Factorio Computer

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Factorio Computer

Post by MadZuri »

Lupoviridae wrote:I ended up dropping the binary build and going for a 32-bit build instead, since the binary build was mostly just to help me learn how computers work.
Now this is what I was looking for!

Lupoviridae
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Lupoviridae »

Jonathan88 wrote:Well done! It lools awesome but does it do anything? It would be cool to have 1 program (maybe more) that does something impressive with lamps etc. and then a world download to finish it off! On the other hand... I kinda want to see game of life...
Someone beat me to the punch making GoL (and did a really good job with it)

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =8&t=13997

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by XKnight »

Lupoviridae wrote:I think you're right. I hadn't considered using a negative value as a read signal, this is really smart. You still need to use electric poles to provide power, so the overall footprint is still pretty close (5x2 instead of 6x2), but your way definitely uses less combinators and less time per read/write (1 tick instead of 2). Nice design! I definitely wouldn't have thought of that.
By the way, in a few days I will describe new memory cell that was designed especially for large data storage. It requires only 2 combinators per cell, and one a bit complex memory controller. Previous memory cell can be used like RAM in computer, and new one - like HDD.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

Very nice job! I am very amazed.
I do have a question though.. When you have it up and running, how hard would it be for you to make a blueprint of,say, the CPU and double the size of it?
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

Lupoviridae
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Lupoviridae »

TuckJohn wrote:Very nice job! I am very amazed.
I do have a question though.. When you have it up and running, how hard would it be for you to make a blueprint of,say, the CPU and double the size of it?
That's a tricky question. A CPU is mostly comprised of an ALU and some registers. Since arithmetic combinators perform the ALU functions, the actual CPU implementation will likely be rather small, requiring some tricky wiring. It should be pretty easy to blueprint, but since read/write speed will probably be the slowest step, there's not much need for a large CPU. The memory on the other hand is very easy to scale.

SuperObeseNinja
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SuperObeseNinja »

is it bad that i understand 0 of what is going on here?

Return to “Show your Creations”