[0.15.*] Feedback topic

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

udin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.15.*] Feedback topic

Post by udin »

Hi

Love the mod, noticed a potential bug(?) with 0.15.x.

Started a new world and tweaked some of the RSO settings for generating ore - size/richness multipliers etc. via the options -> mod settings menu. These settings take affect OK, exploring new areas of the map result in resources being generated as expected.

After saving, closing the game, then loading the map at a later date, the RSO settings in options -> mod settings have reverted back to default values. Any newly explored areas of the map are generated based on the default RSO settings, not the original settings I specified when creating the map. If I remember to re-enter my custom settings immediately after reloading the map, everything works ok.

Not sure if this is just me or is a genuine bug, also not sure if this is a base game bug or an RSO thing? It sounds like mod settings might not be saved as part of the save game file?

Cheers

Tyrindor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tyrindor »

orzelek wrote:
Tyrindor wrote:
orzelek wrote:
Tyrindor wrote:Can this please be fixed? Almost all ore patches do this with the mod installed.

http://imgur.com/a/95xxv
I'm not sure tbh.
I would need to chart that area for the force that player is in. And I don't know which player I should chart it for since that information is not contained in the event.
You can "fix" it by getting radar scan of ore or going there so minimap will refresh.
Nothing fixes it, and it happens every ore patch basically. Here's me standing on top of one. Each update I keep hoping it fixes it because it's pretty annoying not being able to see actual ore sizes on the map.

http://imgur.com/a/VPIlL
Hmm it would seems that that minimap is broken and it doesn't update even if you are there.
Might be something to report to devs.
I can't make it reveal the ore for everyone since that would work strangely for multiplayer. And RSO can generate ores you don't see yet so revealing them would be making things easier.

I can try to add option for this that would be off by default. Side effect will be that you'll see each ore generated even if it's slightly outside area you explored.
Tried that setting and it still happens. I used the new in-game config option, assuming that works.

Testing is as simple as making a new map and using a reveal config command. It only happens with RSO installed but it could be a vanilla bug that RSO is bringing out. If that's the case it may need to be reported to the developers.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Tyrindor wrote:
orzelek wrote:
Tyrindor wrote:
orzelek wrote:
Tyrindor wrote:Can this please be fixed? Almost all ore patches do this with the mod installed.

http://imgur.com/a/95xxv
I'm not sure tbh.
I would need to chart that area for the force that player is in. And I don't know which player I should chart it for since that information is not contained in the event.
You can "fix" it by getting radar scan of ore or going there so minimap will refresh.
Nothing fixes it, and it happens every ore patch basically. Here's me standing on top of one. Each update I keep hoping it fixes it because it's pretty annoying not being able to see actual ore sizes on the map.

http://imgur.com/a/VPIlL
Hmm it would seems that that minimap is broken and it doesn't update even if you are there.
Might be something to report to devs.
I can't make it reveal the ore for everyone since that would work strangely for multiplayer. And RSO can generate ores you don't see yet so revealing them would be making things easier.

I can try to add option for this that would be off by default. Side effect will be that you'll see each ore generated even if it's slightly outside area you explored.
Tried that setting and it still happens. I used the new in-game config option, assuming that works.

Testing is as simple as making a new map and using a reveal config command. It only happens with RSO installed but it could be a vanilla bug that RSO is bringing out. If that's the case it may need to be reported to the developers.
If you reveal map it will only reveal all the missing ore patch parts after everything else is revealed. It seems thats how vanilla works and it worked for me this way.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

udin wrote:Hi

Love the mod, noticed a potential bug(?) with 0.15.x.

Started a new world and tweaked some of the RSO settings for generating ore - size/richness multipliers etc. via the options -> mod settings menu. These settings take affect OK, exploring new areas of the map result in resources being generated as expected.

After saving, closing the game, then loading the map at a later date, the RSO settings in options -> mod settings have reverted back to default values. Any newly explored areas of the map are generated based on the default RSO settings, not the original settings I specified when creating the map. If I remember to re-enter my custom settings immediately after reloading the map, everything works ok.

Not sure if this is just me or is a genuine bug, also not sure if this is a base game bug or an RSO thing? It sounds like mod settings might not be saved as part of the save game file?

Cheers
Thats interesting.
Technically I'm not modifying settings in any way so it should not be RSO that breaks them. I'll do some testing on it and see if I can reproduce the issue.

