Big factory with classification yard

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Icebird
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Big factory with classification yard

Post by Icebird »

Hello world!

This is my first factory on the alpha. I immediatly had an idea to centralize ressources to dispatch them to individual production lines.

This is the result:

1- Electric Generators
2- Iron foundry (2 parts)
3- Copper foundry
4- Collection Yard
5- Advanced processor plant
6- Transport belt plant
7- Rocket plant
8- Smart inserter plant
9- Gear wheel plant
10- Copper cable plant
11- Iron mine
12- Processor plant
13- Steel foundry
14- Science pack plant
15- Laboratories

Please note that copper and coal mines are outside this map.
Also please take notice of the copper shortage I experience.
I recently doubled the Iron Foundry size, and I need to do the same for the copper, however I'm missing space and need to reorganize the foundries.
As a result, I have a severe copper shortage, resulting in a copper cable and processor plants running at 50% effiency, and advanced processor plant running at 5% efficiency...
However, with this architecture, in theory, I can expand the plants and foundry as necessary to adjust in function of demand. Its just that I'm exhausted and I dont want to take the 1-2h needed to reorganize my iron and copper foundries.

Now, each parts in detail:

1- Electric Generators

I had to make two different water networks since I had a pressure problem. Adding pumps didn't solve the problem. It seems that a single water network can only support 8-10 engines.
However, the tube distance between boilers and engines don't seems to change the pressure or temperature.

2-3: Iron and copper foundries

4- Collection yard

Every ressource come on those large horizontal belts, then is dispatched on multiple vertical belts to each plant.
This way, I have clear visual of wich ressource is depleting or in shortage, and building the factory was easier since I had a centralized point to take and deposit ressources.
However, I made the yard too small, and had some hard time on the busier lines. I had to make a complete maze of belts and abused the under-ground belt system.
The next time I build a collection yard, I'll make it at least twice as large.

5-6: Advanced processor and Transport belt plants

7-8: Rocket and Smart inserter plants

Smart inserters are surprisingly easy to build. With the number of steps required, I expected worse.

9-10: Gear wheel and Copper cable plants

Copper cables consummation is insane! I was in the process of doubling my production when I hit my copper shortage and had to stop.
As you can see, I have less than 50% my plant working due to my copper shortage.
Fast belts at the output are a necessity to have the output needed to feed the other plants.

11: Iron mine

I was using a single lane to put coal on the other lane, but it was a mistake since I had to put fast belts to feed the big Iron Foundry. Another solution, that I used with the copper feed, was to use a double lane of minerals until the foundry, then use a simple trick to convert it to a single lane on fast belts, with the coal filling the other lane. I could have saved about 50 fast belts this way.

12- Processor plant

Again, you can see that only 50% of the plant is working, due to my copper shortage.
Take not of the additional copper cable fast feeding belt. The processor plant is consuming an insane number of copper cable. A single belt of iron plate and copper cable dont have the output needed to feed it.

13- Steel Foundry

Nothing special to see, beside the u-turn bug that plagued my game. More information at the end.

14- Science pack plant

And again, with the copper shortage, all feeding lines are full, except the advanced processors... So my blue science plant work at less than 10% efficiency.
Also, as you can see, I have 2/4/8 factories for the different kind of science pack, since each advanced one take twice longer than the precedent to make, but they are all consummed at the same speed by the labs.

15- Laboratories

And now, two usefull things:

As mentionned earlier, there is a bug with U-turn belts, where materials will get randomly stuck. It can take as long as 30mins to happen, or as short as 2 mins, its totally random, and it sucks. I used a lot of U-turns in my earlier design, and was forced to run all around regularly to fix stuck belts.
I found a fix-around by simply making larger turns and avoiding all possible U-turns.
Here an exemple:

Now, here is a few ways to manipulate the two lanes of a belt:

1- An inserter take from the belt to put on another that rejoin the first belt.

2- Inserters take from two opposite belts to put on a common one.

3- Making a two-lane belt join another on the side, it convert it to a single lane. Do the same on the other side, and you have an easy way to have two different materials on a single lane.

4- Two belts going toward each other, joining a third one that exit at 90°, and you have an easy two-lane belt.

5- Similar to 5, I used this method a lot at the beginning, but with the U-turn bug and the method number 4, I barely use it now. The method is similar, having inserters put material on belts going opposite side, and making one of the belt join the other.

rymn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Big factory with classification yard

Post by rymn »

Absolutely beautiful!

Mysteria9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mysteria9 »

That was an enjoyable read, thank you! Very nice of you to show the u-turn bug solutions too.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Mysteria9 wrote:That was an enjoyable read, thank you! Very nice of you to show the u-turn bug solutions too.
The U turn problem will be solved in the next release (0.2.8)

When I see this, I think that we will have to implement some google maps like export sooner or later :)

MatLaPatate
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MatLaPatate »

Icebird, is it me or ... you posted exactly the same thing, translated in french on the french forum, CanardPC ? ^^

Icebird
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Icebird »

Absolutly. I posted on the french forum first, as I'm french and its my usual community, but thought you could appreciate it in english here ;)

Mysteria9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mysteria9 »

kovarex wrote:I think that we will have to implement some google maps like export sooner or later :)
That would be neat! :)

Angelic
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Angelic »

Icebird wrote:Absolutly. I posted on the french forum first, as I'm french and its my usual community, but thought you could appreciate it in english here ;)
We do, very much so :) Thanks for this! Obviously took some effort :)

Wazzebu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Wazzebu »

I already said to you but your factory is very impressive !! For my next game, i will copie some ideas... :mrgreen:

Return to “Show your Creations”