[0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Post by Blu3wolf »

I guess yeganers version didnt get finished?

For present reference, then; is there a wiki or other reference on how to write a config for RSO to use for a mod? I assume RSO is made soft dependent on the mods it supports - if that is the case, are the mods responsible for defining resources they add still? or is that handled by RSO?

Basically Id like to know what I need to do to add support for my as yet VERY unfinished (perhaps even barely started) mod to RSO, when it gets that far. I dont want to end up having to redo lots of work (... again, as Ive done that a few times already with this XD ...).

Cheers!

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Just take a look in the RSO mod itself, there is a folder called resourceconfigs where you can find the mod specific configs, e.g. for bobs mods. RSO uses these configs to handle the generation. What you mod needs to do is to define the resource entities which are used.
I have a project that revolves around redoing the resource gathering with bobmods in special, but could also easily extended to include other mods as well. If you are interested we could work together there, just PM me then.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Currently adding a mod support to RSO requires adding new config file and enabling it by detecting the mod in some way (by variables or entity).

As far as configs go - vanilla set has comments that describe how various parameters work. Can also ask here if you ahve any more questions.
Whole process of generating ores is a bit complex and I don't think that exact explanation of it is written up somewhere.

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

Is there some way to tweak biter spawning so there's more closer to you, but without making them so frequent further out that you can't scout with your car? I'd like walls and turrets to be more necessary...
Smaller starting area kinda helps, but that also means resource patches spawn much closer.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Align wrote:Is there some way to tweak biter spawning so there's more closer to you, but without making them so frequent further out that you can't scout with your car? I'd like walls and turrets to be more necessary...
Smaller starting area kinda helps, but that also means resource patches spawn much closer.
No way to do that currently I think. Starting area definition is the same for all generated things.
RSO is not making enemy bases more frequent further out from what I know. You should be able to scout quite far with a car. Do you have any other mods that could affect enemy spawns?

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

Scouting with a car works fine, it's just that if I were to bump up biter frequency and such settings high enough that defence would be more like a vanilla game it'd also make scouting as hard as in vanilla, so it's either the one problem or the other.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

So is there a way to make oil more like RSO 1.0.3. Seems most people stay away from the new RSO because of how silly and tbh a joke when it comes to oil spawning :P

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Kane wrote:So is there a way to make oil more like RSO 1.0.3. Seems most people stay away from the new RSO because of how silly and tbh a joke when it comes to oil spawning :P
Whats wrong with the crude oil?
You are writing like it's obvious so please try to describe it a bit more then silly or joke. I have no idea how RSO 1.0.3 spawned it and not much of an idea how vanilla spawns it.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

orzelek wrote:
Kane wrote:So is there a way to make oil more like RSO 1.0.3. Seems most people stay away from the new RSO because of how silly and tbh a joke when it comes to oil spawning :P
Whats wrong with the crude oil?
You are writing like it's obvious so please try to describe it a bit more then silly or joke. I have no idea how RSO 1.0.3 spawned it and not much of an idea how vanilla spawns it.
You should consider checking it out it's why everyone on Twitch uses the old RSO
https://www.dropbox.com/home/Factorio-m ... _1.0.3.zip

I assume you would know the inside and out of it since your mod is named after it lol.

I'm also not criticizing your work as a joke btw I mean that a lot of people on twitch consider the oil spawns a joke they find them too dense and too many of them. When I mean dense like having 10-30 spawns in one spot. I think most them like have maybe 3-7 or so.

But here is a picture example:

Now I think old RSO might be a tad annoying having so many single oil wells. But I think most would be happy if oil scaled between say 3-7 or so but not higher. Maybe more oil in the well for a while maybe if your 2k+ you get maybe 2-3 more. But with yours it's quite a diff story.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Here is an example of your version it has more they are closer this is a zoomed in only corner of the same seed.

So if they were spread out more and less abundant. You should see what it's like 5000+ out.

Here is an example 10k out just one but if I were to render them they be near in distance but all like this it's a bit over the top. Also not sure if it's a bug of feature but biter nests further out seem to all spawn in squares :)

Last edited by Kane on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

To be honest: You can get similar results with the current version, but you have to play around a lot with the config files and setting, that's the main reason a lot of streamer play with the old version, they don't have to try and test around with the settings. But in one point you are right, if you leave RSO as it comes out of the box, it will spawn A LOT of oil patches in a single chunk, but just changing the size in the map gen setting to low solves some of that problem.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Arch666Angel wrote:To be honest: You can get similar results with the current version, but you have to play around a lot with the config files and setting, that's the main reason a lot of streamer play with the old version, they don't have to try and test around with the settings. But in one point you are right, if you leave RSO as it comes out of the box, it will spawn A LOT of oil patches in a single chunk, but just changing the size in the map gen setting to low solves some of that problem.
Playing with it right now. Is richness actually the amount of separate oils spawned in the patch?

