[MOD 0.10.2] Resource Spawner Overhaul - v1.0.2

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

Rockstar04
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.10.2] Resource Spawner Overhaul - v1.0.2

Post by Rockstar04 »

psorek wrote:How does biter regeneration work? If I've got already developed factory on map, is there a chance biters will spawn inside the factory? Can I prevent that?
From what I understand from reading and using the mod, it will not try to change an existing map in any way, to see the new resources (and enemies) you will need to explore new areas of the map

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SirRichie »

The mod keeps track of the regions it has spawned resources in. It will also only generate resources in chunks that have not yet been charted.

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

What I found out:

1) When launched on existing map, it rearranges resources even in already generated areas. And spawns biters everywhere.
2) in version .11 it has got some bugs due to multiplayer, when trying to generate resources by '/c remote.call("RSO", "regenerate")'. error pops saying there is more than one player.

I haven't found yet a way to use it on existing map, but I'm looking for it.

TiTaN_3000
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TiTaN_3000 »

I seems like orepatches need to have a certain size, or the "richness_distance_factor=1.03" wont apply.

If i run realy far away there are big ore patches with over 20k in one tile and small ore patches with only 400.
(richness_distance_factor=1.03 -- 3.0 relative % per region distance ~ 2.1x mult @ 25 regions distance)

Edit: Nevermind, dont forget to disable vanilla resource spawner.

Khyron
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khyron »

Great mod! I have two questions...
1. I'm having a bit of trouble using this mod with Roadworks. Small patches of limestone are appearing far too frequently. It's as if limestone is not being managed by RSO.

I used default settings for both mods before trying different settings in RSO (override_type = 'full', limestone allotment=35). Didn't seem to change the way limestone was being spawned. Any suggestions?

2. Why do oil deposits spread out so much? Is there a setting that can make the field more smaller in radius but still contain the same amount of well spots? I gather size={min=6, max=12} determines 6 to 12 oil spots per field.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Khyron wrote:Great mod! I have two questions...
1. I'm having a bit of trouble using this mod with Roadworks. Small patches of limestone are appearing far too frequently. It's as if limestone is not being managed by RSO.

I used default settings for both mods before trying different settings in RSO (override_type = 'full', limestone allotment=35). Didn't seem to change the way limestone was being spawned. Any suggestions?

2. Why do oil deposits spread out so much? Is there a setting that can make the field more smaller in radius but still contain the same amount of well spots? I gather size={min=6, max=12} determines 6 to 12 oil spots per field.
Im having the same issue, but Ive not yet tried messing with config files yet (no idea what they do and didnt want to screw things up more).

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Any idea if this mod is maintained currently?

It's not configured to interact with quite a few ores from other mods and it seems like a nice way to change resources.
Would be cool to expand it to add all those resources.

PS.
I can confirm that limestone is probably no longer managed by this mod properly - it seems that resource name has been changed.

Khyron
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khyron »

Ok, this thread is pretty confusing so let me post an update for anybody wondering what's going on here.

Dark, the original creator of this mod was last seen on this forum 17 Sep 2014, according to the profile.

AnodeCathode stepped up and maintained an unofficial version of RSO which is now version 1.0.7 and available for download on github. That version works with the current version of Factorio (0.11.20) and other mods (DyTech, Bob's, Roadworks).

HOWEVER, be aware that you almost certainly need to change the settings of the mod to have it actually do anything. In the config.txt file, look at:
override_normal_spawn = false
override_type = 'partially'

The txt file is well documented and explains those settings and their alternative values.

Any resource field created by RSO will show up on the info panel like so:
If you don't see that, the resource is being spawned by some other code.

IMHO at this point, this thread should be abandoned and AnodeCathode should create a new thread with up-to-date details in the first post. If and when Dark returns, this thread could be resurrected if Dark wishes to take back control of RSO. I say that in the interests of having this very, very useful mod accessible to the most possible people.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Thanks for the summary Kyron.

