Do you have a deathwish? Yes I do.

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Drexir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Do you have a deathwish? Yes I do.

Post by Drexir »

In a decision to make the game harder instead of leaving the map generator options on default. I changed four of the settings:

Enemy Bases -> Frequency to Very High
Enemy Bases -> Size to Very Big
Enemy Bases -> Richness to Very Good
Starting Area -> Size to Small

Upon loading the map I looked at the minimap and could already see enemies on the edges. Then I looked at the map and saw HUGE bases surrounding me in every direction. I told my self I got this. There's my copper, my iron, my stone, and a tiny patch of coal. That coal isn't gonna last long there has to be another patch somewhere near. I looked at the map all I saw was a slightly bigger patch in one of the huge bases. I said meh it'll be fine. I can make this coal last until I have enough power to kill the spawners by the other small patch of coal.

10 minutes into the game I'm already getting attacked by a swarm of biters. I die. Die again. Then decide to use pipes as walls. This worked okay. Knew that I needed to have turrets and stone walls ASAP. 1hr 40mins into the game a good amount of deaths, a lot of stuff destroyed, and that little coal patch is on it's last leg.

Welcome to hell:

Outcome? Will probably run out of coal soon and die. It gave me a ton of copper and oddly a lot of stone but literally only a tiny patch of coal. I could generate a new map with a bigger patch of coal or increase the richness of coal. I feel though that would kinda defeat the purpose of the challenge. Part of something that I miss in "normal mode" is that the enemies really arnt a threat more of a pesk that you have to do a little pesk control managing every once in a while. Which is not hard just build laser turrets. Even regular turrets can do the job it's just people find it tedious to keep refilling it with ammo or even setup an automation with belts and inserters feeding the turrets. The story I get from this game is that you are a lone soldier setting up defenses so you can colonize the planet. In the meantime you are a one man operation on a foreign planet with dangerous natives trying to stop your efforts to save their planet.

They do a poor job at it sadly. Biters have to get up close to damage anything while your turrets just slaughter them before they get even close. It's an afterthought. The natives should be smarter, stronger, more aggresive (afterall they are trying to save their race and planet). This is an alpha. The devs already mentioned adding in different enemy types. Also rebalancing the combat. I'm not sure what the devs envision this game to be. Is it a laid back building game or is it a building game while trying to stay alive. With that said it would be kinda pointless to make suggestions and wait until the combat, enemies are a bit more fleshed out.

There are a few things I would like to see in one form or another:

1) Ranged attack enemies (something to counter turrets)

2) More strategic enemy AI. For example. If you are being outnumbered by biters you can simply run to your turrets and the turrets can slaughter them because they will still focus on killing you. They should prioritize the biggest threat which would be the turrets. Or even more cool if there are laser turrets should they try to cut the power source of the turrets (ie: take out the electric pole) then attack the turrets. Stuff like that to make them feel like they are intelligent.

3) Worms. This may not be a hot idea but it would be cool to play around with is if the worms spread over time for example spread to the source of the pollution (ie: your base) so if your not paying attention 20 minutes later you could find your base surrounded by worms.

Coolthulhu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Do you have a deathwish? Yes I do.

Post by Coolthulhu »

You can always slow down to reduce the pollution.
That's how I handled "hard mode". My hard mode might have been a bit easier than yours (I think I had bases big and frequency high), but same tactics apply.

Full efficiency + solar panels + electric furnaces would mean that most - if not all - of the pollution would get eaten up by trees.
Also, since you're heavily limited in resources, it would be a good idea to utilize quirks in the mechanics to get the most of your defenses. Diagonal walls defend slightly better than orthogonal against small biters. Belts can push biters around slowing them and forcing them to reposition after attacking. U-shaped walls force a lot of biters into one place, but allow only some of them to attack the closest wall - others have to pick another target and stick to it until it's destroyed.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Do you have a deathwish? Yes I do.

Post by ssilk »

I wait for v0.10, so that anybody can play that map with much much afford.
Because I would say with that patch of iron around you need really luck to come into the expansion phase.

I like the suggestions, but not 3. It doesn't fit, worms seems to need the biters around.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Show your Creations”