SP Replay Factorio 0.12.4 full automated research in 6 hours

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Mr. Thunder_Tw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

SP Replay Factorio 0.12.4 full automated research in 6 hours

Post by Mr. Thunder_Tw »

I regularly play factorio again, love the random. Faster, better strategies.
I wondered if something like 'speed runs' could be a thing here for some people. It's an interesting challenge to improve yourself.

Factorio version 0.12.4 needed to replay this file
V12.4_Replay.zip
Save game/Replay
(5.71 MiB) Downloaded 257 times
copy the file to "/factorio/saves" and start factorio, you will find it in the list of replays and save games.

I've set a full automated research as Goal nr 1 for me(all 4 types of potions made to research, and room for production increase).
In this replay it's reached somewhere at 5 hours 45 mins.
Replay ends 5 hours 50 mins(tank researched).
No mods used. No trains used yet, and no robots but both have been researched.

In this attempt I didn't think of speed running though if more are interested I'd vote fore setting up a clear goal and rules.
Like only a time showing mod can be used if anny at all? A fixed seed? default map settings?
Last edited by Mr. Thunder_Tw on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my Mod: ThunderGui

Mr. Thunder_Tw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: SP Replay Factorio 0.12.4 full automated research in 6 hours

Post by Mr. Thunder_Tw »

So what do you think about it? What time do you take for this? I know some things can be done better in this replay i've made ;-)

RoddyVR
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RoddyVR »

IIRC the fastest speed run i've heard of is something like 4 hours with change. That's to build the rocket defence. Not sure if the silo would take more time or less, but in either case, i doubt it'd be a major factor.
Sorry cant remember who it was that posted the run and where (might have been here or redit).

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

RoddyVR wrote:IIRC the fastest speed run i've heard of is something like 4 hours with change. That's to build the rocket defence. Not sure if the silo would take more time or less, but in either case, i doubt it'd be a major factor.
Sorry cant remember who it was that posted the run and where (might have been here or redit).
4:44 is the run I once found on youtube

recently a 0.12 multiplayer speedrun was posted on reddit also 4 with hours

Mr. Thunder_Tw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mr. Thunder_Tw »

In 4 hours? Sounds incredibly fast for the whole rocket thing. I would like to see that before I believe that. First thing I think about: They probably played on peacefull or altered some map-generator-settings?

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Mr. Thunder_Tw wrote:In 4 hours? Sounds incredibly fast for the whole rocket thing. I would like to see that before I believe that. First thing I think about: They probably played on peacefull or altered some map-generator-settings?
well it was closer to 5 hours: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... layer_any/

but apparently with proper planning and cooperation you can shave off an hour

Mr. Thunder_Tw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mr. Thunder_Tw »

ratchetfreak wrote:
Mr. Thunder_Tw wrote:In 4 hours? Sounds incredibly fast for the whole rocket thing. I would like to see that before I believe that. First thing I think about: They probably played on peacefull or altered some map-generator-settings?
well it was closer to 5 hours: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... layer_any/

but apparently with proper planning and cooperation you can shave off an hour
Going at it with 4 players makes a huge difference. Though it does add difficulty in co-operation and planning.
It's a speed run, definitely. Though I was thinking solo/single player at this point. It would be a good idea to categorize the atempts by playercount first if we intend to keep records.

Also, if this youtube video( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qHvA4Mydjs ) is the speedrun... It did not have default settings, not at all.
description at the video:

Code: Select all

Welcome to my first attempt at a speedrun in 0.12! The aim is to launch a rocket as fast as possible. I'm playing with a couple of friends, you can find their channels down below.

The rules are as follows, pure vanilla. To qualify for "any %" the map can be any generation settings you would like. The seed was 813463290, all the ores were very low frequency, very big size, very good richness, high terrain segmentation, big starting area, water only in starting area

Mr. Thunder_Tw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mr. Thunder_Tw »

What I would like to point out is that we need identical or at least similar settings to start with or there's nothing to compare. Don't you think that too?