I can see that there are still a lot of small changes posted by people to add various mod compatibilities to the main mod.
It would be cool to get those integrated into AnodeCathode's version and put up new thread for it.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

Yes, I think it would be good for AC to make a new thread. Much more convenient for newbies to find an up to date copy of the mod.

iGi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by iGi »

AnodeCathode's github should be up to date with the changes posted here in this thread. I usually pushed the changes back except the Uranium power mod.
But you will have to download the source (not the release), because the v1.0.7 release is quite some time ago and there where some additions since then. (for example support for yuoki industries)

Alternatively, if you feel adventurous, you can download my fork on github. I moved each mod into their own file so the config.lua isn't that crowded anymore.
Also added a check on startup that will post a message to the player, if a resource is found for which no config exists in RSO.
I just quickly made a release with the latest changes.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I might try - I'm coming here from Shadow's mod pack and also trying to fix the endless resources mod somehow to work correctly there.
It turned out that fixing RSO is kind of complex and I still can't get endless resources to play well with ores and oil/lava.

Edit:
I think something went wrong there - after adding rso 1.0.8 to shadows mod pack I get a lot of resource unsupported prints. It looks like something is not hooking up correctly.

Edit 2:
I resigned for now - I have no idea how to debug whats going wrong on the config stage. The 1.0.2 thats included in the pack now grabsbase ores correctly and works with them and spawners.

Ailure
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ailure »

Khyron wrote: IMHO at this point, this thread should be abandoned and AnodeCathode should create a new thread with up-to-date details in the first post. If and when Dark returns, this thread could be resurrected if Dark wishes to take back control of RSO. I say that in the interests of having this very, very useful mod accessible to the most possible people.
Fully agreed. Most people tend to assume the first post is the most up to date, me being guilty of that as well until I found out the mod isn't working with the latest version of Factorio, forcing me to look for the unoffical version :).

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

Agreed, plus I wish to make a "tutoriel" to how configure it.

It's very clear and obvious for me now, already well explained and subtitled, but when I opened it the first time, with my very bad english knowledge and zero programming skills, I almost gave up.
Just simple colored square, and maybe translate in languages (ask me if you want in french), make it way more obvious.
tutorial
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

Tristitan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tristitan »

sounds good, i have a little request though

i use shadows mega mod pack and he has removed rso from it because half the mods in it are not supported so you dont know which ones to turn off in the map generator

i was wondering if someone could either update the existing one or help me add the ones needed for the mega pack into it

this mod has made my games so much more fun, i like having to use trains and also the vanilla ore generation annoys me greatly

thanks in advance

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

If you take a look above iGi made some fork with updates - I tried to use it but it wouldn't work for me and I didn't investigate further.

RSO seems very complex in places so it's hard to grasp whats happening at glance. And from what I noticed it would make much more difficult so it would require a bit more then simply adding ores to make it workable.

iGi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by iGi »

I will try to fix the issues with shadows mod pack. If just some resources are missing, it shouldn't be that hard... hopefully :)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

It spammed me with ore missing messages like all of them were missing. Thats what got me confused really.

iGi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by iGi »

I figured it out why the resource configs weren't found. I will fix it tomorrow.

If anyone knows to which mods the following resources belong, that would help me a lot.
  • clover-patch
  • holes
  • rare-earth
  • greenleaf-ore
  • uranium-ore
  • uraninite
  • fluorite
  • gems
  • ardite-ore

Cheata
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cheata »

hi already fixed this myself if you want the code ...needs balancing though

the ores in question are as follows
  • clover-patch agrimod, non-autoplace ore dont worry about it
  • holes F-MOD, not sure how these work but deffinatly not auto-place so not worth worring about
  • rare-earth replicators mod
  • greenleaf-ore mofarming non-autoplace ore dont worry about it
  • uranium-ore mopower mod
  • uraninite uranium power mod
  • fluorite uranium power mod
  • gems dytech. this is because the exclusion scripts in the dytech settings file is looking for the old version of dytech where as the new version specifys the ore in the core mod rather than warfare..
  • ardite-ore dytech. also check that the cobolt ore added by dytech is covered

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”