RSO for 0.16

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

Should RSO be continued for 0.16?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 105

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

RSO for 0.16

Post by orzelek »

Due to resource generation changes in 0.16 all the ores are less frequent by design. It seems to make RSO a bit obsolete currently.
Small pool here to see what people think about continuing RSO or considering 0.16 changes to be enough.

Griggers
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: RSO for 0.16

Post by Griggers »

Having more options is usually better.

The main advantage with RSO is that you can tweak the ore settings yourself if you desire.
You are very limited with this in the vanilla generation.
And I really don't like the massive vanilla oil fields.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Griggers wrote:Having more options is usually better.

The main advantage with RSO is that you can tweak the ore settings yourself if you desire.
You are very limited with this in the vanilla generation.
And I really don't like the massive vanilla oil fields.
I only noticed the oil fields after the post.. and they are quite big indeed.

agmike
Inserter
Inserter

Post by agmike »

The new vanilla resource generation seems... random. I feel like the size options have little to no effect on generation, for example creating huge 4M copper field at spawn with size set to very low. Also oil fields are HUGE, their area is the same as ores. After spending 1hr+ trying to generate something that I would like, I ended up fixing RSO factorio version and it worked without a hitch.

Overall, while I liked visuals and biome generation, resource generation and terrain features (water, cliffs) seem too uncustomizable, random and generally worse than 0.15. For example I could easily get nice infrequent big lakes before with very low frequency and very big size, but creating such landscape in 0.16 seems impossible.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I'll update the current version on latest release and put it out.
Might buff iron a bit since base game did that and remove uranium from start area per release notes of 0.16.

Griggers
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Griggers »

Maybe you should change uranium spawning as well like they did in vanilla.
Make it start spawn from the 2nd region and not from the 1st counting after the starting region.

PS Thanks for updating.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Griggers wrote:Maybe you should change uranium spawning as well like they did in vanilla.
Make it start spawn from the 2nd region and not from the 1st counting after the starting region.
I don't have anything like this coded now and it has potentiall for messing up stuff. Disabling it from start area should be enough.

Tyrindor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tyrindor »

Yes. I couldn't even find a map I liked after 2 hours of trying and the very first map I generated with RSO was good. I listed a bunch of reasons here: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... t_for_016/

I will say that RSO biter generation seems kinda pointless now. Vanilla biter generation is much less dense, and now we have ways to easily combat biters in the late game with artillery. Try generating a few maps with them on/off, you can more or less achieve the same results with vanilla settings now. I ended up disabling RSO biters because I prefer not to alter things that don't need to be altered.

cpw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by cpw »

It looks like you don't work with the preview map button. There's no ores there at all.

Preview:
Screenshot from 2017-12-14 13-34-05.png
Screenshot from 2017-12-14 13-34-05.png (337.84 KiB) Viewed 12664 times
Actual world:
Screenshot from 2017-12-14 13-36-18.png
Screenshot from 2017-12-14 13-36-18.png (91.19 KiB) Viewed 12664 times

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

There is no chance for me to add ores to preview - RSO actually disables all autoplace definitions.
I will add a note to mod page that it doesn't work with preview.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

It's not obsolete at all. Even with resources being rarer, there are still pretty frequent. It depends on the RNG, but even with very low frequency you can get huge patches close by. Especially oil.
And uranium seems to be way too common.

RSO offers a lot more control. I also love the guaranteed resources in the starting area and that they are very close together.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Currently there are about 4 options in the stock game for biters, all of them with about 10x more biter bases than I want. RSO has made the game enjoyable for me in that it allows me to spend (far) less than half the game clearing out bases.

(Also, it's worth it for "No trees on ore patches" alone!)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

5thHorseman wrote:(Also, it's worth it for "No trees on ore patches" alone!)
I need to play with this actually a bit. It seems that support for this has been now included in base game so in theory I could stop searching for trees by hand.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

hi orzelek, ive been using rso in pretty much all my games, starting from 0.14 factorio and it has been cool :)
(this was with a mixture of mods, mainly angels and bobs arumba pack plus some more)

please find a summary of below for you:
1) cool mod, especially using Donut shapes :)
2) please can you help support yuoki, thorium, and dustines new ores (none of those appear)
3) am i selecting any wrong configs as i cant seem to make lots of small patches appear?