Edit:
Did you per chance upgrade game to 0.15.7 in between? It had a fix for settings that forced all of them to be reset.

masneoquil
Inserter
Inserter

Post by masneoquil »

Marcontian wrote:
Marcontian wrote:
Getting this error today. Is it something to do with the move to random generation? RSO version 3.1.0. Factorio build 0.15.5

Code: Select all
Error while running event rso-mod::on_chunk_generated (ID 12)
__rso-mod__/control.lua:1248: bad argument #2 to 'rng' (interval is empty)

It's the result of rng change - built in one is very strict :D
In general it seems to be a result of botched config - are you using bob's ores?
I'll post 3.1.2 soon please test with it - it might fix the issue.
Yes, I did have bob's ores loaded. i'll test it with the next version.
Hello guys
I have RSO version 3.2.0 Factorio build 0.15.9 and I'm getting this error.
Any ideas?

Thanks!!

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

masneoquil wrote:
Marcontian wrote:
Marcontian wrote:
Getting this error today. Is it something to do with the move to random generation? RSO version 3.1.0. Factorio build 0.15.5

In general it seems to be a result of botched config - are you using bob's ores?
Hello guys
Any ideas?

Thanks!!
Please post save and mods as zips here or dropbox them.
I need to see what is broken now exactly.. I don't get it so might have to do with some ore from a mod or something like that.
Number of line from 3.2.0 would also help - I did some restructuring so need a new line number.

Actually.. do try with 3.2.1 that will be up soon. It doesn't die for me but I changed one place that could have caused this. Sadly it will mess up regeneration again so regenerated ores will be in different places.

masneoquil
Inserter
Inserter

Post by masneoquil »

orzelek wrote:
masneoquil wrote:
Marcontian wrote:
Marcontian wrote:

Hello guys
Any ideas?

Thanks!!
Please post save and mods as zips here or dropbox them.
I need to see what is broken now exactly.. I don't get it so might have to do with some ore from a mod or something like that.
Number of line from 3.2.0 would also help - I did some restructuring so need a new line number.

Actually.. do try with 3.2.1 that will be up soon. It doesn't die for me but I changed one place that could have caused this. Sadly it will mess up regeneration again so regenerated ores will be in different places.
Thanks orzelek!!

I tried again with the latest RSO version and i had the error again.
The line it is showing me is 1251.
I leave you here the link to the shared dropbox folder with the save and the mods I'm using.
There are 2 angels mods that are not compatible with 0.15 but they are diabled.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7zfy7a4c5uw0 ... AycSa?dl=0

Thanks for your time!!!

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

masneoquil wrote: Thanks orzelek!!

I leave you here the link to the shared dropbox folder with the save and the mods I'm using.

Thanks for your time!!!
Ohhh I see what you did there now.
You broke RSO :P

Basically there is no ore that RSO can spawn since only ores that exist are infinite ones and they are not configured. And also there is an assumption that they are part of normal ones so they don't expect to be configured.
I'll protect RSO from this - you need to be aware that no ore will spawn at all. Fixed for 3.2.2.

I'd recommend simply removing RSO - you don't need it and it won't do anything here except spawning a biter base here and there.

masneoquil
Inserter
Inserter

Post by masneoquil »

orzelek wrote:
masneoquil wrote: Thanks orzelek!!

Thanks for your time!!!
Ohhh I see what you did there now.
You broke RSO :P

Basically there is no ore that RSO can spawn since only ores that exist are infinite ones and they are not configured. And also there is an assumption that they are part of normal ones so they don't expect to be configured.
I'll protect RSO from this - you need to be aware that no ore will spawn at all. Fixed for 3.2.2.

I'd recommend simply removing RSO - you don't need it and it won't do anything here except spawning a biter base here and there.

:o :o Sorry, for breaking up RSO!! ;) ;)

Thanks again for your time!!

DarkSlayerEX
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DarkSlayerEX »

I just wanted to post here something I had made for RSO's configurability.

This simple change allows anyone to configure the rate at which ore richness increases by distance. Useful for players who want to have slower increases in ore patches, or for those who want to have more ore faster.
I was hoping that this could potentially be added in natively to RSO, in order to allow for updating RSO without requiring to keep adding these back in.

settings.lua:

{
      type = "double-setting",
      name = "richness_distance_factor",
      setting_type = "runtime-global",
      default_value = 1.1,
      minimum_value = 0.01,
      maximum_value = 2,
      order = "a",
   },
control.lua ~line 25, above the first function:

local richness_distance_factor = settings.global["richness_distance_factor"].value
Locale:

[mod-setting-name]
richness_distance_factor=Distance-based richness multiplier

[mod-setting-description]
richness_distance_factor=Determines how fast the ores increase in richness as they generate further from spawn.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I'm really reluctant to add this one in.
It's difficult to explain to users what it does and it would need to be either published with very low allowed value range or people will break the game with it.

Description you proposed is example of how difficult it is to explain :)
There is no easy way to write how it affects richness vs distance I doubt that writing a math expression would work for most of people.

