[0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Post by orzelek »

NoriSilverrage wrote:When you change the global size multi does it keep the same amount of ore per patch but just decrease the size? It seems to make the amount bigger, but just checking.
It's a bit tricky. In an attempt to balance the mod a bit (you could have 5m+ ore field next to starting area) I made ore limits for field based on richness.
Bigger resource deposits get a multiplier to make sure they are not to sparse - I didn't test it with very big fields.

When increasing size multiplier be aware that there is possibility of issues with very big fields - I did test it till field radius of about 50 (3 chunks sized).
You might consider increasing also richness multiplier when increasing size one.

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Ah I think you misunderstood. Probably because I didn't say what I am doing.
So I got sick of setting up new outposts left and right even with 2m+ patches (they just disappear so fast late game in part because of their huge size). So I was thinking about reducing the size (and frequency) of patches but increasing richness. Thus requiring more outposts, but they last a lot longer.
To this end I upped region size to 10, Richness to 8 and size to 0.4
I was mainly wondering if reducing size to 0.4 has a corresponding increase in the amount of ore, or if it simply reduces the size without affecting the amount. If that makes sense.. :?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

NoriSilverrage wrote:Ah I think you misunderstood. Probably because I didn't say what I am doing.
So I got sick of setting up new outposts left and right even with 2m+ patches (they just disappear so fast late game in part because of their huge size). So I was thinking about reducing the size (and frequency) of patches but increasing richness. Thus requiring more outposts, but they last a lot longer.
To this end I upped region size to 10, Richness to 8 and size to 0.4
I was mainly wondering if reducing size to 0.4 has a corresponding increase in the amount of ore, or if it simply reduces the size without affecting the amount. If that makes sense.. :?
Should work like expected. It will reduce ore amount a bit but should net much more with 8x multiplier anyway.

Did you try to search for bigger deposits further away?
Richness should be increasing with distance from center. By default it's about 2x 4 regions from center, 4.6 10 regions.
Might need to rebalance this a bit to have sharp increase past certain point.

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Ok cool thanks.

Yeah I did try. I moved out pretty far and they definitely got more rich, but not really enough. The miners still went through it fast and I had to micro all my outposts. Trying for a long lasting outpost going heavy on trains. :)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

You can give a try to angel's ores mod. It gives you small cores of infinite - but low yield - ores in ore patches. Like that, your outposts never get totally empty, and you don't have to unbuild them, they'll provide a small amount of ore forever.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Sadaki
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sadaki »

Hi, what would the values be if I wanted to get the enemy spawns to be as close to vanilla as possible? I like the idea of the RSO mod but prefer a bit more danger than its default settings. I'm poking through the config.lua but I don't really know what vanilla values should be to begin with. Thanks!

EDIT: Also are there any changes to crude oil? Seems like generation is extremely sparse no matter what I set on map generation.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Sadaki wrote:Hi, what would the values be if I wanted to get the enemy spawns to be as close to vanilla as possible? I like the idea of the RSO mod but prefer a bit more danger than its default settings. I'm poking through the config.lua but I don't really know what vanilla values should be to begin with. Thanks!

EDIT: Also are there any changes to crude oil? Seems like generation is extremely sparse no matter what I set on map generation.
You won't get enemies close to vanilla since there is a different generation rule in use. You could try to edit vanilla_enemies.lua in resourceconfigs and increase spawns per region to get more of them. Try also map gen settings - they can increase both size and density of enemies.

Crude oil was changed since it was a bit bugged and generated lots of wells. It should react to map gen settings - there is a risk that for example size increase is not enough for oil since it uses same one as ores and usage is different. I might need to rebalance it since it's very scarce now - not yet sure how to do it to not go overboard as before.

terror_gnom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by terror_gnom »

Hi,

I´ve got a short question: I´ve got an old Save, started without RSO, when I turn it on later, does it effect new generated areas (stuff where the map is pitch black)?
regenerating isnt an option (I testet it, the biters are everywhere, destroying outposts, trains, etc^^)

MalcolmCooks
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MalcolmCooks »

terror_gnom wrote:Hi,

I´ve got a short question: I´ve got an old Save, started without RSO, when I turn it on later, does it effect new generated areas (stuff where the map is pitch black)?
regenerating isnt an option (I testet it, the biters are everywhere, destroying outposts, trains, etc^^)
yes it does. terrain and resources are generated as they are explored

you could also look in the config file, I think there is an option to disable RSO biter spawning. Then regenerate, and it should only affect the resources. Then go back into the config file and turn RSO biter spawning back on, so it will generate nests in new areas. I'm not sure but there might be a risk that regenrating will wipe out all the existing nests, however.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

