Island Maps

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

Gladaed
Inserter
Inserter

Island Maps

Post by Gladaed »

Hi,

I'd love the idea of having a map generator feature that inverts land and water on each tile so you can play a map consisting of Islands. (Or is there a easier way with current mods)

EDIT: Encountered a probable bug: The spawn may not be on land and should be filled with a sphere or sth. similair. Also Islands could be connected via bridges by a certain probability. (But thats way advanced and takes time. So rather not)
Last edited by Gladaed on Mon May 29, 2017 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Island Maps

Post by Distelzombie »

Oh thats really cool!
I'love to try that.
Complete 2-Lane system as a Blueprint-Book! The perfect OCD reactor? Testing chained science lab efficiency Please use real prefixes and proper rounding!

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

It's a new mod that you are looking for :D

Also something similar might be available as water maze mod but I think it wasn't updated to 0.15.
From some posts on the forum it seems that overriding map gen is more complex then only resources - and also RSO in it's current form wouldn't work well with a mod like that.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

And you better hope you have enough stone on your starting island and the game in general to build tons of landfill.

Or mod some more and instead of trains have ships.

Gladaed
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gladaed »

Orzek can you tell me how the map generation works? (Or shorter: the resources are sprinkled ontop of the landmasses after they generated right? You could just invert the sign in the water generation step and get an inverse map. (at the point at which if perlin>threshold))

I tried reading your code but failed miserably as i have no idea where as to start.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

RSO doesn't do anything with terrain itself - it's all base game generated. It actually assumes that it can expect terrain to be ready when it places resources.
There is a bit of code that manipulates terrain in straight world files in library folder - it redoes terrain there so it can be useful to take a look.

Gladaed
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gladaed »

Do you know weather i can look at the c++ code / weather the land generation is even modable?
Or how i can write a method that get's called before your resource generation?

Gladaed
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gladaed »

I just found the factorio api ... working on a mod

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”