[0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Post by orzelek »

Targa wrote:In the config file there's a section for biter spawning (disable_RSO_biter_spawning ). I'm curious what RSO is doing with biters that is different than the vanilla game? I know you can adjust the biter to spitter ratio, but other than that, is there something different than vanilla?
It actually spawns the bases. Setting is affecting bases not actual biters.
Biter spawn rules stay the same as vanilla.

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

Hey, is there an easy way to magnify all pollution produced (while proportionally reducing the effect it has on evolution level) so the red cloud reaches more nests and agitates more biters? Partially because there's less nests in the same area with RSO so it becomes too easy to clear out everything inside your pollution radius, instead of having to worry about defenses... and partially because I'm still trying out changing chunk size to spread things out.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Align wrote:Hey, is there an easy way to magnify all pollution produced (while proportionally reducing the effect it has on evolution level) so the red cloud reaches more nests and agitates more biters? Partially because there's less nests in the same area with RSO so it becomes too easy to clear out everything inside your pollution radius, instead of having to worry about defenses... and partially because I'm still trying out changing chunk size to spread things out.
Only way I know would be to loop through all entities and try to increase their emissions factor. If you want more bases then increase the size/frequency and you'll see more agitated biters coming to greet you. Not sure about balancing on those settings - I usually use Natural Evolution so it's a bit different.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

There are settings in the base game for that, you could try and play around with them, you can find them in factorio/data/base/prototypes/map-settings.lua. The first three paragraph deal with pollution and biters.

Code: Select all

pollution=
    {
      enabled=true,
      -- these are values for 60 ticks (1 simulated second)
      --
      -- amount that is diffused to neighboring chunk
      -- (possibly repeated for other directions as well)
      diffusion_ratio=0.02,
      -- this much PUs must be on the chunk to start diffusing
      min_to_diffuse=15,
      -- constant modifier a percentage of 1 - the pollution eaten by a chunks tiles
      ageing=1,
      -- anything bigger than this is visualised as this value
      expected_max_per_chunk=7000,
      -- anything lower than this (but > 0) is visualised as this value
      min_to_show_per_chunk=700,
      min_pollution_to_damage_trees = 3500,
      pollution_with_max_forest_damage = 10000,
      pollution_per_tree_damage = 2000,
      pollution_restored_per_tree_damage = 500,
      max_pollution_to_restore_trees = 1000
    },

enemy_evolution=
    {
      enabled=true,
      -- percentual increase in the evolve factor for every second (60 ticks)
      time_factor = 0.000004,
      -- percentual increase in the evolve factor for every destroyed spawner
      destroy_factor = 0.002,
      -- percentual increase in the evolve factor for 1000 PU
      pollution_factor = 0.000015
    },

enemy_expansion=
    {
      enabled = true,
      -- Distance in chunks from the nearest base when expanding
      min_base_spacing = 3,
      -- Distance in chunks from the furthest base around.
      -- This prevents expansions from reaching too far into the
      -- player's territory
      max_expansion_distance = 7,

-- Minimal distance of expansion point in chunks from player base
      min_player_base_distance = 3,

-- Size of the group that goes to build new base (in game this is multiplied by the
      -- evolution factor).
      settler_group_min_size = 5,
      settler_group_max_size = 20,

-- Ticks to expand to a single
      -- position for a base is used.
      --
      -- cooldown is calculated as linear interpolation between min and max
      min_expansion_cooldown = 5 * 3600,
      max_expansion_cooldown = 60 * 3600
    },

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

I'm new to this game and therefore to the mod.

I'd like to suggest an enhancement (it may already be there but I haven't searched well to find it).

It would be useful if we could set a 'seed' for the resource distribution so that everybody who uses the map exchange string and the 'seed' gets exactly the same starting map.

I got this idea after watching 'Island Retreat' VLog on YouTube. I really wanted to play that map and its wacky resource distribution, but all I can generate is the same map, not the resources.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

DRY411S wrote:I'm new to this game and therefore to the mod.

I'd like to suggest an enhancement (it may already be there but I haven't searched well to find it).

