My First factory

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

My First factory

Post by zytukin »

My first and only factory so far, with nearly 100 hours in it.
Guess it could be considered a mega factory now and will probably never be complete.

Overall map
map.jpg
map.jpg (100.11 KiB) Viewed 5891 times
Stone and Brick storage, along with a few misc assemblers to make things as needed
misc.jpg
misc.jpg (187.18 KiB) Viewed 5891 times
Main manufacturing area, completely automated Red, Green, and Blue science pack production. Also AP round, Level 2 speed boosters, and repair pack production. Some of the key items have small passive storage areas in the line for me to grab stuff when I need to make something from my inventory.
manu1.jpg
manu1.jpg (365.67 KiB) Viewed 5891 times
Research lab area
research.jpg
research.jpg (115.88 KiB) Viewed 5891 times
Furnace area, 30 furnaces each for iron, copper and steel
smelting.jpg
smelting.jpg (257.6 KiB) Viewed 5891 times
Iron, Steel, Copper passive storage. 480k of Iron and Copper, 240k of Steel
plate storage.jpg
plate storage.jpg (193.18 KiB) Viewed 5891 times
Solid Fuel production, passive Oil Barrel storage, and passive empty barrel storage.
The rail line visible at the top doesn't go anywhere yet. It's for future exploration outside the base when I build remote drilling areas.
Passive Oil Barrel storage consists of 343 steel chests able to hold 164,640 barrels which is 4,116,000 oil.
solidfuel manu.jpg
solidfuel manu.jpg (282.93 KiB) Viewed 5891 times
]

Coal and Solid fuel Passive Storage.
Solid Fuel storage has a capacity of 1,454,000
Coal storage has a capacity of 1,492,000 and will get fed to the power plant automatically if Solid Fuel runs out.
Coal-SolidFuel Storage.jpg
Coal-SolidFuel Storage.jpg (269.81 KiB) Viewed 5891 times
As for power, the factory needs immense amounts.
The factory uses around 70MW, the power plant can output (estimated) 130MW
The power plant consists of 100 steam engines and can easily be expanded if needed.
power-new.jpg
power-new.jpg (201.49 KiB) Viewed 5891 times
Last edited by zytukin on Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: My First factory

Post by Kayanor »

Wow, that fuel storage is massive! :o
Former moderator.

Keplergamer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Keplergamer »

NEED MORE COAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111

Just kidding, thanks for sharing this crazy unique piece. Well done bro.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

That fuel storage... 1.4 million...

Also first time I see someone setting up the Steam Engines that way. Do they actually all get enough 100°C water?

The boiler/engine ratio is probably fine from what I can tell, also the 20 Steam engines should be do able with 1 pipe.

I am more concerned about the Pipe length becoming a bottleneck for throughput.

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

There is 2-4 offshore pumps per row of boilers and a row of 20+ boilers per 10 steam engines.
All the boilers feed into the row of storage tanks and the storage tanks feed into the steam engines.
At the ends of the rows of engines they have 3-5 water and the temps are 95+

It's only running at half capacity right now though, so no telling what will happen when all are running full power.
If history is anything to go by (when I only had enough for 70MW), then the southern two rows wont get enough water because there isn't enough space for enough boilers due to how the lake bends to the left below the picture.

But yea, if it becomes too much of a hassle, it wouldn't be hard to rotate all the engines 90 degrees and make a lot of rows of 4 or 5

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Dang... I can't say I have ever seen that much fuel storage. Haha

Very interesting power setup. Don't think I have ever seen it made quite like that actually. :) However it is a bit concerning that some of the engines only get 3-4 water as I don't think that's enough to run them at full capacity. But like you said, if worse comes to worse it wouldn't be too hard to swing them around and do like rows of 5 which might work better.

Great and interesting looking factory overall though!
Image Image Image

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

I have tried the Steam Engine setup yesterday night... It works at full load... under the condition that you don't have too long pipes. At least I had somehing like 0.5-1 water left in the last 2 Steam Engines.

