Ore patch size shrinks with distance

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

staviq
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Ore patch size shrinks with distance

Post by staviq »

orzelek wrote:Can you check RSO settings in game and double check they are what you think they should be?.
You may safely assume i'm always taking about default settings when describing mentioned map generation issue.

Unless there is other way to modify settings ingame, those are the settings that show up when creating a new game:

Interesting unrelated (?) observation i made while testing yesterday, if you change those settings, and do NOT start the new game, and then you restart factorio, and start a new game, but do not open the settings, they will be what you have set them before, despite not starting a new game then, and not default values, which is not exactly a bug, but an inconsistency, because map generation settings are reset to defaults, when you start a new map.

And i did reset them yesterday before testing, just to make sure they are on defaults.

staviq
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by staviq »

I have managed to reproduce the problem, on a fresh map, from the same exchange string, with only RSO enabled, and all other mods disabled.

I have taken the coordinates of a known copper ore patch from "15_7" game save, far away from the starting area.
I have started the new game, with the same exchange string, enabled god mode, and discovered iron ore patch nearby, outside the starting area, which was generated propertly.
I then saved the game, and quit factorio.
I started factorio again, and either enabled or disabled Nanobots mod, or Picker extended mod
I then loaded the test game save, and teleported to the known ore patch location ( if you want to try, "/c game.player.teleport({-1925, 3215})" ), it it was there, map generation is ok, if it was not, it is screwed.( i have verified this yesterday, this particular ore patch points 100% correct to whether map generation is ok or not. )
I then re-enabled or disabled nanobots mod and/or picker mod, and loaded the test save again, and repeated the procedure.

After about 30-50 tries ( i did not count them ) i came to a situation where rso is the only enabled mod ( except base mod of course ), and the ore patch generation is bad.

It seems, after you trigger the problem, every single newly discovered area of the map will have ore patches much smaller than normal, up until you either reload the game save, or restart factorio, but it is not alway the case ( i'm not sure if it is because the problem persists trouch game loads or factorio restarts, or simply i'm geting the same results multiple times in a row and restart and/or reloads are unrelated. )

This is how generation sould work:

This is how it looked after i managed to trigger the problem with only RSO enabled:

Last edited by staviq on Wed May 03, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

staviq
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by staviq »

I have saved the game to a separate save file, when the problem occurred with only the RSO enabled, and i'm now repeating the tests on this game save.

Enabling either Nano bots or Picker Extend now causes the exact opposite to what happened before, on a "bad" game save, enabling instead of disabling causes the problem to disappear.

Amount of my testing is too small to have any statistically certain conclusions, but:

It seems like the problem somewhat persists in the game save file.

It seems to me also, that the process of enabling/disabling other mentioned mods causes the problem to appear or disappear, rather than the mods itself, but i have no way of knowing for sure.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

staviq wrote:I have saved the game to a separate save file, when the problem occurred with only the RSO enabled, and i'm now repeating the tests on this game save.

Enabling either Nano bots or Picker Extend now causes the exact opposite to what happened before, on a "bad" game save, enabling instead of disabling causes the problem to disappear.

Amount of my testing is too small to have any statistically certain conclusions, but:

It seems like the problem somewhat persists in the game save file.

It seems to me also, that the process of enabling/disabling other mentioned mods causes the problem to appear or disappear, rather than the mods itself, but i have no way of knowing for sure.
Can you go to mod settings on the bad save and see if RSO settings aren't corrupted?
Another possibility seems to be that actual setting values I get in code are corrupted and it somehow uses small multiplier for size.

If you change in RSO config.lua debug mode to true and then after generating the ore patch use this command:

Code: Select all

/c remote.call("RSO", "saveLog")
it will create new log file in script-output directory with some details of generation process.
Please post it here (if you can both logs from good and bad gen, but only bad should be enough to see if gen settings are damaged).

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Managed to reproduce it. And as I was affraid - settings of RSO are different. Thats why ore patch dissapears - chance for spawning them has been also modified.
They look like that for me from defaults:
settings.png
settings.png (364.7 KiB) Viewed 4102 times
Thanks a lot for all the testing - I'm going to bug reports forum and write it all up for devs to look at.

staviq
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by staviq »

I loaded the bad and the good saves repeatedly, until i got 4 results:

from good save, good generation
from good save, bad generation
from bad save, good generation
from bad save, bad generation.

run savelog on all of the cases, and here are 4 log files:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xbt5j7ws1zhq ... PvQfa?dl=0

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

It confirms that resource chance is broken in bad gen for you also - it's at 0.25 while default should be 0.5.
Lets hope devs can figure out whats causing this.

staviq
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by staviq »

If you posted a bug report, could you share the link so i can track it too ?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

It's been already marked as fixed by Rsending so it should be ok in 0.15.7.

staviq
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by staviq »

Yaaay :)

Happy automating then !

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Congrats on figuring this one out! Them damn nanobots have broke enough worlds already :)

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”