[0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

Beppe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] RSO Alpha

Post by Beppe »

So no touching the:

richness_distance_factor=1.100 -- relative % per region distance
size_distance_factor=1.020 -- relative % per region distance

?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Beppe wrote:So no touching the:

richness_distance_factor=1.100 -- relative % per region distance
size_distance_factor=1.020 -- relative % per region distance

?
No need to go there - those are only distance factors so no immediate impact - only if you would go far from center.

There is a description of settings in description thread - take a look there for more instructions.

Vin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Post by Vin »

Hello,

New to the RSO mod and pretty excited about the changes to effort/reward in regards to trains compared to the base game.

I started a new game on 0.12.1 (released this morning) and the following spawn happened.

http://i.imgur.com/IfTSB27.jpg

Is this something that can/should happen in RSO? The two issues I have are that it appears copper has cannibalized some of the iron, leaving the already sparse ore with even less, and that actually mining copper and iron will be fairly annoying to get good miner placement without mixing ore.
Last edited by Vin on Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yeganer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by yeganer »

It seems like you were just extremely lucky/unlucky.

I'd suggest to just start a new map.

Darloth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darloth »

That's intentional, but rare, and should arguably be prevented in the starting area.

Is there any global setting I can tweak to make multiple ores in one field more likely?

Additionally, is there any way of specifying that a given ore should NOT be generated in the starting area please?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Preventing ore being generated on another ore is slightly tricky. And it's easy to restart to get new starting area.

There is no switch to make multiple ores per area most likely. Currently it's only tied to multi resource chance to attach resource to already placed one and to multispawn chance thats dependent on total amount of detected ores defined by the game.

As for starting area - chances are defined in config files per ore in starting section. You can completely disable starting area by setting it to none on map gen settings.

Tardan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tardan »

orzelek wrote:Adding new version that handles map generation settings.
is there a option to disable this feature? i dont't want a change in my save games but update the mod.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Tardan wrote:
orzelek wrote:Adding new version that handles map generation settings.
is there a option to disable this feature? i dont't want a change in my save games but update the mod.
Grab the new version - to make it ignore map gen settings you need to extract it and change ignoreMapGenSettings option in config.lua to true.

Tardan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tardan »

orzelek wrote: Grab the new version - to make it ignore map gen settings you need to extract it and change ignoreMapGenSettings option in config.lua to true.
Thanks a lot for the fast help !!!

sarcolopter
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sarcolopter »

I've searched through every thread in this board, and still can't figure out how to modify oil spawning.

Before the 0.12 update, I was playing vanilla, and had edited all of the resource entities (ore and oil) to be essentially infinite - average ore tile and oil patch yield would be six or seven figures.

After the 0.12 update, I re-modified the entities, and got the result for ore, but oil spawns now stay at 100 to 300% yield.

After installing the resource overhaul mod, I made the same changes to its config, and again got ores to spawn in large amounts, but no change to oil.

Does anyone know how to get the oil richness modifiers to actually have an effect, either in vanilla, or with this mod? Alternatively, is there a way to have oil deposits replenish themselves over time, or a mod that allows oil production from trees without adding or changing a bunch of other shit? (I have treefarm already). If there's a way I could mod this in myself, that would also solve the problem.

edit: Never mind. For anyone wondering, you have to leave the minimum and normal amounts alone, change only the richness base and multiplier. Only verified un-modded.
Last edited by sarcolopter on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yeganer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by yeganer »

In factorio ressource spawning there are 2 "modes".

Normal mode means you have a fixed amount of ressource, when it reaches 0, it's gone.
Infinite mode means you have the yield based thing and the more you mine it, the less yield you'll get. once it reaches 0.1 it won't drop anymore.

I don't know what behavior you are looking for. Can you explain that a little bit more in detail?

What is your goal with those settings?

sarcolopter
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sarcolopter »

yeganer wrote:In factorio ressource spawning there are 2 "modes".

Normal mode means you have a fixed amount of ressource, when it reaches 0, it's gone.
Infinite mode means you have the yield based thing and the more you mine it, the less yield you'll get. once it reaches 0.1 it won't drop anymore.

I don't know what behavior you are looking for. Can you explain that a little bit more in detail?

What is your goal with those settings?
sarcolopter wrote:Before the 0.12 update, I was playing vanilla, and had edited all of the resource entities (ore and oil) to be essentially infinite
It's irrelevant now, because I already figured out what changes I made to enable this behavior.

yeganer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by yeganer »

quoting yourself doesn't change the fact, that i don't know what "essentially infinite" means to you.
one could set the amount on each pile to be the 2^31 (32 bit integer limit) or one could set the infinite flag meaning it will behave like oil does.

so out of curiosity i'm interested what exactly do you mean by "essentially infinite" and how did you achieve that?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Setting infinite flag works as follows (oil by default):
You need to set at least minimum and normal values. Displayed percentage will be always shown as current value divided by given normal value. Minimum to which resource will deplete is defined by minimum value - in % it will be normal/minimum.

To get more % you need to increase richness of resource to get bigger value created at first.

Tristitan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tristitan »

hello, love this mod, its especially good now with being able to use the map creation to change the ores, would it be possible to add Dark Matter Replicators mod to the list of supported mods?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Was just working on it yesterday ;)
Posted new version - let me know if dark matter ore (tenemet) is not to abundant. It looks similar to copper/iron in original mod.

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

Hi guyz, I'm sorry if it's not the right place to post it, but I'm back on Factorio since 0.12 is here, so I upgraded RSO and found there is not much config to play on.
I did some tests and I can't get rid of these giants patch of oil:
Map
Bitters, ores, and richness is perfect but this oil is too crazy ! How can I change that please?
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Ohz wrote:Hi guyz, I'm sorry if it's not the right place to post it, but I'm back on Factorio since 0.12 is here, so I upgraded RSO and found there is not much config to play on.
I did some tests and I can't get rid of these giants patch of oil:
Map
Bitters, ores, and richness is perfect but this oil is too crazy ! How can I change that please?
What RSO version are you using?

It looks like it's a bit modified and it spawns oil as it would spawn standard ores. Did you grab it from the download thread?

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

I'm using the RSO 1.2.9, and at the config.lua, there is nowhere you can decide for each ores you want ratio/richness/etc like there was on 1.0.7 or something. I didn't played since few months, and I know nothing about programming, sorry to bother you with it :/ Is there a way to dive a little bit deeper into the configuration or RSO or am I missing something?

Here is an old post and picture about this old version:
old post
Anyway, I could get rid of these patch of oil, I was probably too crazy with the size_distance_factor or something (to be honest I have difficulties to tinker the whole configu.lua). I'm still trying to find a solution because it spawn big patches/donuts of 600 to 1500 ores tiles (a bit too poor), and small of 7000 ores tiles (a bit too crazy).

Orzelek, don't take all of this too personnally, I'm just a random guy :) Your job is awesome and thanks a lot for your amazing mod!
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Ahh tinkering with size.. that could do it. Might make some.. guards on this.

In general try to stay out of size mods - use richness if you want to have more ore in fields. You can put 2 for size mod easily without problems - size to distance is a factor thats used in exponents so need to be careful in there.

Problem you found is probably that size for oil (and other fluids like lava) defines number of fields to generate. If you set it up to high it might get like that - can you post your config.lua?

As for the files you are looking with ore configurations - they are still there but moved to resourceconfigs folder. Oil and basic ores are in vanilla.lua.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”