No non-starter resources near spawn in 1.0

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

Tongs
Inserter
Inserter

No non-starter resources near spawn in 1.0

Post by Tongs »

I upgraded to Factorio 1.0 and decided to start over. I am using whatever the latest version of RSO is via the in-game update.

When I generate a map, I get the usual starter resources at the center of the map. However, I am not seeing any non-starter resources for over 1km away. I scouted by using console commands to reveal the map, and I had to go up to 1.5 km before I saw any other resources.

Am I just unlucky in the maps I tested, or is there a new bug that wasn't there a week ago?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: No non-starter resources near spawn in 1.0

Post by orzelek »

I'd need to get a save from you or at least map exchange string.
Did you increase the starting area size per chance?
Starting area size is a direct multiplier to area without resources and biters around start so with high value there you will need to travel a bit :D

Tongs
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tongs »

I did increase starting area size. I thought that might have been the reason, except biters were much closer than the non-starter resources. If they started at roughly the same distance from (0, 0) that would make perfect sense to me and I would be okay with that.

I tried several maps, mostly variants on this exchange string, with the exact same results:

Code: Select all

>>>eNpjZICDBnsQ5mBJzk/MWb1Kyw4o5MDAcMCBKzm/oCC1SDe/K
BVZmDO5qDQlVTc/E1Vxal5qbqVuUmJxKsxEsKmZRfl56CawFpfk5
6GKlBSlphYja+QuLUrMyyzNRdfLwCjquXdHQ4scAwj/r2dQ+P8fh
IGsB0A1IMzA2ABRCRSDAkbZ5Py8kqL8HN3i1JKSzLx0q9z8zOKS0
qJUq6TMxGIOAz1TAxBgTc7JTEtjYFBwBGInsE5GxmqRde4Pq6bYM
0LM0nOAMj5ARQ4kwUQ8YQw/B5xSKjCGCZI5xmDwGYkBsbQEaAVUF
YcDggGRbAFJMjL2vt264PuxC3aMf1Z+vOSblGDPaOgq8u6D0To7o
CQ7yAtMcGLWTBDYCfMKA8zMB/ZQqZv2jGfPgMAbe0ZWkA4REOFgA
SQOeDMzMArwAVkLeoCEggwDzGl2MGNEHBjTwOAbzCePYYzL9uj+A
AaEDchwORBxAkSALYS7jBHCdOh3YHSQh8lKIpQA9RsxILshBeHDk
zBrDyPZj+YQzIhA9geaiIoDlmjgAlmYAideMMNdAwzPC+wwnsN8B
0ZmEAOk6gtQDMKDpGiIURBawIEZkSuByYJh2qu57gA7LbK9<<<
Then I sped up scouting around with this console command:

Code: Select all

/c local radius=1500
game.player.force.chart(game.player.surface, {{x = -radius, y = -radius}, {x = radius, y = radius}})

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

You have set starting area size to 600%.
This will set up area around starting point with size of about 1.2k tiles for starting area (approximately circle around starting point).

When I use this map string nearest resources are around 1.3k in x or about 900,900 on diagonal which seems correct.

Tongs
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tongs »

Thanks. Appears to be a non-issue, then.

I guess I never noticed until now. I thought RSO ignored starting area size for resource generation, as opposed to biter generation. Clearly, I thought wrong.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Bumping because the issue mentioned just above came up again :
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1626861552?t=5h20m3s
(Not sure about biters starting much closer for you, did you check multiple maps against just bad luck ? Did you disable RSO biter generation and enable vanilla biter generation ??)

It would be *really* nice to have an additional RSO setting for Starting area resource size, in addition to the already set by the vanilla settings Starting area biter size !
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:35 am
Bumping because the issue mentioned just above came up again :
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1626861552?t=5h20m3s
(Not sure about biters starting much closer for you, did you check multiple maps against just bad luck ? Did you disable RSO biter generation and enable vanilla biter generation ??)

It would be *really* nice to have an additional RSO setting for Starting area resource size, in addition to the already set by the vanilla settings Starting area biter size !
I'm kind of doing the minimum maintenance atm mostly.
Having a separate setting sounds nice but also would let you fool biters by setting base one to 600% and resource one to 100%.
Maybe when we get DLC?

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

orzelek wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:52 pm
but also would let you fool biters by setting base one to 600% and resource one to 100%.
To be fair, the vanilla game already lets you do this. :) But also, for those of us that set the resource regions to something huge, it'd be good to have a larger guaranteed no biter area around us without having to massively affect the rest of their spawn settings.

That said,
orzelek wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:52 pm
I'm kind of doing the minimum maintenance atm mostly.
[...]
Maybe when we get DLC?
I completely get this. :)
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Ignalion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ignalion »

The issue is even more pressing in case of using the overhaul mods like A+B or IR3.
Especially IR3. The main goal of RSO is to push players to use trains but in IR3 you need iron to research and build trains and iron is not a basic resource.
So in case of big starting area you will always face the problem that in order to use trains you need to go miles to obtain iron (and probably setup a bootstrap base) and fight biters for it, that might be already tough at this time.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Ignalion wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:38 pm
The issue is even more pressing in case of using the overhaul mods like A+B or IR3.
Especially IR3. The main goal of RSO is to push players to use trains but in IR3 you need iron to research and build trains and iron is not a basic resource.
So in case of big starting area you will always face the problem that in order to use trains you need to go miles to obtain iron (and probably setup a bootstrap base) and fight biters for it, that might be already tough at this time.
AFAIK in IR3 iron is not in starting area by design. That is the intention of the mod and it should not spawn without RSO in starting area also.
If you play IR3 with RSO be prepared to make mining outpost and haul your first iron in monowheel.

Ignalion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ignalion »

orzelek wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:25 pm
Ignalion wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:38 pm
AFAIK in IR3 iron is not in starting area by design. That is the intention of the mod and it should not spawn without RSO in starting area also.
If you play IR3 with RSO be prepared to make mining outpost and haul your first iron in monowheel.
Well, there's no oil in starting area in vanilla as well but RSO adds it sooo.
The idea of riding monowheel or that other thing for thousands and thousands of irons from 300% starting area in RSO sounded dumb for me so I just removed that restriction in lua config and let iron spawn in starting area as oil does, issue solved :)
Still, with the requested option iron patch would've been closer than 300% and indeed closer than biters start to spawn. That is, the vanilla works that way, because vanilla's starting area works for enemies only and not for the resources.

So it's not clear for me why it is different in RSO, I mean, was that intended or just by a coincidence, but even if it does work that way, it's nice to have another vanilla-like option for enemies starting area

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

What I actually want is to have a starter resource area and a separate no aliens area. Having advanced resources further away isn't bad. But that it also means they are covered by aliens is bad.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

FYI as to what might be done, there's also this mod, IIRC I took inspiration from it when balancing BobDiggity :

Oreverhaul
by Reika
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”