[MOD 0.10.2] Resource Spawner Overhaul - v1.0.2

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

Dark
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.10.2] Resource Spawner Overhaul - v1.0.2

Post by Dark »

I'm thinking about implementing "ore finder", that will points towards selected type of ore in 200-300 tile radius.

@Calico
, about 50-60% more on paper, and about 7% out of 100% spawns contained oil with DyTech installed.

@omegasrevenge
, are you sure that you searched for copper in every chunk? It's possible that other mods messed it somehow, but not sure how.

If you want to inspect what was generated by the regenerate command then set 'debug_enabled = true' in the config and regenerate ores again, after that you can find new log in '\script-output\logs\' (script-output folder is in the same folder as mods).
You can then inspect that log and check if there was any copper spawned by RSO, how much and where exactly.

You seeing a lot of other ores because this mod has no idea about them, like first posts state "Any other resource adding mod will still use game's spawning system" this includes Bobs/Yuoki.
Sorry, I don't have plans to include support for more mods in near future, but you can try adding support for more ores by yourself by editing the config.
If you succeed then I'll try to integrate it in this mod. Here few steps to help you:
1. Disable generation of new ores: in new game menu set Size parameter to None for all ores/biters, start the game and travel for a bit (with debug_enabled you'll be given an indestructible car, explore about 4000 chunks or more), then save the game. This will make sure that nothing spawns on map.
2. Search for ' type = "resource" ' in Bobs/Yuoki mods prototypes, you'll find a bunch of records like "gold-ore".
3. Add them to the config file, similar to how iron-ore is added, if adding liquid then similar to lava or crude-oil.
4. Reload save from step 1, regenerate ores and inspect the log file, search for new ores.
Hope it helps.

Calico
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Calico »

Dark wrote:I think about implementing "ore finder", that will points towards selected type of ore in 200-300 tile radius.
Ore Finder would be great... Ressources can be quite far away. Would it display only "real" ore deposists or also the tiny ones that usally don't have more then a fwe hundred in them?

Dark
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dark »

I'll try to make it a bit intelligent and search for most potent deposit in the radius, it would show direction (a nice compass with dot :) ) and roughly estimated amount.

safan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by safan »

yes, it"s definitely needed, i love the distances but i've not found another source of oil yet ...
Attachments
7cities.jpg
7cities.jpg (148.92 KiB) Viewed 9074 times

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

Mod is not compatible with 0.10.7+, see https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=5364
1) Mod filename must match the name from info.json. This check is case sensitive We silently supposed that this would happen for all mods, it should have been made more clear ... now you will get a very uncompromising error message :-)
2) Mod filename may optionally contain version number separated by underscore. If the version number is present, it must again match the version from info.json.
Fixing it is as simple as editing the info.json file to match the folder name, "zz-rso", or the other way around, "rso-mod".

Blackence
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blackence »

I love this mod! I've been playing a game using this for some time and really enjoy the new challenge.

I feel that oil is a little bit too rare, or maybe that's bad luck? I stumbled upon a 2.7 million copper field, and some few-hundred-thousand iron fields relatively close (a minute or two by train with 3 wagons), so that is fine. Also, now that I'm on 100% solar power, there's enough coal as well from a very big coal field I recently added to my train network. The coal outpost started doing its work when my starting area coal had like 200 coal remaining, so that was pretty close. :D

However, I already have 4 different oil outposts (if you want to call them like that – basically just a few pump jacks, solar panels, accus, lasers and barrel handling). And all but one are at 0.1/s already. So far I have found pretty small oil sources only, with a max of 4 oil wells in one spot, so very small compared to iron/coal/copper fields. Is that just as big as they get, or should I explore the map further to find something like 10 or more oil wells in one place to fulfill all my oil needs for a little longer than a few hours? My factory almost came to a halt repeatedly, only producing very small amounts of advanced circuits and batteries, before I managed to find, clear and connect new oil wells.