DarkSlayerEX
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DarkSlayerEX »

Well, since you can add linebreaks into locale descriptions using \n, I'm sure you could manage to make it detailed enough if needed, however, some people do like having the ore increase at a slower rate than 1.1, like me. I keep finding ore patches in the millions very early in, even though I have all of the richnesses set low in the map-settings, and RSO's mod settings.
(some people might even like more ore, not sure why though, it's already quite a lot)
It would be nice being able to make the change without having to unzip the mod and exit game each time to change it, and also to re-insert the data each time it updates.

You could also put in the description
"Do not change if you do not know what it does"

So, I figured this setting would still be beneficial to have.
I've been trying to make my changes work from an external mod, but I haven't been having much luck... This was the only real reason why I had brought it up to begin with...
If there was a way to get it to work externally though.. I'd love to get help figuring it out...

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

The need to extract zip and play with config won.
I've added all three exponents for distance calculations to settings.

Lets hope that there won't be to many issues with people messing with them and being surprised by results :D

DarkSlayerEX
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DarkSlayerEX »

The first time I read your reply, I had taken it as a "Nah people can keep extracting it and changing the config" but then I kept re-reading it, and considered that you agreed on that point, and added variables. Downloaded the new version, and saw the changes to accommodate this kind of thing.

I wanted to thank you so much for making this addition for us all =)

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

I just spent nearly 4 hours trying to find stone outside my starting area on my map. This map was generated in 0.15.9 I believe, I am currently running 0.15.11. I was about to give up when I found 3 stone deposits very close to each other in the northeast corner of my map. All my resources are set to very low frequency, but I find it interesting the distribution that I've uncovered thus far:

32 iron ore patches
13 copper ore patches
12 coal patches
10 uranium ore patches
13 oil clusters
3 stone patches

Is there a hidden distribution ratio between these resources?
Map view
I suppose the good news is that my time wasn't wasted... I managed to clear the majority of my map from biter nests (with expansion disabled too). I just hope I have enough stone in my starter area to make the required rail to reach this far, otherwise I'll have a lot of running (or driving) back and forth to do.

The only other mod I run is Angel's Infinite Ores, I don't know if that affects the resource distribution on the map, I assumed it only changes the way each deposit turns out and RSO decides how many deposits and where to place them.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

There is a distribution defined in config files - it's not that offset as your results.
On the other hand it's all based on rng so you might get to be more or less lucky with your resources.
Also setting everything to very low frequency doesn't change distribution for RSO. Take a look at description of mod on mod portal - I've added clarification there recently how frequency works for RSO.
It differs from vanilla a lot in this regard - frequency settings modify base relative ratios of resources. So if you'd set most of them very low but left one on normal you'd get a lot more of that one resource.

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

orzelek wrote:There is a distribution defined in config files - it's not that offset as your results.
On the other hand it's all based on rng so you might get to be more or less lucky with your resources.
Also setting everything to very low frequency doesn't change distribution for RSO. Take a look at description of mod on mod portal - I've added clarification there recently how frequency works for RSO.
It differs from vanilla a lot in this regard - frequency settings modify base relative ratios of resources. So if you'd set most of them very low but left one on normal you'd get a lot more of that one resource.
Oh ok, I didn't know that about the frequency settings. I may have possibly set uranium to low just to be sure I had enough, but I am certain all the others were very low hence why I was surprised to have 32 iron patches and only 3 stone.

It all works out in the end, I would have been upset if I had no stone at all and that was a concern before I came across it on my map. I ended up with a very long rail line which is one of the things I am glad to have as I wanted a large rail network. It also helps that I use Angel's Infinite Ores because I now know that I will never run out -- fewer patches just imposes a limit on throughput (you can fit only so many miners on each patch). Throughput is less of a concern for stone than for everything else, though the addition of electric miners to science packs now requires a steady flow of stone bricks even at the infinite science level.

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

Hi there,
Would it be possible to change the settings minimum value of "rso-global-richness-mult" to 0? I wanted to make a very hard map with angel's infinite mod and rso, but I think even with minimum value of 0.1 richness multiplier I get to high yields on resources. Especially because I want to promote using trains more...
Of course I changed the value already for myself, but maybe it might be useful for others as well :)

Cheers

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

But if you set it to 0 doesn't all ore get 0? I don't remeber exactly but you might end up which each ore field set to minimum ore amount as defined in configuration.
I can reduce it to 0.01 or something - but I think you are might be better with making research more expensive for example.

Also setting richness to very low on map settings should drop resources amount considerably.

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

well if you don't use infinite ores then you end up with nothing at all :) But I wanted to have the minimum yield for some area around the starting area and only with some distance it should start increasing the yield.
True frequency might actually help...
But even so, I would still change the setting to less than 0.1. Maybe 0.001?

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”