New to Factorio. First win.

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Mathematician
Inserter
Inserter

New to Factorio. First win.

Post by Mathematician »

Hello! I've just finished my first freeplay game.
What about a tour around my very first factory?
Let's start with overview of the area. All packed up around the starting area. Factory in the center. Oil refinery south. Mines around.
0 Ovewview.jpg
0 Ovewview.jpg (247.23 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
Main factory. Power/labs on the left. Production sections in center. Supply stations in up-left and down-right corners.
1 main factory.jpg
1 main factory.jpg (962.86 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
Powered exclusively with steam. Coal is drained directly from mines (initial deposit was where the top pump is; got depleted just in time I provided alternative). This one line of coal is enough to support whole production.
2 energy.jpg
2 energy.jpg (885.49 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
Labs. Redesigned few times. Now I think maybe serial connection (like in tip showing at start of game) might actually be more space effective. Gonna try this on next run. In contrary to what you see in the picture for most of the game it was blue packs that was missing all the time.
3 labs.jpg
3 labs.jpg (884.31 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
Southern production section. Simple packs produced here. Good I can show it to you after power lines modernization. :D Also notice southern edge is from where the iron plates enter whole production area (opposite as copper).
4A (south) simple packs.jpg
4A (south) simple packs.jpg (1019.89 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
In the middle some advanced tech is going on. Blue, purple (actual bottling factory off screen ;) ) and yellow packs produced here. See that blue packs factory on the left? This one I call 'emergency science accelerant'. Hand-supplied. Leftover from times when getting steady flow of iron AND copper at the same time wasn't so easy and thus circuit production was cripling and stalling everything.
Also you can see here barrel emtying machines. I'm quite fond of how I managed to insert barrel circulation in this tight space.
4B (center) advanced packs.jpg
4B (center) advanced packs.jpg (1013.86 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
In the northen section dominates military production (automated supply) and space-related assembling (build last, big mess :roll: ). Processing units produced here exclusively for rocket controls didn't fit well into initial setup.
On the right you can see stone unload station/smelting point/concrete factory.
4C (north) weaponry and space.jpg
4C (north) weaponry and space.jpg (1019.85 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
A bit lower is station for unloading goods from oil refinery and sending empty barells back for refillment. Train only takes out to refinery when resources are required thanks to circuit network. I got the concept rather quickly and really love it! Ah, and there is an alarm ring right before it leaves in case I would like to take a ride!
Fun fact: barrel factory does not output it's products. It was, but I got enough barrels for my needs. And I was learning to drive a tank nearby. Chest with stored barrels got driven over. :mrgreen: Later I've build special plaza for testing just east from there. And filled it with barrels of course.
5A steel plates and refinery receiver.jpg
5A steel plates and refinery receiver.jpg (1018.48 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
So where does all that iron come in? Initially there was nice spot full of iron with one line of smelters. It has grown to high-throughput smelting station. I'm particularly proud of implementing filtering system that allows to deliver both iron ore and iron plates into factory.
6A iron input.jpg
6A iron input.jpg (898.54 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
Copper in the opposite end of factory. Same story. Accepts ore and plates. You can see 3 stages of smelters expansion.
6B copper input.jpg
6B copper input.jpg (943.6 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
Time to get into train and trip to the oil refinery:

Oh! Limit of 10 attachements per post, I guess. I will be right back in the 2nd part.
Last edited by Mathematician on Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mathematician
Inserter
Inserter

Re: New to Factorio. First win.

Post by Mathematician »

So after a short train trip here we are again. Oil processing center. A bit less dense than main factory:
7A refinery.jpg
7A refinery.jpg (875.38 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
Closeup on production area. Nothing special, I guess. Lot of experimentation took place here but result is not as scary as one could expect from a newbie.
7B refinery setup.jpg
7B refinery setup.jpg (910.32 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
And here how I solved automatic suplly of goods required for plactics, batteries and explosives.
7C refinery supply station.jpg
7C refinery supply station.jpg (964.09 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
Trains come to refinery from this multi-station. Here also coal supply for main factory originates. Notice how gargantuan is this deposit.
8A refinery supply mines.jpg
8A refinery supply mines.jpg (916.98 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
A bit more simple copper mining station just outside of main factory.
8B copper mine.jpg
8B copper mine.jpg (958.59 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
And for the sake of complete presentation: iron and stone mines:
8C iron mine.jpg
8C iron mine.jpg (818.97 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
8D stone mine.jpg
8D stone mine.jpg (828.26 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
Let's pick the right track and get back to finish the tour :D
9 intersection.jpg
9 intersection.jpg (881.11 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FINALLY:
This is me standing next to rocket silo with sirens on. Getting ready to send my first satellite into space!
10.jpg
10.jpg (916.14 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great feeling. I like this game.
[End of first playthrough report]

fortunisthelock
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: New to Factorio. First win.

Post by fortunisthelock »

WOW you ran that whole thing on coal! that's impressive, it looks like you have everything pretty compact, and grats on completion.

Return to “Show your Creations”