Another tiny science pack 2 assembly line

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Another tiny science pack 2 assembly line

Post by sparr »

Inspired by another thread, here's my attempt to squeeze some green packs out of a small footprint. I avoided using much high technology mostly because I don't have it all researched yet in my game :)
Attachments
screenshot of science pack 2 assembly line
screenshot of science pack 2 assembly line
Screenshot 2014-02-17 16.29.44.png (467.54 KiB) Viewed 11236 times

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Another tiny science pack 2 assembly line

Post by ssilk »

Really very cool. Extremely condensed but clear...

I must disappoint you: in v0.9 green science pack is built out of basic belt and basic inserter. Very different setup... You need one factory more.

From playing along I can say, that even with more than 5 in the beginning and 10 labs later, a setup with 3 red, 3 green and 2 blue science assemblies are enough (leave space for beacon etc.). More is normally not needed.
This setup is then replaced for more optimized versions with logistic bots.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

ssilk wrote:Really very cool. Extremely condensed but clear...

I must disappoint you: in v0.9 green science pack is built out of basic belt and basic inserter. Very different setup... You need one factory more.

From playing along I can say, that even with more than 5 in the beginning and 10 labs later, a setup with 3 red, 3 green and 2 blue science assemblies are enough (leave space for beacon etc.). More is normally not needed.
If I can get 0.9 to work (it crashes for me), maybe I'll see how compact I can make a 3 red + 3 green + 2 blue factory :)

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

sparr wrote:
ssilk wrote:Really very cool. Extremely condensed but clear...

If I can get 0.9 to work (it crashes for me), maybe I'll see how compact I can make a 3 red + 3 green + 2 blue factory :)
Yeah, the need for Inserters adds a bit of complexity to the green process. You wind up needing gears, chips, and plates for the inserters. With the central line already dual-banding, you're going to need to push the circuits up the feed line to feed an external belt, and replace the existing circuit setup with the inserter-gear factories. Two more factories, two more blocks of width, but no drama. The circuit factory shouldn't have to go full tilt, so even basic inserters/long arm should suffice to keep the packs chugging as long as supply is maintained.

Not hard to reproduce, and the four green factories can supply a good number of labs. I am slightly concerned about the resource drain associated with four green plants (and matching quad-reds) as I do have my own personal factories and resource taps so I can hand-make what I need on the fly rather than put strain on the material flow to automate it, or resource inject a lagging line.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Here's the smallest green science assembly line I've made in 0.9

I have an idea to condense it slightly by rearranging the assemblers into a 2x4 grid with more shared conveyor space, but 1x8 works just fine for me.
Attachments
Screenshot 2014-02-19 22.18.35.png
Screenshot 2014-02-19 22.18.35.png (378.74 KiB) Viewed 11028 times

RawCode
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RawCode »

i always did this type of farms without belts, only long and short inserters, chests and factories.
will post setup soonish.

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

RawCode wrote:i always did this type of farms without belts, only long and short inserters, chests and factories.
will post setup soonish.
With packs, they process so slow that you can get away with belts and 1-at-a-time insertion (even slow inserters). Using L1 assemblers for the intermediate products is usually just fine for that pace.

Normally I've been stopping at two green facs.. maybe I should double up to four since that's a better balancing point. Can probably also do 4-1 with gears on red packs too (output/input gears with a 2nd parallel belt and use long inserters. only +1 width)

EDIT:

I cheated. I hijacked the external gear belt from my red pack factories to also supply gears to my inserter factory on the north side (while the gears also feed four redpacks). No drainage issues detected so far, although inserter production is still slow due to the single cable-circuit setup. So now I have a combined redpack-greenpack factory setup merging two reasonably condensed layouts. I may be able to get away with only two gear factories feeding the processes of four redpacks & four greenpacks as soon as I figure out how to route the gears in three directions at once without increasing the footprint (South-row belt factory, central row inserter fac, and north redpacks)

Return to “Show your Creations”