Clustering of ore fields for rail world

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Clustering of ore fields for rail world

Post by mrvn »

When I play with RSO it seems that ores are spread more or less evenly all around the map. So wherever I go there is some ore and it all just becomes one big messy megabase with a wall around it and all aliens inside killed.

I think for a rail world setup it would be nicer if ore fields would be clustered closer together with larger areas without resources inbetween. That way it makes more sense to explore around the aliens to find a cluster and build a mining outpost instead of simply expanding from the center. Would that be possible?

I would even prefer this for a normal game. I keep running out of space to build stuff because everywhere I turn there is some ore field. Even if its just 10k or something equally small I always feel like I should mine that first instead of building over it. But with infinite ores there is no mining stuff away to get a clear building area. You have to waste some ores or split everything up into tiny fractions that you can place around them.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Clustering of ore fields for rail world

Post by orzelek »

I think this could be done with few tweaks to generator.
Setting really big region size and then making it roll few times in same area should give results that you described.

Might try it if v16 doesn't bring any big changes to generation on it's own.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”