[0.15.*] Feedback topic

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

Symposia
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.15.*] Feedback topic

Post by Symposia »

I have:

macOS Sierra
Version 10.12.4

When I try to play with the Resource Spawn Overhaul mod rso-mod 3.3.7 it says I do no have the following Dependencies:

? bobenemies>= 0.13.1
? bobbers
? 5dim_ores

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

They all have question mark - they are not needed for mod to work. Optional dependencies are used to change mod loading order if those mods are present.

Symposia
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Symposia »

I am trying to join my roommate's LAN multiplayer game. He put the RSO mod on the server so I downloaded the mod and tried to join it says 'Mod mismatch. Mod is only on the server." When I look at my mod details it says I am missing those 3 dependencies. Is there a way for me to get them? Or is there something else going on that I don't understand. I don't have much experience with mods, I would really appreciate any help!

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I have no experience with multiplayer really.
If both of you have same version of mod it should work properly.

Are you sure it complains about RSO not some other mod?

Symposia
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Symposia »

Hmm well it seems to be working now. Not sure if I was doing something wrong but I just disabled and then enabled the mod. I tried that earlier too but now it worked. Thanks for responding I really appreciate it!

HiddenWolf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HiddenWolf »

I have a game started in 0.13.X with RSO, and upgraded to 0.15.X along the way.

I just noticed that my depleted oil wells produce 0.3 oil/sec. The minimum for a base game is supposedly 2/sec. Is this intended?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

HiddenWolf wrote:I have a game started in 0.13.X with RSO, and upgraded to 0.15.X along the way.

I just noticed that my depleted oil wells produce 0.3 oil/sec. The minimum for a base game is supposedly 2/sec. Is this intended?
Thats a base game thing. Oil wells changed in 0.15 I think with fluid value changes but I don't think oil wells have been buffed up. If you find an unused one it should be ok.

HiddenWolf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HiddenWolf »

orzelek wrote:
HiddenWolf wrote:I have a game started in 0.13.X with RSO, and upgraded to 0.15.X along the way.

Thats a base game thing. Oil wells changed in 0.15 I think with fluid value changes but I don't think oil wells have been buffed up. If you find an unused one it should be ok.
Would regenerating my resources reset the oil wells as well, or is there another way to fix this without manually destroying and creating new oil wells?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

HiddenWolf wrote:
orzelek wrote:

Would regenerating my resources reset the oil wells as well, or is there another way to fix this without manually destroying and creating new oil wells?
Regeneration will break everything - there were a lot of changes in algorithms since then and there is also uranium now so result will be completely different.
It should be enough to find new oil wells.
You could also change amount of oil in old ones from console but that will disable achievments.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Hi, I was wondering if it were possible to have what resources actually spawn outside the starting area on a map where I use the same map seed & settings to vary a bit, or at least have the option for this? I have one map where I really love the terrain layout so use that seed a lot and have been slowly playing with the various settings to get the biter and resource spawn rates/distances to a point where I like it for a true rail-world type of feel. The problem I'm running into is that with this map seed, it seems like RSO like spawning lots of copper and coal and very little iron or stone (nearest iron was close to 2k chunks away as the crow flies... much further if you consider the bodies of water in between. Stone was closer out to 3-4k, I believe). In the meantime, in between, there were easily dozens of copper and coal spawns. I should note that spawn frequency for all resource types were set the same (very low).

What I'd like to be able to do is that when using an exchange string so I get the same map seed, resource settings, etc, and then when I load it and find that (like above) iron is too far away from my starting area to be accessible/useable, to be able to then reload it and get different resource spawns/layout.

I'm not sure if I'm clearly relaying what's in my head. :P Basically, I have this map/terrain layout I love. But as I play it, I often find that some of the settings I used before were not conducive to the play style I wanted, so I use the map exchange string to prep a new one, tweak some of the settings (and often have to copy/paste the map seed back in), then generate and play. My last run I found resource spawns were often still too close for my liking, and biter spawns were still far too frequent. So, again, I generated a new map with the same seed and slightly tweaked settings, but now for some reason either due to RSO/game updates, or my switching mods in and out, instead of having iron spawn within a manageable distance from my starting area, it is impossibly too far away and even reverting all the settings back to where they were, the iron still spawns in the exact same spot way out there. It'd be nice to have an option added so that if I wanted, it would actually switch up what spawns where even on the same exchange string.

