RSO Mod Settings - What Are yours?

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

kurokairaku
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

RSO Mod Settings - What Are yours?

Post by kurokairaku »

Hey there! I always liked this mod when it came to things since it legitimizes trains and makes exploring fun, however with the plethora of settings I do wonder how I could potentially change these to suit my needs. I understand (not really) most of the functions and I can never exactly find a good balance, so I wanted to know the various settings for others. Out of fear of messing out stuff, I often don't mess with the map mod settings of RSO.

My desire is to have enough stuff nearby to get ready, but to have things in distance, which gets richer and more dense as you go out. I felt the current distance was a tad bit to wide, often having nothing nearby for many minutes till I finally come across, lets say stone. The things seem too sparse and rare as it is now. Even using Big Brother mods often yield barely anything nearby in them huge squares, needing upwards to 4 to find any other extra resource (maybe I got unlucky with generation?). Most of what i want is provided and done by RSO, which also makes me curious if presets still matter.

Do you know of a good setting I could use, or do you happen to have a fun one yourself. If you have one yourself, why do you have your settings the way they are, and what mods do you use along side it. If you want me to elaborate more on my desires, let me know.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: RSO Mod Settings - What Are yours?

Post by orzelek »

If I your main concern is that things are a bit to wide then try reducing region size by 1 or 2. It makes everything more dense in a way. Be aware that it also applies to biters.
Alternative way might be to change ore spawn chance to make ore patches more frequent.
You can try combination of both of those approaches to find density that is more appealing for you.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

hi, this was my initial feeling as well when i first started using rso...
it had some cool options, including for biters, but i always assumed that Frequency would make a lot more ore patches nearby, so that i didnt have to walk for miles (and dont usually like using trains until i complete the research tree lol)

i really do appreciate that you kindly looked into my other request for compatibilty with dustines mod, (from this thread) viewtopic.php?f=79&t=54614#p337715
but if there is any way to also be able to add an option to let some players be able to use some cool aspects from rso ,but also a bit like vanilla (to be able to make more frequent patches, but of a controllable Richness and Size, i think it will be really cool, especially for people who might be like me who want to go from patch to patch without needing to explore for ages at the start ,or use trains until later)? :)

am only making the suggestion here as saw another player sounded like they had a similar feeling too
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Frequency works differently with RSO - I added short description on mod page some time ago.
What you want is region size change - making region smaller then default 7 will result in everything being more dense on the map.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

cool thanks i will give that a go :)
it works very well, thanks for the info - i guess i got used to "frequency" being the keyword, but can now use the "region" setting. thanks again :)
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”