Schorty
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schorty »

You are right. In my opinion, it should be done with default settings. Then you can go two ways: peaceful vor non-peaceful. But other people habe other opinions ;)
Tired of not being able to reduce the pollution? Try the Air-Filter-Mod
With this, you are able to use the pollution levels in your circuit network: Pollution detector

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

If I don't have blue science set up by the 3 hour mark, I consider it a failure. I believe we got that far by the 2 hour mark in the speedrun. You have the seed and map settings, if you think you can do better, go ahead :) I'd love to see someone beat my time.

Edit: the terms are as defined by the community. The precedent that we set for any% (generally the broadest category), as opposed to 100% completion, generally has the least amount of restrictions. If you want to make a new category, such as "vanilla default any%" then go right ahead. Part of the skill behind a speedrun is RNG manipulation, such as selecting a good seed. Not a lot of speedrunning has been done in this game yet, but there could be ;)

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

The speedrun is here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =20#p66038
He did a speedrun in 3:59:58 but had problems with the replay function, so there's no video of it.
Earlier he did a speedrun in 4:44 (youtube link)

All settings were on peaceful with rich ores (and i guess low biters) and there were no cheats/glitches used, so I think in the speedrunning community this would be any% glitchless, segmented (because he reloaded while playing the game). He was using ingame timer and I think for factorio that's pretty accurate, except that you can't tell afterwards if the run was segmented or not, because the replay stitches them together seamlessly.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Mr. Thunder_Tw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mr. Thunder_Tw »

daniel34 wrote:
The speedrun is here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =20#p66038
He did a speedrun in 3:59:58 but had problems with the replay function, so there's no video of it.
Earlier he did a speedrun in 4:44 (youtube link)

All settings were on peaceful with rich ores (and i guess low biters) and there were no cheats/glitches used, so I think in the speedrunning community this would be any% glitchless, segmented (because he reloaded while playing the game). He was using ingame timer and I think for factorio that's pretty accurate, except that you can't tell afterwards if the run was segmented or not, because the replay stitches them together seamlessly.
Impressive singleplayer speedrun. No doubt about that.

I find it intriguing that every speedrun so far has it's own map-generator settings. I prefer default-settings and some fixed seed. I like limited resources, the need to fight and conquer solve different aspects of "running low on ..." for your story to succeed. Am I alone on this?

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Mr. Thunder_Tw wrote:
Impressive singleplayer speedrun. No doubt about that.

I find it intriguing that every speedrun so far has it's own map-generator settings. I prefer default-settings and some fixed seed. I like limited resources, the need to fight and conquer solve different aspects of "running low on ..." for your story to succeed. Am I alone on this?
For a speedrun you don't want to spend time bringing in resources if you could have had them from the start

The challenge in a speedrun is being fast at doing it not solving resource shortages.

codewarrior
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by codewarrior »

Haven't you played the Supply Challenge? I've got blue research set up by the 65 minute mark and the whole scenario complete in 1 hour 21 minutes. The last level requires 50 alien science packs, so you do hit all 4 science packs, but you could easily have those before 70 minutes if you attack the biter base prior to building the 60 rockets that must be turned in for the two levels before the last.

The scenario gives you some tightly packed starting resources so you don't have to spend as much on belts to bring everything together, but on a typical random map, I think 2 hours is the low bar for blue science.

Mr. Thunder_Tw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mr. Thunder_Tw »

ratchetfreak wrote:For a speedrun you don't want to spend time bringing in resources if you could have had them from the start

The challenge in a speedrun is being fast at doing it not solving resource shortages.
Good point, though it also feels like that's cheating for an official speedrun. If I look at various games where speedruns are a thing, they mostly go for the most difficult setting and run. Totally the other way of approach.
I still think default settings is more worthy, rewarding and respecting the game.
codewarrior wrote:Haven't you played the Supply Challenge? I've got blue research set up by the 65 minute mark and the whole scenario complete in 1 hour 21 minutes. The last level requires 50 alien science packs, so you do hit all 4 science packs, but you could easily have those before 70 minutes if you attack the biter base prior to building the 60 rockets that must be turned in for the two levels before the last.

The scenario gives you some tightly packed starting resources so you don't have to spend as much on belts to bring everything together, but on a typical random map, I think 2 hours is the low bar for blue science.
No I'm sadly but a 'Transport Belt Repair Man'. I hope to donate some more money in the future and get promoted to a 'Furnace Attendant' :oops:

Return to “Show your Creations”