So you are very much limited to stay in close proxomity to the shoreline or otherwise the design becomes inefficient.

If I had to take a wild guess zytukin can't run the power plant at full capacity because some of his engines are too far away from the Pumps. And the tanks are probably also causing trouble.

Probably it is still more efficient just to put 20 Steam engines in one long line.

fffranz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fffranz »

Nice Megafabric - how long did you work at this? My problem - the bigger the production will be, the more bugs are in the construction ;-)
One thing: its redicoulus, that the storage of coal and iron is bigger than the mine. I miss in this very nice game nothing more than big depots for storage
Franz

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

MeduSalem wrote:I have tried the Steam Engine setup yesterday night... It works at full load... under the condition that you don't have too long pipes. At least I had somehing like 0.5-1 water left in the last 2 Steam Engines.

So you are very much limited to stay in close proxomity to the shoreline or otherwise the design becomes inefficient.

If I had to take a wild guess zytukin can't run the power plant at full capacity because some of his engines are too far away from the Pumps. And the tanks are probably also causing trouble.

Probably it is still more efficient just to put 20 Steam engines in one long line.
once you are too far away from shore you can use parallel pipes and small pumps to boost the throughput

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

ratchetfreak wrote:once you are too far away from shore you can use parallel pipes and small pumps to boost the throughput
You mean like has been discussed in this thread? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6066

I remember reading into it for an hour or so but I haven't applied it in any of my factories yet... but yeah... I guess it might work with those small pump setups, though I don't fully understand how many of those small pumps I would need for the 20 Steam Engines and how far I can go before I would need another pump station... seems a bit strange to me.

SalvaMX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SalvaMX »

I like it, I 'm just learning the mechanics of this game and it's amazing . :P

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

MeduSalem wrote:
ratchetfreak wrote:once you are too far away from shore you can use parallel pipes and small pumps to boost the throughput
You mean like has been discussed in this thread? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6066

I remember reading into it for an hour or so but I haven't applied it in any of my factories yet... but yeah... I guess it might work with those small pump setups, though I don't fully understand how many of those small pumps I would need for the 20 Steam Engines and how far I can go before I would need another pump station... seems a bit strange to me.
offshore pump provides 60/t and a small pump 30/t extrapolate from there ;)

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

ratchetfreak wrote:offshore pump provides 60/t and a small pump 30/t extrapolate from there ;)
Well that's what I needed to know... didn't know how much an offshore pump actually outputs in the context because that wasn't all that clear in DaveMcW's post.

So basically to sustain the throughput for those 20 Steam Engines of zytukin's design one would need 4 Small Pumps every 14 pieces of pipe... if I got it right?

Or is the 120/t two Offshore Pumps prodivide together more than 20 Steam Engines would need?

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

Had been suffering bottlenecks with my ore storage and plate production. 1 Express belt couldn't handle the ore into the copper and iron stockpiles, and 1 express belt couldn't supply enough to the furnaces. Even packed, one express belt struggled to provide for 30 furnaces with 2 level 2 speed enhancements.

So decided to move the smelting process to an open area near the steam plants (which are no longer in use due to the new solar farm).
Much larger ore stockpile with two express lines into both iron and copper from the various mines.
4 express conveyors leading out of both stockpiles supplying 20 furnaces each. 80 total for iron plates, 80 total for copper plates.
8 express conveyors lead out of the 160 furnaces to the plate stockpile. 4 for Iron Plates, 4 for Copper Plates.

Damn factory is looking more like a circuit board every day. lol
I had to zoom out the screen via console command to take a picture of the whole thing.
Will be putting in 20 furnaces to make steel beams in the empty space between the furnaces on the right and plate storage on the left.
Now the fun task of rerouting the main busses for the metal.
ore.jpg
ore.jpg (279.72 KiB) Viewed 4426 times

Return to “Show your Creations”