Edit: I did low on all the Oil settings. They yield around 200-250 each one no big deal and the patches were smaller but not that small. oddly enough no oil to start with in the base as well.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

So this is a test generation with 1.4.8 with everything to medium, did change things in the config but that shouldnt affect oil.
http://i.imgur.com/CfhuHdK.jpg
Last edited by Arch666Angel on Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

This is a test generation with just one line changed in the actual resource configs. See the difference? Went from 6-8 oil wells per patch to 2-4 wells per patch.
http://i.imgur.com/4HlJA8g.jpg

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Thanks Kane for the examples - I do have an idea whats going on.
It's a consequence of ore patches getting richer the further out you go. It worked a bit differently on oil spawns - they get more wells instead of bigger wells.
I'll run some debug runs far out and see whats exactly going on.

I'm guessing that keeping up to 5-7 of them would work better and then bump up the actual oil amount in one?

As for why enemy bases get more square far out - I have no idea.

PS.
Kinda strange tbh - people will use old one but no-one bothers to come here and say why :)

Edit:
Dropbox won't let me to download RSO 1.0.3 with that link - it asks for login without usual button to skip it.
The oil issue is balancer being to.. good at it's job. Main question is - how rich should be the oil wells far out?

TimmPure
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TimmPure »

The main reason I switched to 1.0.3. is because I felt the newer versions never got the oil balance quite right. It was usually too much oil for me.

mbritb
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mbritb »

Here is the reason why Colonelwill, DeamonEngineer, d3phoenix, Xeteth, HS_Gaming_Group, Wormmus, MachtigeMik3, TimmPure, pigella, DutchJer, rootnegative, myself, and many others use RSO Verion 1.0.3

"Version 1.0.3 was the last version by the original author and is considered a good balance between ore distance and amount. Big spaces between resources to force trains but massive spots when you get there, softened early bad guys accelerating to horrific bastards later, and very hard to come by oil! Later versions are more suited for modpacked versions like Bob’s Mods and Dytech." --BuggaEngineer (Buggaton & DeamonEngineer)

And if you are having trouble with downloading RSO 1.0.3 - Here's a fresh (working) link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0huhsy6icexcs ... 3.zip?dl=0

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

mbritb wrote:Here is the reason why Colonelwill, DeamonEngineer, d3phoenix, Xeteth, HS_Gaming_Group, Wormmus, MachtigeMik3, TimmPure, pigella, DutchJer, rootnegative, myself, and many others use RSO Verion 1.0.3

"Version 1.0.3 was the last version by the original author and is considered a good balance between ore distance and amount. Big spaces between resources to force trains but massive spots when you get there, softened early bad guys accelerating to horrific bastards later, and very hard to come by oil! Later versions are more suited for modpacked versions like Bob’s Mods and Dytech." --BuggaEngineer (Buggaton & DeamonEngineer)

And if you are having trouble with downloading RSO 1.0.3 - Here's a fresh (working) link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0huhsy6icexcs ... 3.zip?dl=0
And it's the one description that says a lot and nothing really. If the balance works for you then keep using it :)

Oil thing I'll try to fix soon and post new version since that one is a bug.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Perhaps have a constant interval for the number of oil wells per patch, which can be set in config and only have richness increase without spawning new wells.

The test gens above I did by lowering the min/max setting for wells per spawn in the vanillaconfig, because I guessed they were multiplied by some factor in RSO.

fasz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by fasz »

Can anyone help me with some commands?
We have a problem: we added a new mod that adds a new resource to the game. The problem is, I think we would have to discover new areas to force the game to generate anything from the new resource. But the problem we try to solve by the new resource is that we can't deal with the aliens (or natives, really).
I tried calling regenerate, with both true and false, but one of the problems is that it spawns aliens too, in the base, and that's a problem. But the main problem is that it rearranges all the resources. Even if I call it with false, which should keep the old seed, for some reason it rearranges all the fields.

I browse the code of the mod, and I don't see why it behaves the way it does with false, it should keep the old seed.

Is there any way to just generate one resource? Or I will have to hack into it?

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”