Sorry if that's unclear. It seems like a complex concept for me to try and relay and dealing with people coming in and out of my office talking to me while I was writing it and now have a conference call I need to be on.... Let me know if you need more from me as an explanation or if anyone thinks it's a crappy idea....
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

After starting the game call regen command with true to generate random seed for resources.
This will overwrite map seed in RSO and make resources layout different from default for this map.
Command to do that is:

Code: Select all

/c remote.call("RSO","regenerate", true),

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Thank you. That does appear to do what I was looking for, but it only works on that running game. Loading up a new one again with the same seed results in the original resource placements as if I had never run the command. This means in order for me to get the better resource placements, I need to disable achievements for that game. Is there some way that this feature could be made into a mod option that we can enable/disable that would allow RSO to (essentially) perform this action on map generation and not break achievements?

EDIT: Or actually perhaps what would be better is if the regeneration effect is persistent?

Something else for consideration, too, I don't know if this is possible, but by default giving more commonly needed resources a higher chance of spawning than not as commonly needed resources? I'm not sure if your mod takes into consideration the base game's resource frequency settings? While adjusting these do result in slightly different resources and placements, I can set iron to very high frequency and all the rest to very low and I'll still get several copper and coal spawns to one iron placement in an approximate 1000 chunk radius to my left (the "accessible" area for me).
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

More common resources have bigger chances of spawning. Rest is in rng hands which means it looks unbalanced in places.
It can be especially bad on high water worlds if some resource patches are eaten by water.

There is no good way to have truly random seed on start of the map. Only thing I have is rng that needs to be seeded - and no way to get truly random seed value. Only option would be to have an optional seed to enter in mod settings. This would be pretty difficul to explain to people and I can't properly rng one (no access to semi random stuff like current time or similar things).

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Ah, ok, that would explain it, I think. There is a lot of water on this map, mainly as large bodies like oceans. :P Ok, well with playing with the various settings, I was able to get one iron ore spawn relatively near me. The flip side to that is that the nearest oil spawns are now quite the hike to get to. :lol:

nucleargen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nucleargen »

What about remote interface to add support of unlisted resources to RSO?
The brightest future in the center of a nuclear explosion...2003©nucleargen

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

nucleargen wrote:What about remote interface to add support of unlisted resources to RSO?
It's been discussed already and it is a bit difficult. Code on RSO side would need to do a lot of validation on this and handle out of turn additions (depending on when other mods call remote interface). And since adding new ore affects way it generates everything there could be some other side effects.
Then there is a need to describe all the parameters and some of them are not straightforward to explain.

nucleargen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nucleargen »

orzelek wrote:
nucleargen wrote:What about remote interface to add support of unlisted resources to RSO?
It's been discussed already and it is a bit difficult. Code on RSO side would need to do a lot of validation on this and handle out of turn additions (depending on when other mods call remote interface). And since adding new ore affects way it generates everything there could be some other side effects.
Then there is a need to describe all the parameters and some of them are not straightforward to explain.
Thanks for answer. Can i use your basic generation code in my mod for try to provide flexible remote interface without built-in resource configs?
The brightest future in the center of a nuclear explosion...2003©nucleargen

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

nucleargen wrote:
orzelek wrote:
Thanks for answer. Can i use your basic generation code in my mod for try to provide flexible remote interface without built-in resource configs?
I'm not sure I understand the question.
Most of the mod is generation code :)
And it's not something I'd like to be copied to different mod.
What are you trying to accomplish ?

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Started a new game with Angels for the first time and got this error. It is enabled in Bob's. Don't think I got this error till I added Angels.
Setup:

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Handling of thorium ore was added quite some time ago. And it's still not used by bobs mods even if you enable it (And disabled by default).
Since you have angels ores they normally suppress bob's ores - I'm not sure if they support thorium properly now. If they don't then you might get this message.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”