0.9 - Science Pack 2 /w Storage

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

0.9 - Science Pack 2 /w Storage

Post by TheSAguy »

This is my Science Pack 2 layout. The idea was to have storage crates between every factory, to create a "battery".
This serves two functions:

1. Create a reserve when I might run low on input materials, to keep the system going
2. When I need any of those items, I can easily just grab some from any of the creates.

Science Pack 2 is very Metal heavy, so I have two crates for input of iron to the machines.
Thoughts?
Attachments
0.9 - TECH 2 LAYOUT
0.9 - TECH 2 LAYOUT
0.9_Tech2.jpg (350.58 KiB) Viewed 8614 times

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: 0.9 - Science Pack 2 /w Storage

Post by Zourin »

Not bad, although you'll eat up a lot of resources with the intermediary buffers, even with the slot limiters. I would say the only two buffers you need are the input iron/copper, the intermediary belts/inserters, and the resultant green packs (I like to do a parallel split buffer to queue up to 1,000 packs)

With only four science machines, it may be feasible to throttle the inserter production by only having one circuit setup. Greens are, what, 6 and inserters are .5. Even if you halve output of the inserters, you can still support 6 green pack factories. given you're only using four, you should have a fairly soft overproduction that will naturally throttle the belt factories.

however, with your setup, that means intermediaries will back up through the chests, eat up tons of resources that aren't going to things like your personal construction chests. Your factory will devour resources that should be going to 'personal' factories making gears, pipe, belts/fast/express belts, basic inserters, and circuits. Automating your construction materials is more important, imo, than having overdone material buffers for science packs. The last thing you want to be doing is building your own ciruits for solar panels >.<

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The chests for the copper wires are needed, because otherwise the inserters can't use their stack bonus. Or fill directly from assembly to assembly. Everything else is not needed.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

elkar
Inserter
Inserter

Post by elkar »

ssilk wrote:The chests for the copper wires are needed, because otherwise the inserters can't use their stack bonus. Or fill directly from assembly to assembly. Everything else is not needed.
AHA so inserters can use that stack bonus upgrade only when pulling from chest or assembly machine?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

No, they use their bonus, when they move items from a stack into a stack. Yes, because chest, assemblies and many others have stacks. Just right click and you'll see.
I've updated the article https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... stack_size
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Show your Creations”