So.. it's not that I can't find any oil, it's just that there's not a lot of oil in those places. I'm adding speed modules and beacons to get the most out of "empty" oil wells, but I thought that maybe there's some oil field with LOADS of oil waiting for me somewhere. Like you'd expect when seeing the big multi-million chunks of coal, copper, iron.

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

The richness of oil areas gets divided by the number of pump spots, so more wells is actually slightly worse, in so far that they need more pumps. If you skipped any with few wells, go back and check their yield.

Blackence
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blackence »

I skipped no oil area, but thanks for that hint! I'd still prefer 20 wells with only 0.1/s over one well with 2/s, since the 20 wells will never drop to 0/s, but the one well will soon drop to 1/s and then 0.1/s eventually. So for the long term, many almost-depleted wells are much better than a few wells with (currently) high oil output.

It seems like after using another 4 wells I found after raiding an alien base close to my second iron outpost, things are alright again and barrels start to pile up in my home base (actually, the new oil outpost started idling most of the time since most of the barrels are in my main base and full). So… while I needed 5 oil outposts and only 1 copper outpost, it kept me busy at least. And oil delivery by train is way more fun than ore anyway, so I'm happy now.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Does anyone have config so it would work with bob ores? I tried to do it, but i broke the whole thing.

Ok i think i got it, nevermind. :)

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Hello. This looks like an amazing mod and would be the first mod I would install and test out for my first modded series. I was wondering though is there a way to sort of pregen a large part of the world and the map to get an idea of the settings I'm using. Not sure if there is a debug command or something like that.

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

I requested a mod to do just that before. Pregen a larger portion of spawn then normal.

I think we might see it in the future.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:I requested a mod to do just that before. Pregen a larger portion of spawn then normal.

Devs might have something they use themselves. I assume for testing originally.

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Kane wrote:
OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:I requested a mod to do just that before. Pregen a larger portion of spawn then normal.

The devs should have a variable already they just change, but we have no way of getting that variable.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:
Kane wrote:

The devs should have a variable already they just change, but we have no way of getting that variable.
There's already a command to generate a section of the world and explore it at the same time:

Code: Select all

game.forces.player.chart({lefttop = {x = -1024, y = -1024}, rightbottom = {x = 1024, y = 1024}})
Simply change the bounding box to the size you want and it will generate the map and explore it in that area. Keep In mind that command is telling Factorio to generate 64*64 (4096) chunks so it's going to take a while before all the background entity generation (trees, resources, biters) are placed in the world.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Rseding91 wrote:There's already a command to generate a section of the world and explore it at the same time:

Code: Select all

game.forces.player.chart({lefttop = {x = -1024, y = -1024}, rightbottom = {x = 1024, y = 1024}})
Simply change the bounding box to the size you want and it will generate the map and explore it in that area. Keep In mind that command is telling Factorio to generate 64*64 (4096) chunks so it's going to take a while before all the background entity generation (trees, resources, biters) are placed in the world.

Thanks a ton. For anyone else who use this go grab a drink. It generates the world then renders the minimap / world map. So it might look broken but its running in the background.

So I'm trying to pretty much increase the ores. Rather then say the way it is now I like to see it about 2-3 times more. I went and changed region to 4 or 6 size. This caused biters to increase to much. I put their size down more still too dense from the original config.

So I went and tried setting how many nodes min/max spawn per region like iron from 2-4 copper 2-4 rather then 1-2. Not as much so I assume 4 vs 8 regions was about almost 3 times bigger if it's anything like how Minecraft chunks work. So I went 3-6... I noticed that it seem to instead spawn Massive cluster of the Copper and Ore in 3-6 nodes near each other. So it was not spread out and looked really bad lol.

So I'm at a loss on the best way to adjust overall rate of nodes spawning.

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

this mod is awesome, i use it now all the time :P

and this also needs to be updated :D
i changed lava in Metallurgy, and added a new enemy base in Genetics which are not done by RSO
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2
Active since Factorio 0.6

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

After playing this particular game for quite a while, I'm now suddenly running into a crash with RSO:

I'm going to guess RSO needs to generate a new chunk, because it consistently happens when running/driving due west. When I disable RSO and run west, everything's fine. Then I can even reenable RSO and it still seems fine so far (only done a few more minutes since though).

