Automated Research Fort

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Math3vv
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Automated Research Fort

Post by Math3vv »

I think i finaly have made a very eficient research lab :

let me know what you think of it, or how to improve it

(labs can be extended to the left, supplies come in at the right by train or something else)

wrtlprnft
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Automated Research Fort

Post by wrtlprnft »

I would either double the wall width or leave one tile of space between the wall and any valuable machinery, as biters can and will attack through walls.

It's definitely very aesthetically pleasing, though :-D

Math3vv
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Math3vv »

dubble wals would be cool indeed but the thing is i have 0 pollution so don't get attacked at all :P

Holy-Fire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Holy-Fire »

Why do you use such a complex design for feeding the labs? It reminds me of the naive circular designs I used for assembly lines before I understood how to align lanes properly.

The traditional method is something along these lines (this assumes a logistic system, with pure belts you need filters for loading the chests and a small loop. No need to loop around the labs):
Attachments
labs.JPG
labs.JPG (82.37 KiB) Viewed 12114 times

Holy-Fire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Holy-Fire »

Belt-based version:
Attachments
labs2.JPG
labs2.JPG (92.31 KiB) Viewed 12114 times

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Holy-Fire wrote:No need to loop around the labs
Not sure if this was Math3vv's intention or not, but until you do have a solid science production the loop allows the science packs to continue moving on the belt instead of 10-20 being stuck at the end where only 1-4 of the labs have access (ranges are dependent upon design). Once you have enough to fill the belt then you are right, there is no need to loop the belt at all (other than looks, a lab with items constantly moving around looks busier :))

Also, just to note, in both of your images you could/should have stopped your belt one tile earlier. Not only does it save you two belts (per setup) but if you leave the belts there the last/first science packs will never be used because they are (technically) past the inserters
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

Holy-Fire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Holy-Fire »

FreeER wrote:
Holy-Fire wrote:No need to loop around the labs
Not sure if this was Math3vv's intention or not, but until you do have a solid science production the loop allows the science packs to continue moving on the belt instead of 10-20 being stuck at the end where only 1-4 of the labs have access (ranges are dependent upon design). Once you have enough to fill the belt then you are right, there is no need to loop the belt at all (other than looks, a lab with items constantly moving around looks busier :))
Seems pretty minor, the excess packs will be consumed fairly quickly.
FreeER wrote: Also, just to note, in both of your images you could/should have stopped your belt one tile earlier. Not only does it save you two belts (per setup) but if you leave the belts there the last/first science packs will never be used because they are (technically) past the inserters
Yeah, I know, but

1. The wasted packs and belts are a small price to pay
2. This looks nicer
3. Despite "knowing" it can be a belt shorter, I have this paranoia it will be out of range for the inserters... Better for my peace of mind this way :)

I'll take your position into consideration though.

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

i use a system similar to holy-fire, however its doubled up. while holy uses two rows, i use four and have the belts pass between row 1-2 and 3-4. This way i can make the belts move in a loop instead, it does mean that i have to use a more complex feeding system, but that can be sorted with underground belts, filter inserters and splitters fairly easily

Return to “Show your Creations”