It would be useful if we could set a 'seed' for the resource distribution so that everybody who uses the map exchange string and the 'seed' gets exactly the same starting map.

I got this idea after watching 'Island Retreat' VLog on YouTube. I really wanted to play that map and its wacky resource distribution, but all I can generate is the same map, not the resources.
Currently seed is created by the mod from tiles in starting location. It also depends on mod version - you can count that if minor version number changed (middle one) resource generation was affected and it will look differently.
In one of future versions I will switch to simply use map seed for resource seed.

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

Will that make it impossible to regenerate resources in a different configuration?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Align wrote:Will that make it impossible to regenerate resources in a different configuration?
It still will be. Calling regenerate with true always generates new seed.
It's about the base seed that is used from start by default.

TN_Creator
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TN_Creator »

Hi,

I just started a new game with RSO in peaceful mode, with default settings. I don't see any alien nest close to the starting location, are they disabled by default? or simply further away?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

TN_Creator wrote:Hi,

I just started a new game with RSO in peaceful mode, with default settings. I don't see any alien nest close to the starting location, are they disabled by default? or simply further away?
What do you mean by peaceful mode?
By default enemy bases are a bit further out in RSO then normally.

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

About how far do you need to travel to get double ore density? I'm running out left and right and would like to find patches that last longer.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

NoriSilverrage wrote:About how far do you need to travel to get double ore density? I'm running out left and right and would like to find patches that last longer.
Formula is distance^factor where distance is in regions. With default values it would reach two in 3rd region - thats about 700 tiles from center.
There is also certain amount of random variation used when rolling ore patch so it might vary.

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

orzelek wrote:
NoriSilverrage wrote:About how far do you need to travel to get double ore density? I'm running out left and right and would like to find patches that last longer.
Formula is distance^factor where distance is in regions. With default values it would reach two in 3rd region - thats about 700 tiles from center.
There is also certain amount of random variation used when rolling ore patch so it might vary.
Hmm, thanks. Is there a way to easily measure tiles long distance?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

NoriSilverrage wrote:
orzelek wrote:
Hmm, thanks. Is there a way to easily measure tiles long distance?
You can get cursor coordinates by enabling debug overlay - F5 by default shows them.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

there's also a mod that just displays them onscreen if you don't want to have debug info on.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

TN_Creator
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TN_Creator »

orzelek wrote:
TN_Creator wrote:Hi,

What do you mean by peaceful mode?
By default enemy bases are a bit further out in RSO then normally.
peaceful mode is the vanilla option that make the aliens passive.

thanks, I found them, they are farther indeed :D

Marchombre
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marchombre »

Sorry if i'm not asking at the right place but i wanted to know something.

I'm using Train Outpost mod cause i wanted the long distance ore outpost and the changes in the rail crafting, but the % thingie with resources are bothering me. I would prefer the ore to disappear once emptied rather than just giving an ore once in few minutes. Would RSO (or RSO Infinite Edition) work along train outpost ? or alone maybe ?
Or any other mod/combinaison of mods would do the trick ?

Thanks in advance~

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Marchombre wrote:Sorry if i'm not asking at the right place but i wanted to know something.

I'm using Train Outpost mod cause i wanted the long distance ore outpost and the changes in the rail crafting, but the % thingie with resources are bothering me. I would prefer the ore to disappear once emptied rather than just giving an ore once in few minutes. Would RSO (or RSO Infinite Edition) work along train outpost ? or alone maybe ?
Or any other mod/combinaison of mods would do the trick ?

Thanks in advance~
I'm not sure what would be effect of combining RSO with Train Outposts. Might have both mods ores or some.. hybrid thing will happen.
You can ask Train Outposts author to add option to not make ores infinite or extract rail costs change out of the mod.
I could also add option to make rails cheaper to RSO - would be disabled by default most likely.

Marchombre
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marchombre »

Thanks. Gonna ask him then.

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

When you change the global size multi does it keep the same amount of ore per patch but just decrease the size? It seems to make the amount bigger, but just checking.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”