[0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Post by orzelek »

MalcolmCooks wrote:Looking at the version history this is a bug that was already fixed in 1.3.4, nevermind
Should be fixed - updating mod is not retroactive tho so any of them generated like that will remain.
You can try to regen to fix them but this will also respawn other resources.

MalcolmCooks
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MalcolmCooks »

I regenerated resources and the oil patches are fixed. Some nice patches of other resources I scouted out changed size/moved around but not a big issue since I hadn't started to mine them yet. Alternatively... I could go around deleting all the bugged oil patches so I'm not tempted to use them :lol:

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

MalcolmCooks wrote:I regenerated resources and the oil patches are fixed. Some nice patches of other resources I scouted out changed size/moved around but not a big issue since I hadn't started to mine them yet. Alternatively... I could go around deleting all the bugged oil patches so I'm not tempted to use them :lol:
Hmm did you change any mods around?
If you use regen without true parameter nothing should be moved.

MalcolmCooks
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MalcolmCooks »

the version I updated from was 1.2.7, there are some differences in the config file so I couldn't copy the settings exactly. But the biter bases are all in the same place so it worked properly. the patches are still in the same place, and the same richness, just slight differences in the shape and size, the only ones that dissappeared were secondary patches in multi resource patches

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

MalcolmCooks wrote:the version I updated from was 1.2.7, there are some differences in the config file so I couldn't copy the settings exactly. But the biter bases are all in the same place so it worked properly. the patches are still in the same place, and the same richness, just slight differences in the shape and size, the only ones that dissappeared were secondary patches in multi resource patches
Thanks for info. Regen is not guaranteed between versions - especially with some fixes that were made for resource gen between those.
I was slightly worried I broke something and it didn't work in same version.

JackGruff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JackGruff »

Starting area not suppose to affect anything?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

JackGruff wrote:Starting area not suppose to affect anything?
It should affect how far first resources and enemy bases spawn. Inside it there are only starting resources.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

New version is up.
It fixes the issues with latest bobores and resource spawning.
I've also added collision avoidance for resource spawns - be aware that it might need a bit more testing.

I did quick test also on 512 ribbon map and I didn't see any significant issues or to many resources lost outside of regions.

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

What's collision avoidance mean here?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Align wrote:What's collision avoidance mean here?
That resource patch will try not to spawn if it would cover big part of water or different resource patch.
It will make an attempt to move the whole patch about a chunk in some direction and place it there.

GrimerX
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GrimerX »

Is there a way to change enemy spawn settings [and then regen?].

Basically, I'm many hours in and like the map and resource layout, but find the enemy density is too low and want to bump it up a bit. It seems for vanilla you can't change worldgen settings via the console (or I can't find it at any rate) - is this achievable with RSO? I'm fine if it regens existing chunks. I'd prefer that actually. Ideally it wouldn't change the resource layout but I could live with it if it did - just need to move a bunch of stuff around.

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SirRichie »

If I understood your need and the way RSO works correctly, I think you could try to
- change the config.lua to increase enemy spawn chance
- then run remote.call("rso", "regenerate", false) from the console

yeganer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by yeganer »

If you only care for enemy bases just let the game run fit a while and let the bitters expand.

If you want to use RSO then you could change the code so it will regenerate bitters and only generate bitters in newly generated chunks.

It all depends on what you want.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

SirRichie's way will work but resources won't be the same.
Any change to probabilities invalidates deterministic behavior of generation - you'll get resources in completely new layout.

yeganer's way would require some actual coding to be done to allow only biter regeneration - and then it would also break determinism of ores but it might not be problematic then.

yeganer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by yeganer »

it wouldn't break determinism if he was playing without RSO before. He could disable the part of the mod that is responsible for resource generation and only use the biter base generation part.

But for the biter base spawning one could write a simple mod. I think one file with ~30 lines would be enough. If one wants determinism then one would ne a PRNG lib and some small changes but the combination of create_entity and build_enemy_base makes it relatively easy to spawn naturally looking biter bases. with the number of biters one can control the size, kind of.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

yeganer wrote:it wouldn't break determinism if he was playing without RSO before. He could disable the part of the mod that is responsible for resource generation and only use the biter base generation part.

But for the biter base spawning one could write a simple mod. I think one file with ~30 lines would be enough. If one wants determinism then one would ne a PRNG lib and some small changes but the combination of create_entity and build_enemy_base makes it relatively easy to spawn naturally looking biter bases. with the number of biters one can control the size, kind of.
By breaking determinism I meant the regen command. It will work as long as no regen is called - sorry was to ambiguous there.

GrimerX
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GrimerX »

Thanks everyone. I was ambiguous about my use of RSO - I used it to generate the map. I didn't realize generation could be deterministic and it turned out to be straightforward, in quick testing at least. Will play with it more tonight.

Also thanks for the in-retrospect obvious suggestion to just edit the mod directly. In my day job everything is compiled binaries, not so much LUA :-) I think I can have some fun with this. :)

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

I sort of like the 1.0.3 generation not so much biters but wondering if anyone has gotten similar density / distance in rso 1.41 as of rso 1.0.3

And maybe reasons why one should or should not use the two versions.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Kane wrote:I sort of like the 1.0.3 generation not so much biters but wondering if anyone has gotten similar density / distance in rso 1.41 as of rso 1.0.3

And maybe reasons why one should or should not use the two versions.
I'd be more interested what you like from the 1.0.3 generation that it's not in latest one. Most of the features that were there are still in in more balanced way - unless you really like those 5+ mil fields that could be generated.

scarhoof
Inserter
Inserter

Post by scarhoof »

I've wondered this myself. I keep hearing the older version is better. I'm curious what about the older versions were better?

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”