Strange bug when regenerating on an existing map.

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

benyboy1402
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Strange bug when regenerating on an existing map.

Post by benyboy1402 »

So, Halfway through making my new factory, I decided to introduce RSO into my save. So I intstalled it, ran /rso-regenerate and let it run. It regenerated everything and it worked fine. After a while though, I found that I needed to expand further and the oil that was available was not sufficient, so I explored for a bit and found bugger all. So i ran /c game.player.force.chart() to generate new chunks and found something interesting... It seems that /rso-regenerate only generated inside the area I had explored and then a little more. After that was a massive patch of empty space and then ages away was the rest of the ores and biters? Thought this was a bit odd and that the devs might want to check it out maybe?
Screenshot of the map
Screenshot of the map
Capture.PNG (431.23 KiB) Viewed 3062 times

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Strange bug when regenerating on an existing map.

Post by orzelek »

It does look a bit strange.. do you have a save before adding RSO so I could try to do it and check whats going on?

I thought it might be starting area size but it doesn't match... and if it changed then it doesn't make sense.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

That looks a bit like the difference between charted map chunks and generated map chunks. @orzelek are you sure /regenerate uses the latter? (i know i know, it's unlikely, just asking to be sure...)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I'm using game provided list of chunks to regenerate. I would think it's a correct list that contains all the chunks.

benyboy1402
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by benyboy1402 »

orzelek wrote:It does look a bit strange.. do you have a save before adding RSO so I could try to do it and check whats going on?
Here you go. The current and pre-mod saves are attached. There are a few other mods installed too, so you may need them to play the current save? not sure, either way they are:
  • Bottleneck
  • FARL
  • Recursive blueprints
  • RSO
  • Smarter trains
  • Squeak through
  • The Fat Controller
  • YARM
  • Upgrade builder and planner 1.6
P.S. The area that is covered by the center chunk of RSO generated ores/biters was the explored area at the time when I generated the RSO, it probably went a bit further because of hidden, but nonetheless generated chunks.
Attachments
james_mods.zip
Current file after RSO
(42.93 MiB) Downloaded 118 times
james.zip
Original file before RSO
(10.51 MiB) Downloaded 101 times

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Hmm I redid what you wrote and I get completely different result:
Minimap.jpg
Minimap.jpg (81.7 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
I checked your settings in modded file and I know what happened.
Did you per chance first do the regenerate and only after that modified the settings - especially the region size?

What you are seeing would be a result of modifying region size in a running game without regenerating after that.

benyboy1402
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by benyboy1402 »

orzelek wrote:Did you per chance first do the regenerate and only after that modified the settings - especially the region size?
Ah, that would probably be the cause of it... Didn't think that would affect the generation of resources after I regenerated but I see no reason why it couldn't... :/
Thanks for letting me know!

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

benyboy1402 wrote:
orzelek wrote:Did you per chance first do the regenerate and only after that modified the settings - especially the region size?
Ah, that would probably be the cause of it... Didn't think that would affect the generation of resources after I regenerated but I see no reason why it couldn't... :/
Thanks for letting me know!
Since RSO works in regions and stores the ore data in regions then changing size of region in running game will cause strange things.
It's mostly because already generated areas are stored in a table and when you change region size you are implicitly modifying memory of where ore has been generated.
So increase of region size will cause empty area, reduction of region size will cause increased ore density in certain area.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”