MalcolmCooks wrote:
terror_gnom wrote:Hi,

yes it does. terrain and resources are generated as they are explored

you could also look in the config file, I think there is an option to disable RSO biter spawning. Then regenerate, and it should only affect the resources. Then go back into the config file and turn RSO biter spawning back on, so it will generate nests in new areas. I'm not sure but there might be a risk that regenrating will wipe out all the existing nests, however.
Will work like you described. Sadly I can't make ore regen and biter regen separate currently since they share rng. Would need to do quite big refactor for that.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

It's been some time since I played through a full game with the current Bob's mod.
I'm playing on very hard settings with minimal resources.

One observation I have is that I think it would be nice to have a small patch of gold in the starting area with bob's. It's used for a lot of late game stuff and you are in deep trouble if you can't find any... Like I'm experiencing.
Just a small batch of like 5k would be great!

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

TheSAguy wrote:It's been some time since I played through a full game with the current Bob's mod.

One observation I have is that I think it would be nice to have a small patch of gold in the starting area with bob's. It's used for a lot of late game stuff and you are in deep trouble if you can't find any... Like I'm experiencing.
Tbh I usually also have this problem - treating it as a challange for now and wasn't adding gold to starting area. You need to find it to start making modules so a lot of things can be done before. (I also use Yuoki so I have some modules available very early)

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

orzelek wrote:
TheSAguy wrote:It's been some time since I played through a full game with the current Bob's mod.

Tbh I usually also have this problem - treating it as a challange for now and wasn't adding gold to starting area. You need to find it to start making modules so a lot of things can be done before. (I also use Yuoki so I have some modules available very early)
I was about to make this suggestion to Bob, I think he needs some earlier modules and have a small roboport before the current one. You can build bots but no port :)

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Hello,

is there a known issue with Uranium Power?

I explored a bigger part of the map around my base and i found 2 Flourite patches, tons of vanilla ores but not one Uranite patch.

Am i not patient enough or is there just nothing around?

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

steinio wrote:Hello,

is there a known issue with Uranium Power?

I explored a bigger part of the map around my base and i found 2 Flourite patches, tons of vanilla ores but not one Uranite patch.

Am i not patient enough or is there just nothing around?

Greetings steinio
If you didn't get message at game start that ore is not configured it should work. I recommend getting one of radar mods (STRS for example) to get some long range scouting. Both of uranium power ores have about 1/3rd lower chance to roll then base ores so it might take some searching.

SoulForge
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SoulForge »

Is there an issue with newer versions? I have 1.5.1 installed and it seems to work great. But newer versions cause frequent game pauses.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

SoulForge wrote:Is there an issue with newer versions? I have 1.5.1 installed and it seems to work great. But newer versions cause frequent game pauses.
I'm not aware of any changes that could cause this.
I'd need a bit more info to take a look at this. You can take a look at F5 debug screen and see which mod is using up lots of time. If it's RSO then save+mods would be good to check out whats going on.

SoulForge
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SoulForge »

orzelek wrote:
SoulForge wrote:Is there an issue with newer versions? I have 1.5.1 installed and it seems to work great. But newer versions cause frequent game pauses.
I'd need a bit more info to take a look at this. You can take a look at F5 debug screen and see which mod is using up lots of time. If it's RSO then save+mods would be good to check out whats going on.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share ... _link_copy

There are several pictures in there showing the spikes in RSO.

The higher one was me trying to change the config slightly to give richer fields. The smaller is default RSO 1.5.5. I use the max map settings as seen in the gensettings picture. And of course the mods zip is in there. If something is interfering with RSO I couldn't figure out what it was since no other mod has to do with map generation.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

SoulForge wrote:
orzelek wrote:

The higher one was me trying to change the config slightly to give richer fields. The smaller is default RSO 1.5.5. I use the max map settings as seen in the gensettings picture. And of course the mods zip is in there. If something is interfering with RSO I couldn't figure out what it was since no other mod has to do with map generation.
Have you been generating new map chunks there? It seems like you used the console command there.

SoulForge
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SoulForge »

Arch666Angel wrote:
SoulForge wrote:
orzelek wrote:

Have you been generating new map chunks there? It seems like you used the console command there.
No console command was used. Not even sure how to do that. Still somewhat 'newish' to the game. Had it for maybe two weeks?

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”