[0.15.*] Feedback topic

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

Marcontian
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.15.*] Feedback topic

Post by Marcontian »

Marcontian wrote:
Getting this error today. Is it something to do with the move to random generation? RSO version 3.1.0. Factorio build 0.15.5

Code: Select all
Error while running event rso-mod::on_chunk_generated (ID 12)
__rso-mod__/control.lua:1248: bad argument #2 to 'rng' (interval is empty)

It's the result of rng change - built in one is very strict :D
In general it seems to be a result of botched config - are you using bob's ores?
I'll post 3.1.2 soon please test with it - it might fix the issue.
Yes, I did have bob's ores loaded. i'll test it with the next version.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

PiggyWhiskey wrote:I'm just wanting some clarification regards to settings.

With 0.15, do the Vanilla options/settings matter?
If I set the biters to Disabled Evolution or Disabled Expansion, will RSO respect that?

As RSO uses it's own Generation, the Resources Settings don't do anything?

Basically I'd like to use Angels Infinite ores with the Infinite patches in the middle of the Fields.
But that only works with RSO.

So I have to use RSO generation. But I don't want double biters, or the settings to have ores extremely far apart.

Cheers
Resource settings matter - RSO adjusts relative frequency, size and richness of resources based on those.
All other settings are not used and not modified by RSO in any way.

Biters can now be easily enabled/disabled through mod settings and you have choice to use vanilla or RSO ones (or both).

Having ores far apart is a feature and there is no going around it. There is now a region size setting that you can reduce to have them less apart but it has minimum value of 5 currently. I might allow it to go a bit lower but I don't know what will the results be - ore patches will start overlap most likely and that will lead to issues with collision detection system. You can also bump resource chance to 1 so it will guarantee at least one patch per region - overall effect will be that there will be more resources with smaller gaps.

HiddenWolf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HiddenWolf »

I have a megabase-save which was started using RSO. Is there a way to dial back biter generation now that the game is underway?

I never realised that biters were affected by RSO, but I'd like to reduce their frequency by quite a bit to save time.

Tyrindor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tyrindor »

Can this please be fixed? Almost all ore patches do this with the mod installed.

http://imgur.com/a/95xxv

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Tyrindor wrote:Can this please be fixed? Almost all ore patches do this with the mod installed.

I'm not sure tbh.
I would need to chart that area for the force that player is in. And I don't know which player I should chart it for since that information is not contained in the event.
You can "fix" it by getting radar scan of ore or going there so minimap will refresh.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

HiddenWolf wrote:I have a megabase-save which was started using RSO. Is there a way to dial back biter generation now that the game is underway?

I never realised that biters were affected by RSO, but I'd like to reduce their frequency by quite a bit to save time.
I'm not sure... RSO makes biters pretty rare.
Are you sure you don't have vanilla generation option enabled in RSO?
In theory it should be off by default but it might been corrupted. And I'm not sure if you can change it in running game.

If you have only RSO biter generation then there is a biter chance setting that you can adjust and/or biter base size one.

GodricSeer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GodricSeer »

I just updated to the new settings system and found that the resource region number had a maximum set to 30. I had originally configured my game with angel's infinite ores with a distance of 64 so that I had slowly growing but permanent throughput of resources. Is there any way the maximum could be increased in the official release? I know I can update the settings.lua every time I update but it's hard to remember at times.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

GodricSeer wrote:I just updated to the new settings system and found that the resource region number had a maximum set to 30. I had originally configured my game with angel's infinite ores with a distance of 64 so that I had slowly growing but permanent throughput of resources. Is there any way the maximum could be increased in the official release? I know I can update the settings.lua every time I update but it's hard to remember at times.
You mean you used region size of 64?
Thats a loong way but I can up the maximum. I didn't expect that people use such big values.

GodricSeer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GodricSeer »

orzelek wrote:
GodricSeer wrote:I just updated to the new settings system and found that the resource region number had a maximum set to 30. I had originally configured my game with angel's infinite ores with a distance of 64 so that I had slowly growing but permanent throughput of resources. Is there any way the maximum could be increased in the official release? I know I can update the settings.lua every time I update but it's hard to remember at times.
Thats a loong way but I can up the maximum. I didn't expect that people use such big values.
Yes. I usually run on min frequency/max size water, which gives continent like structures. My eventual goal is to make a map that every such "continent" has a single train base creating a single item. Ideally I want about 1/4 of the continents to have an ore/oil patch with min size, default frequency. I found that a region size of 64 gets pretty close to this ( although the game would likely be unplayable without angel's infinite ores). I understand I am a very rare exception, but it would be nice to have my settings handled by the settings.

Adventurer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Adventurer »

Why is 'Use vanilla biter generation' not included in the Map category with all the other RSO settings?

