Overriding values

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

arbarbonif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Overriding values

Post by arbarbonif »

Is there anyway you could add hooks to override ore values? If you unzip the directory and make changes they get wiped when a new version comes out.

It would be nice to be able to create a mod of my own that just overrides the values I want, but I'm not sure how to do it since you aren't using the standard setup with the resourceconfigs. For other mods I can override stuff in a data-final-fixes.lua in a personal tweaks mod, but it doesn't look possible in RSO with the config being created on the fly like it is.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Overriding values

Post by orzelek »

You don't need to do that with mod settings system.
Are there some values from config that you'd like see there that I didn't move yet?

I tried to leave the more obscure ones in config file.

arbarbonif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arbarbonif »

What I do is tweak the multiple resource percentages, what ores can appear with what, and the weighting. So I'm changing the contents of the resourceconfigs files, which isn't exposed in the in game config (and is too complicated for that to be reasonable).

Basically I'm using bob's ores and trying to get some good combinations of ores to setup a distributed factory. I'm not sure that you can put in hooks for that kind of alteration, but as it is I have to save the files I change and hope you don't make any changes that matter in them and if I forget to (which I often do) I need to remake the changes from scratch each update.

DarkSlayerEX
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DarkSlayerEX »

So, you're basically looking for a number based richness setting, for each ore for generation purposes, instead of the "low" "normal" thing?

You can restrict which kinds of ores spawn near others?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Tbh I was thinking about dropping the multiple resources idea completely.
It's currently defined for vanilla and for bob's but not everywhere.

There is a config only toggle to disable it currently.

I'm not sure if it adds anything to game and it's mostly defined by me. It actually increases density of resources above the normal settings.

DarkSlayerEX
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DarkSlayerEX »

Oh, are we talking about those ores like bob's galena which also gives nickel?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

No, it just allows a probablity to spawn second ore when first one is spawned in a region.

arbarbonif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arbarbonif »

I usually try to setup outposts to do certain things. Initially someplace that makes rails, so needs iron and stone (preferable with water nearby). I tweak the multi-resource thing to make that more likely. I also make multi-resources more common, since with Bob's you need so many different things.

I guess if that was gone I would setup differently, maybe make some rails locally then make a "real" rail output that ships in stone (or iron). Then there would be a distinct resource/fabrication dichotomy that might be good. And would make me revisit my rail stations since I'll need so many more inputs for even a "simple" fab.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

There is already a mechanic created to compensate for a lot of resources. It can roll ore multiple times per region and then multi resource works on top of that.
When amount of ores goes above 10 it gets tricky, after 20 it's really bad. I didn't find a good solution for this till now.

Tweaking multi resources to tailor outposts... thats a neat one. If you are willing to go that far I won't kill multi resource support for sure.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”