Solar panel factory

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Solar panel factory

Post by Choumiko »

Here is a creation of mine: One assembler producing solar panels at max. capaity (about 90 panels/m)
factory
Note that it's created using the Testing mode mod, as i don't have a save where producing the furnaces, miners, etc wouldn't take hours itself :D

Here is how i feed the assembling machine:
Feeding
I tried using an assembling machine 3 with 4 speed modules, but i failed to feed the required items quick enough:
Assembler 3
I'm using red inserters, because while they are slower than blue ones, i can have 24 reaching the assembler, but it's still not enough.
If there's anyone that enjoys this kind of "optimisation game" and has a faster solution please share it ;)
Also a train setup that spits out 100 ore per second would be nice, as i'm planning to build this in a game without cheating

haunted_1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Solar panel factory

Post by haunted_1 »

Very intressting usage of the cargo wagons :idea:

just_dont
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by just_dont »

haunted_1 wrote:Very intressting usage of the cargo wagons :idea:
Huh, you didn't know that?
With the "inserter stack size bonus" tech, chests are becoming much more important for moving items in bulks, as opposed to belts. But the chest is only 1x1, and the amount of inserters you can place for it is always very limited.

But a wagon... is a MUCH larger chest essentially, and much more inserters can access it.

nepp95
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nepp95 »

Aaaaaaaaaaand I learned a new thing. This game keeps surprising me :mrgreen:

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

I knew about the possibility, but I never actually seen it used by anyone. Is all that infrastructure just to feed the one solar panel assembler?
Ignore this

haunted_1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by haunted_1 »

just_dont wrote:
With the "inserter stack size bonus" tech, chests are becoming much more important for moving items in bulks, as opposed to belts. But the chest is only 1x1, and the amount of inserters you can place for it is always very limited.

But a wagon... is a MUCH larger chest essentially, and much more inserters can access it.

I actually know about those things but as gammro said, i never seen anyone use it. so yes i m surprised :)

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Gammro wrote:I knew about the possibility, but I never actually seen it used by anyone. Is all that infrastructure just to feed the one solar panel assembler?
Yes it is. I got a slight overproduction of steel, iron and coppper, probably frations of one smelter.

The cargo wagon is really great. One could even try to replace most of the belts with wagons and fast inserters and test what has the higher troughput.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

There are a lot of good ideas in those pics...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

OuchThatStings
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by OuchThatStings »

Awesome setup! I had never thought of using cargo cars like that before... nice one.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Oh, this is old. See: https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... l_behavior

"Storage/Wagon/Using as "big chest""

But not much more. I fill now the empty subpage with the link to this thread.

EDIT: I was so free to upload that pics into the wiki.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Bleda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bleda »

wow, this is amazing! When I played the tight spot challenge, with the solar panels, I calculated how many miners, smelters, assemblies etc. you would need to feed one solar panel assembly, and I thought it was beyond crazy. :D

So, you did it! And in a very nice way, too. congratulations!

I would love to see things like this becoming part of the endgame.

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

just_dont wrote:
Not really true. Upgraded belts have a much higher throughput for bulk items. It's just slow pulling things off the belt. This is when you use multiple fast inserters to feed a factory rather than just one standard inserter.
This is the moment of brilliance, using the 'bulk' of a train wagon to act as a shared chest that multiple inserters can access simultaneously. Now only if it was smart..

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

It reminded me of some kind of storage facility by the looks of it. That could be a good way to integrate real "bigger chests" ingame IMO.

solardarity
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by solardarity »

I want to know why you have such an expansive factory solely for solar panels etc. when you could just use logistics to keep it extremely minimal?

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

solardarity wrote:I want to know why you have such an expansive factory solely for solar panels etc. when you could just use logistics to keep it extremely minimal?
Because it's fun to build, that's the whole point why i build it. There's no real use for this factory, because no one needs about 90 solar panels per minute :mrgreen:
I'm not sure robots could handle the amount, 25 items per Solar panel times 90 equals 2250 items/min, that would be 450 deliveries per minute (assuming they can grab 5 items, i don't even know)

Return to “Show your Creations”