 2.1k copper and 1.6k iron. The blue assemblers have crafting speed of 3.625 and 3 (the bottom one profits from the speed beacon), so theoretical maximum is 4*6.625*1.25*(60/15)=148/m, so that's close enough.

Since each blue requires 2 reds=4/1.4=2.875 greens, this requires in total 6.625 * 22.875 /15 = 10.103 from each green assembler, which can output 2*1.4*3.625=10.15/s. In total the setup above should produce 10.103*4*60=2424 green/minute, but it makes only 2.3, so the greens are not producing fully, but I'm not quite sure what the problem is.

If you add a third group on top it will be copper starved. An alternative is to add a second copper line just for the cable plants at the bottom. This allows you to place a third group, which consumes the full iron line, producing 206 blue/s (out of 222 theoretical maximum)
more circuits
blueprint
(see also my green circuit (viewtopic.php?f=202&t=33355#p210326) and green+red circuit racks (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37859))

sniderthanyou
Inserter
Inserter

Re: End-game Integrated Green+Red+Blue

Post by sniderthanyou »

Very neat! I really like the racks you've been posting that share rows of beacons.

Just curious, why did you decide to restrict yourself to copper + iron + plastic, rather than green + red circuits? Do you find it's easier to just keep circuits off of your bus, or was this just a fun experiment?

Also, at the bottom of each belt in your picture, there is a contraption that produces a full belt of raw resources. I've seen those in many posts, but I don't know how to find them myself. Are they hidden in sandbox mode somewhere, or is it a mod? Thanks!

Erik

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mehve »

It's a mod called "Creative Mode", and has all kinds of goodies for testing out assemblies. Very popular, very useful for developing large-scale designs.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

sniderthanyou wrote:Very neat! I really like the racks you've been posting that share rows of beacons.

Just curious, why did you decide to restrict yourself to copper + iron + plastic, rather than green + red circuits? Do you find it's easier to just keep circuits off of your bus, or was this just a fun experiment?
Thanks!

I'm not using a normal bus this game bus use trains as the main transportation. I must say I really like that, it's much easier to scale up.

According to the helmod calculator mod, I need 27k copper and 18k iron per minute as well as 5k green, 4k red and 3k plastic. So, the 'bus' for these basic goods alone would have to be 12+8+2+2+2=26 express belts...

The problem with doing a 'rack' of blue based on circuits is that they use 20 green per cycle (15s). If you surround them with beacons they get crafting speed 5.5, so require 20*5.5/15=7.3 green per second. So, a single lane of green can only sustain 3 assemblers. I guess you can use a full belt of green for 6 assemblers, one lane of red and output the blue on the red lane, and then loop it back behind the PG pipe. Of course, this essentially requires a dedicated green rack to produce the full belt of green...

That said, this design is a bit too complicated to my taste, so maybe having dedicated green and green+red racks and then making a simpler blue makes most sense in the end...
What I do like about the integrated setup, however, is that it is easier to see where the bottleneck is and manage production of green, red, blue separately.

Return to “Show your Creations”