Since it's so easily reproducable, I figured I'd attach the savegame and my set of mods, in case Dark or anyone wants to take a look at it.

Save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9waiffacq5cu ... h.zip?dl=0 (sorry, it's an 80MB autosave)
Mods: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uyw3h658tm8t3 ... s.zip?dl=0 (21MB, these aren't all enabled, but I'm reluctant to take out anything, because that would not make it the exact same situation anymore ;) )

Steps to reproduce:
- load the save
- refresh the destroyers (they're on toolbelt button 4)
- Move west (either in the rail laying machine or on foot) until you get to a huge iron ore field
- observe the crash

*edit* Not entirely sure if it's relevant, but I'll mention it anyway: I started this game with roadworks enabled, but disabled it 18 hours before this crash. I have done some expansion since (regular save went from 57 to 69MB), so it's probably not related.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Molay
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Molay »

Doesn't roadworks introduce a new type of ore? Just a wild guess, but might this a possible cause for a crash on chunk generation if the ore is no longer present due to deactivating the mod?

Edit: Got to play the mod for a good while now. Holy cow. This is seriously hardcore. I usually go all-out big industry with big surplus of production, but I find myself fiddling way more with smart designs now, producing as little as possible of everything I need. And it was no exageration to say this mod promotes trains. I drove for about 10 minutes before I found my first Iron deposit (one that will last me like 10 hours though, so that's fine^^). Not quite sure how I'm going to get rails there, since I'm completely starved on Iron. Possibly just doing some runs with the car first to collect iron, I guess.

It's a very different experience, very hard in my opinion, and pretty darn awesome. I'm loving it! It's most likely not in everyone's taste though :)

Thanks for this mod. It's truly fantastic and offers a whole new experience. I'm going to have a look though if there's some nice train mod out there. That would seem like a perfect fit for this mod.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Molay wrote:Doesn't roadworks introduce a new type of ore? Just a wild guess, but might this a possible cause for a crash on chunk generation if the ore is no longer present due to deactivating the mod?
Yeah, roadworks introduced limestone. And thanks for asking the question, it made me realize it was actually very easy to test that hypothesis :) Turns out it does look to be related to the removal of limestone, the crash doesn't happen after I reenable it. I guess in the 20 hours since disabling roadworks, I hadn't done a lot of exploring so no new chunks have had to be generated. I guess this could be classified as a bug in RSO, the fact that unlike Factorio itself, it doesn't gracefully handle removal of ore from the game. At the very least, it could be useful to mention it in the opening post (if Dark drops by and reads this :) )

Thanks for this mod. It's truly fantastic and offers a whole new experience. I'm going to have a look though if there's some nice train mod out there. That would seem like a perfect fit for this mod.
I've been playing a few games with this mod now, and when I start a game without it I'm always shocked at the amount of resources available nearby. I love in the early game having to closely manage resources and moving out early to find new spots. Last few times, I tend to make a research beeline for solar power to get a few radar stations out there to do some of the exploring for me.

As for train mods, check out the list in the recommended mods section in the opening post. Especially rail layer and fat man are very useful (see https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=6124 for my list of mods and screenshots of the game)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Molay
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Molay »

Glad my wild guess could be of help :) And thanks for pointing me at some mods. Fat man I skipped over every time I saw it, I guess the name being what it is I couldn't picture what it could possibly be doing. After having a look at it, I have to say it is pretty cool and will certainly find it's use! I was hoping to find a train mod that adds more locomotives, possibly faster ones, or slightly slower ones that are not as affect by weight pulled or something, but I guess I can work with what factorio provides :)
I'll certainly give rail layer a shot, although it's own thread scared me a little bit. Sounds a bit too buggy for my taste, but oh well, with so much rail to lay... Might as well try it out!
Awesome map by the way you got there. I was surprised one would go this big on a map with resources being so sparse. Can't wait to get to that stage^^

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”