[0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

ReijMan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] RSO Alpha

Post by ReijMan »

:? Sorry to bother again, I've encountered some other problem on my quest to regenerate our map :-)

I created this world in version 0.12 with this RSO alpha added.
I try to use:

Code: Select all

remote.call("RSO", "regenerate", true) 
After I changed some settings in config.lua file so we can have some more fun with trains after a tip on reddit.

Now I encounter this error:
Could it be that I used another computer (I set the same multiplayer name though)?

EDIT: It does work when I create a new game, explore a bit, and then issue tue command. (didnt test if resources actually change as I believe I have to restart the game to reload the config.

EDIT2: It also doesnt work when I save and start the game locally. As I 'host' this game on a headless server. (maybe the fake 'server' player was the issue).

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

It was trying to display that it finished :D
Fixed it - will show it for 1st player now.

ReijMan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ReijMan »

Thanks again!

Plop and run
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Plop and run »

There are strange holes in the resource patches, v1.2.4
Attachments
holes.png
holes.png (4.58 MiB) Viewed 7123 times
Black blood of the factory

ikiris
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ikiris »

I'm getting an "enemy-base" is not a prototype-id when trying to run the regenerate to fix an issue where the map was created with RSO but it was accidentally removed between saves some time in the past before exploration happened.

yeganer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by yeganer »

The thing with the regenerate should be displayed to the local player, so , if it works, it should be

game.local_player.print("done!")
[/i]
Sorry, i'm wrong. That's not possible at the moment. No local player in mods.

@Plop and run: The holes are a new feature, you can disable it in the config.

@ikiris: which version are you running and do you have any other mods installed?

EDIT: i can confirm the bug " 'enemy-base' prototype id not found"
that is caused by the new map_gen_settings implementation. the generic 'enemy-base' autoplace is treated like an entity in the config of RSO and regenerate tries to call game.regenerate_entity("enemy-base") on it, which fails because it's not an entity.

you can fix it for now by commenting(putting '--' in front of it) the line because most people disable normal spawn anyway

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Holes can be disabled by setting use_donut_shapes to false in config file.

I'll post version that fixes the problem with prototype on regen. It's trying to regen standard layers and hitting one thats not a layer - and standard layers are already disabled permanently with RSO active.

Btw - there is an assumption that normal spawns are disabled completely with RSO. The partial option is no longer working.

Hmm whats that local_player command? Looks nice and useful for lowering amount of problems with multiplayer and feedback from mods.

redmoon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by redmoon »

When set useStraightWorldMod = true to indicate the error "Error while running the event handler: __rso-mod __ / libs / straight_world.lua: 24: LuaGameScript does not contain key gettile."

zeno15
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by zeno15 »

Is there a reason why when using this mod nothing (enemies or resources) spawns? In the map generator I have set in the size column all the entries to "None", but nothing spawns.

Any help would be appreciated.

yeganer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by yeganer »

@zeno15:
if you set everything to None, of course nothing will spawn!
At least since 1.2.4 because that's when the map_gen_settings was implemented.

@redmoon:
the file straight_world.lua wasn't modified by the rename script.
you have to change the following:

game.findentities -> surface.find_entities
game.createentity -> surface.create_entitiy
game.settiles -> surface.set_tiles
game.gettile -> surface.get_tile
l.9: local function fill(surface,x0,y0,name,amount,step,shift)
and every 
fill(...) 
should be replaced by 
fill(surface,...)

zeno15
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by zeno15 »

Oh cheers, haven't used the mod since that had been implemented I guess. Thanks!

yeganer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by yeganer »

I think it was implemented yesterday.
But the requirement to set all resources to None went away months ago.

Molay
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Molay »

Hello,

Thank you for your great mod. I've only been playing RSO worlds since I discovered this mod, it's awesome!

Would it be possible to make a file to support the mod "Homeworld" as found here? This mod requires "Sand" to operate. Or can someone tell me how to go about implementing sand myself?

Thanks,
Molay

yeganer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by yeganer »

Hey, i just quickly added a sand resource with the same world gen settings of stone.

I *think* it should work, if you are playing with an existing world, you'll have to call the rgeenerate function in the console

\c remote.call("RSO", "regenerate")
Attachments
rso-mod_1.2.6.zip
added sand resource
(27.32 KiB) Downloaded 216 times

Molay
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Molay »

Thanks!

It worked but I had to replace both instances of "sand" with "sand-resource" as it seems to be that what he calls it. I noticed that sand has no texture though, but I think this has nothing to do with RSO. Anyways, thanks, works just fine after the little adjustment!

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Posted update with integration from yeganer and update of straight world to 0.12.

Lime
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lime »

orzelek wrote:I'd recommend two things:
- infinite resources mod
- modification of size multiplier in config
Should work like what your changes did :)
Oh come ooon, do you think I have not tried it? :P
Nah, that way it's too much resources per spot. Ideal ratio turned out to be exactly 1-2 infinite patches sized 1x1, maximum 3 patches per spot at larger distances. It's too much resources otherwise.
Also, by your approach the spawn area gen is totally screwed up, so that's also not going to work.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Lime wrote:
orzelek wrote:I'd recommend two things:
- infinite resources mod
- modification of size multiplier in config
Should work like what your changes did :)
Oh come ooon, do you think I have not tried it? :P
Nah, that way it's too much resources per spot. Ideal ratio turned out to be exactly 1-2 infinite patches sized 1x1, maximum 3 patches per spot at larger distances. It's too much resources otherwise.
Also, by your approach the spawn area gen is totally screwed up, so that's also not going to work.
I tweaked it slightly so it will gen resource if size is less then 2 as 2 instead of dropping it completely.
With config and map gen settings you should be able to get it now.

From my experience - when playing with Shadows mod pack I used standard sized infinite copper ore patch with Mk 2 drills (Mk3 are pollution magnets) and when it went down to 20% it was not that much throughput. A lot depends on what minimum you set for resource nodes in infinite setup.
With 1x1 infinite patch and minimum of 20% game will be literally unplayable. You'd need to wait ages to actually get anything done before you can expand. And get a peace mod.

I prefer my pain in form of science costs mod and making sure I can actually pay for my science :D

Beppe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Beppe »

Can someone help with out with the config, its alot of variables and I'm afraid I will make it too easy or hard without knowing it and only notice it several hours in.

I don't like placing new miner too often so I was hoping for the resources in each patch to last a while
I don't mind the challenge of many enemies and resources far apart, I just want it to be managable so I don't have to restart after 10 hours of gameplay.

The problem I have is the multiplier factors, its very hard to know how much impact they will have after a while. I'm a programmer myself so the lua is not the problem, I just don't want to reinvent the wheel if some of you guys have played around with this mod before

Appericiate any help you could give me!

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I'd recommend setting resource richness to very good in the map gen settings and try like that. RSO for 0.12 reads those and multiplies values from config - might need some balance tweaks but should work.

From config options easiest way to get more ore is patches is to change global_richness_mult - it's a direct multiplier to resource richness in nodes. It will multiply with richness settings from map gen settings also.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”