Also, given you said that only the resource settings matter, I started looking into the config to see how much the RSO biters were affected by pollution.. but I don't see any settings for it.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Adventurer wrote:Why is 'Use vanilla biter generation' not included in the Map category with all the other RSO settings?

Also, given you said that only the resource settings matter, I started looking into the config to see how much the RSO biters were affected by pollution.. but I don't see any settings for it.
Vanilla biter generation is a data stage setting that requires game restart to change biter settings. So it needs to be on startup tab.

RSO doesn't change anything about biters and pollution. They behave like in vanilla if no other mods are present. RSO will only change how their bases spawn and only for bases that are not built during biter expansion.

Adventurer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Adventurer »

orzelek wrote:RSO doesn't change anything about biters and pollution. They behave like in vanilla if no other mods are present. RSO will only change how their bases spawn and only for bases that are not built during biter expansion.
I'm confused, you said "Resource settings matter - RSO adjusts relative frequency, size and richness of resources based on those. All other settings are not used and not modified by RSO in any way."

So Pollution and Evolution factor matters as well, but not enemy expansion?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

GodricSeer wrote:
orzelek wrote:
Yes. I usually run on min frequency/max size water, which gives continent like structures. My eventual goal is to make a map that every such "continent" has a single train base creating a single item. Ideally I want about 1/4 of the continents to have an ore/oil patch with min size, default frequency. I found that a region size of 64 gets pretty close to this ( although the game would likely be unplayable without angel's infinite ores). I understand I am a very rare exception, but it would be nice to have my settings handled by the settings.
I released small update with maximum increased to 100.
Be aware that changing this one in runtime might have unintended consequences. Increasing of it will not break most likely - you might just get big area without resources.. or something like that.

Adventurer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Adventurer »

So, when generating a new world in regards to settings, does pollution matter? Does evolution factor matter? Does enemy expansion matter?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Adventurer wrote:So, when generating a new world in regards to settings, does pollution matter? Does evolution factor matter? Does enemy expansion matter?
All of those are vanilla settings and they work normally.
RSO uses and replaces resource settings and enemy base spawning. All others will still work altho with more sparse bases it gets a bit easier - for example pollution might reach enemy bases later on.

Tyrindor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tyrindor »

orzelek wrote:
Tyrindor wrote:Can this please be fixed? Almost all ore patches do this with the mod installed.

I'm not sure tbh.
I would need to chart that area for the force that player is in. And I don't know which player I should chart it for since that information is not contained in the event.
You can "fix" it by getting radar scan of ore or going there so minimap will refresh.
Nothing fixes it, and it happens every ore patch basically. Here's me standing on top of one. Each update I keep hoping it fixes it because it's pretty annoying not being able to see actual ore sizes on the map.

http://imgur.com/a/VPIlL

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Tyrindor wrote:
orzelek wrote:

I'm not sure tbh.
Nothing fixes it, and it happens every ore patch basically. Here's me standing on top of one. Each update I keep hoping it fixes it because it's pretty annoying not being able to see actual ore sizes on the map.

http://imgur.com/a/VPIlL
Hmm it would seems that that minimap is broken and it doesn't update even if you are there.
Might be something to report to devs.
I can't make it reveal the ore for everyone since that would work strangely for multiplayer. And RSO can generate ores you don't see yet so revealing them would be making things easier.

I can try to add option for this that would be off by default. Side effect will be that you'll see each ore generated even if it's slightly outside area you explored.

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Ignoring Tech Cost setting

Post by TheTom »

Trying for a looong marathon game - Tech cost factor 16. Yes, that will be a megabase for research.

Sadly the starting ressources do not take this into account - I have a map here with a tremendous iron amount of... 258k. Not enough to get really going with a rairoad, me thinks. 333k coal will also not last.

Multiple restarts always leave me very lacking.

I understand the "start low, move out" idea behind RSO - but it loks like the Technology Price Multiplier is ignored, meaning that with a high multiplier you are stuck with not enough starting resources.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Ignoring Tech Cost setting

Post by orzelek »

TheTom wrote:Trying for a looong marathon game - Tech cost factor 16. Yes, that will be a megabase for research.

Sadly the starting ressources do not take this into account - I have a map here with a tremendous iron amount of... 258k. Not enough to get really going with a rairoad, me thinks. 333k coal will also not last.

Multiple restarts always leave me very lacking.

I understand the "start low, move out" idea behind RSO - but it loks like the Technology Price Multiplier is ignored, meaning that with a high multiplier you are stuck with not enough starting resources.
I'm sorry but it's not RSO's responsibility to detect how user wants to play the game. And I don't intend to make it take technology price multiplier into account automatically.
There are settings available so that you can adjust for this - you have starting area richness multiplier and global one. Adjust them upwards if you think you don't have enough resources.

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheTom »

Yeah, wel gues what - i did not even know that.

Just found it in the settings, so I can boost up the starting richniss - that way at least I can make it to the train stage with some space before I run out of iron ;) Thanks.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”