Share your first factory!

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

GoldenPorkchop80
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Share your first factory!

Post by GoldenPorkchop80 »

When I first bought Factorio, I launched the game and I didn't know what I was doing. I eventually got the hang of things.

I made a factory with a small ore processing center, one research lab, one steam engine, and one turret. I survived for about 1hr and 30min more until biters swamped me and I died.

Would play that factory again, now that I have +200 hours under my belt.
Contact me:
telnet.Telehack.com (My username is gpc80)
Steam
Twitch.tv
Reddit
Email:redrouster2000@gmail.com (Mods, Admins, and Game Devs ONLY! Anyone else will be blocked on my email, and on this forum)
Hamachi VPN: Please send me a PM for network info.
Forums: Send me a PM

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Share your first factory!

Post by ssilk »

Moved from General to Show your Creations.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

I wish I remembered my first factory, should of took screenshots. although I remember it being a clusterfuck then discovering logistic robots and then it was basically smooth sailing haha :D

_itg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by _itg »

I got the game a week or so ago, so it wasn't too hard to scrounge up some screenshots. These are some pictures of my first two factories near or at the end of the game. The difference between them is pretty striking. http://www.imgur.com/a/ELJDq

Shilka
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Shilka »

I just got the game 2 weeks ago, so here's mine (still in progress)

I had no idea what I was doing when starting this, but a day or 2 in I did realize that I wanted some sort of central belt system to constantly feed on/off from. I understand you call such a thing a bus system here.
Problem was, having no knowledge of the game, I had no idea what the most used basic materials are, so I ended up with a bus system of 19 belts and 2 pipelines. By now I realize there are some unnecesary ones (like wood and metal rods), but it still kind of works.

Then after a few more days, I decided I wanted the bus system circular and to loop into itself, so all the materials would flow around continuously. That way any unused items, would come around a second time (and a third, and a fourth), so the whole bus sytem wouldn't depend on the production speed at the start of the bus system, but just on the total capacity and speed of the whole ring, where production is only needed for filling in the empty spots. It works really nice, since I can hook up anything that needs to be built next right up to the bus system, which comes in hany for me as a beginner a lot, since I have no clue what will need to be built next...

Anyway, it got a bit out of proportion, and is completely unefficient, but it looks kind of cool on the map;

PS, I started on peacefull mode, so the outer ring with like 200 turrets with their own personal ammo belt loop is kind of unnecesary, but hey, it's my first ever play through :P
I still need to even start on figuring out railroads, bots, logic systems etc, but this is what I got so far. Just produced the launching site, next up is hooking up everything for the rocket...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

How come people do such nice things on their first playthrough (even if some minor mistakes were made) when I still struggle with my spaghetti after 500+ hours of playing ? XD
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

ok you ask for it viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2239
P.s.
this map befor oil was add to the game :D

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

About 100 hours in: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21531

After almost 300 hours:
Smelting area, 80 Electric Furnaces for Iron Plates, 80 for Copper Plates, 80 for Steel Beams. Passive storage for finished metals has a capacity of about 2 million each for copper, steel, iron. Ore storage is to the south of the furnaces and has a capacity of around 1.4 million iron ore and copper ore, and 1 million stone. Believe it or not, I am under producing. I need to double the size of the smelting area.
smelting.jpg
smelting.jpg (420.57 KiB) Viewed 11792 times

Oil barrel storage, refineries, and rocket production.
Oil barrels take up much less space, even with the barreling process you can store nearly 10x the oil in the same space as tanks. The passive storage for barrels can hold over 4.1 million oil. 6 refineries with Advanced processing, 2 chem labs cracking heavy oil to light oil, 15 chem labs cracking light oil to gas, 10 chem labs making plastics.
rocketref.jpg
rocketref.jpg (431.32 KiB) Viewed 11792 times

Main manufacturing area:
Mix of level 2 and level 3 assemblers set up with fully automatic production for research (which is completed) and rocket building. To the south of this is a smaller manufacturing area making things needed for general building such as conveyors, power poles, rail tracks, splitters, and undergound belts. Pretty much the only things I have to craft by hand are buildings, trains, transformers, and rail signals.
manu.jpg
manu.jpg (448.88 KiB) Viewed 11792 times