and please find more details in case it helps:

i tried a new game (a few times now), to play a game in Factorio Version 0.16.16 (exp) with RSO v3.5.4 with mainly Angels, Bobs, and Yuoki (i called it AngelBobYoki) :) plus 1 mod from Dustine, but RSO gave a couple of error message about missing an ore, for example for this mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/yaiom/downloads

"the actual message was thorium ore (and ferricupric ore) is not configured in rso, it wont be spawned"

also, apart from the starting area, (with or without "donut shapes" being used), i am no longer able to spawn all the other resources with "very high frequency" & "small".
i used to be able to do this before, especially for my PyCoal game, as it was really a lot of fun, walking around and finding lots of small patches of random ore, but needing to move the mining drill after an hour or so, when it ran out, forcing me to expand but not needing to go too far.

please see some examples in case they help:
(i started near the green box area, and walked around quite far, but hardly found any more resources... apart from in the last example where there are lots)

i will try some more tests without rso and swap some mods around but if you have a chance to have a look, it will be cool :)
Attachments
rso-green_starting_area-Fv0.16.16-rest_not_really_having_any_patches2-rso_v3.5.4.png
rso-green_starting_area-Fv0.16.16-rest_not_really_having_any_patches2-rso_v3.5.4.png (126.36 KiB) Viewed 11422 times
rso-green_starting_area-Fv0.16.16-rest_not_really_having_any_patches1-rso_v3.5.4.png
rso-green_starting_area-Fv0.16.16-rest_not_really_having_any_patches1-rso_v3.5.4.png (108.19 KiB) Viewed 11422 times
rso-green_starting_area-Fv0.15.31-lots_of_lovely_small_ore_patches.png
rso-green_starting_area-Fv0.15.31-lots_of_lovely_small_ore_patches.png (133.8 KiB) Viewed 11422 times
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

For the missing ores - please post list of all mods that have missing ores.

As for screens - the 15.31 one looks like running without RSO.
16.16 ones look ok - you didn't go very far to explore.
Setting everything to very high frequency doesn't actually change anything in RSO. Small size doesn't affect spawning chances at all - it affects size and richness of patch.

If you have specific suspect scenarios then it's easiest for me if you post zipped mods somewhere like dropbox or wetransfer. And then post map gen strings or actual saves. Please include mod settings from mods folder so all the options are stored.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

thanks orzelek, i rechecked my old folder and i think youre right there was no rso on the 0.15 version of factorio,

i tried a lot of different mods and settings to see, so will need some more time to find the main settings i was trying before and get a modzip for you, but thanks please give me some time and i sort that out for you.

I'm not too sure where the thorium came from, but the missing ferricupric ore came from this mod by dustine: (its a mod that lets us scan deep underground to find hidden ore fields :)
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/yaiom
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

foodfactorio wrote:...
I'm not too sure where the thorium came from, but the missing ferricupric ore came from this mod by dustine: (its a mod that lets us scan deep underground to find hidden ore fields :)
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/yaiom
This mod might be a problem - I will need to look into how it works since I had issues with RSO and mods that add resources discovery in some way.
As for thorium - run the game with RSO off, find a patch and check in tooltip what mod adds the ore.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

thanks about checking dustines mod,

i used sandbox mode to buy 1 unit of thorium ore, and it looks like it comes from bobores_0.16.2
and i also asked bob if it is still used, in case it was an early idea before 0.16 of factorio and no longer needed?
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=54612&p=338692#p338692

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

foodfactorio wrote:thanks about checking dustines mod,

i used sandbox mode to buy 1 unit of thorium ore, and it looks like it comes from bobores_0.16.2
and i also asked bob if it is still used, in case it was an early idea before 0.16 of factorio and no longer needed?
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=54612&p=338692#p338692
Yaiom support is waiting for now - it doesn't work properly with current mod implementation.
Thorium is not used in bob's mods - it will only show up if you explicitly enable it in settings.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

oh ok thanks for the info about the mods,
ok no problem, if you get a chance for it to work with yaiom sometime, no rush, whenever you can, it will be cool :)

edit: oops i just saw the latest info here - thanks for working with dustine on this :)
viewtopic.php?f=93&t=56737#p338763

(on the note about yuoki, i found out i think from steinio, that yuoki ores are actually still available, it is just that they are obtained by the angels refining processes, rather than having a physical presence on the map as ore patches) - so no issue there on yuoki.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”