Rail Yard
My factory goes through a lot of metals and I got tired of dealing with mining in my base and constantly having to monitor and move mines around so set up numerous outposts to mine ore and ran trains to collect it. Used a console command to make the ore patches in the remote outposts have dozens of millions of ore so they will last a long time and I wont have to spend half my gametime moving mines around.
rail.jpg
rail.jpg (363.5 KiB) Viewed 11792 times

Powerplant
This factory uses 250-350MW of power (it varies wildly depending on what is running). The powerplant is entirely solar. Pretty much took over a desert and built 15k Solar Panels that have a max output of over 800MW. For night time power, there are over 16k Accumulators. I'm actually in the process of nearly doubling the size of it all to better support thousands of laser turrets that I will be building on a perimeter wall around the base and around each mining outpost.
powerplant.jpg
powerplant.jpg (407.87 KiB) Viewed 11792 times

Azraelle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Azraelle »

I feel kinda overwhelmed when I compare my rinky-dink first factory to everyone else's.

It was a tiny thing, with only mining facilities located in other areas (you can see them on the mini-map) but it got me through my first game.

For reference, here's my second factory, which I just used to complete the entire (vanilla) research tree:

Bole
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bole »

My first factory is pure spaghetti horror, but end justifies the means. Second factory is in progress with a goal of impementing despaghetification concepts.

Chares
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Chares »

Hi There!

Been lurking around the forums since the start of version 11 (i think), i quite dont remember on which version i started this one, it was my first, and still the actual factory i use (50 Hrs). i kept learning different concepts, optimizations, functions, and in every new thing a patch adds, i try to use it.

I've only just started using roboports for autorepairing the turrets, as behemoths just appeared, but still i kept a low profile on contamination. Still no use of combinators/different wire networks.

I jsut started to finish the last tech (follower robot count 20), took me quite a while to do it.

I've changed the layout a few times so as to have 2 central belts, one with copper/metal plates and one with green circuits. I've found bottlenecks on producing blue research, as the production takes quite some time, and had to expand oil and copper production with a single rail network of trains.

If you see any room for improvement let me know!

Hope you like it!

Edit: here's a close up of the factory:

Happiej
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Happiej »

Not my first factory actually. Did a few try-outs to get the hang of it ans checked out some tutorials. this is my first serious factory:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24012

Kevin94
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kevin94 »

Was quite difficult to take some pictures of my first game. Factorio crashed when I tried to load it in the oldest available linux version on the Website (0.7). Luckily I still had the windows installer for 0.3 somewhere laying around. Unfortunatly I wasn't that wise in regards to the mods I used. When I loaded the game the furnaces where missing. I think I used the steel furnace mod, back these days steel furnaces weren't part of the base game. I placed some stone furnaces as replacement but the balance of the whole setup is lost.

Some data of the Map: It's from game version 0.3 and 25 hours played, Rocket Defence was build (and nothing happened afair). The Map also has a fixed size, as you can see in the pictures (the base is built on the left edge of the map). I'd love to see and show you a map of the game, but this feature was implemented much later.

Enough talk, time for pictures:
overview
power generation
Iron smelting and Belt production
Copper smelting and sciencepacks production
Labs

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Thanks to Wube for improving graphics.
If i had noticed Factorio earlier with this graphic i never had played it.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Reviire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Reviire »

I've been playing with a friend, this is our first factory. I came to the forums to look for advice and stuff, how to optimize things etc.

Rip goat, more loli
Gizogin wrote:I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

AutoMcD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AutoMcD »

Just finished the game, took about 48hr. I did get about halfway through the tech tree and then restart because "despaghettification concepts" that I like to call "roads". ;)

Aaand the money shot.

Still need to work on production ratios. What I had worked ok for science but circuit production crippled when I needed modules for late game stuff. I'll probably do something similar then duplicate the circuit production again just for processors and modules.
The roads worked beautifully and I could even speed through the middle of the base with the tank. Definitely worth the annoyances that it caused where complicated assembly necessitated a more cluttered setup, made blasting through at full speed rewarding.
The train I didn't try until very late, it's pretty cool and will incorporate that instead of branching out with long conveyors next time.
Also the logistic drones are kind of amazing.. You can tell all the later production such as near the rocket are very minimal. :)

Return to “Show your Creations”