Bug reports

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

razorts
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Bug reports

Post by razorts »

That did help,thanx. Game no longer crashes, but i still get "something something creatine" error message when killing bitters/spawners.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

razorts wrote:That did help,thanx. Game no longer crashes, but i still get "something something creatine" error message when killing bitters/spawners.
You'll be getting it for some time until all the deposits of it that were meant to be spawned are skipped.
It's only a warning and won't cause any problems.

Nilixen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nilixen »

So this just happened to a copper ore patch.
http://i.imgur.com/N2zG1d9.jpg
The copper is over 650.000 in one block. I don't think this is supposed to happen.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Nilixen wrote:So this just happened to a copper ore patch.
The copper is over 650.000 in one block. I don't think this is supposed to happen.
Sadly in this circumstances it is. I can clip it at some value but for now it choses the solution that won't take a lot of ore away. It's caused by the fact that there is a lot of water so whole ore for this patch got spawned on this one single tile that isn't water.

Alternatives are to spawn tile with some ore cap (you'd lose a lot of ore in case like this) or simply skip the resource field completely - you'd lose all the ore. It could try to re-roll the field somewhere else - if people find deposits like that very annoying I can try to do something like that.

Nilixen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nilixen »

Yes, perhaps it's best to stop ore patches spawning which are small in size (squares). It's usually not worth the effort to only install a few miners and do all the logistics (I just look for other big patches).

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Nilixen wrote:Yes, perhaps it's best to stop ore patches spawning which are small in size (squares). It's usually not worth the effort to only install a few miners and do all the logistics (I just look for other big patches).
It depends on how you are playing. For vanilla might be not worth it.
If you have mods then even 1 tile can be mined quite effectively with high mark mining drills. It's a very borderline case for sure.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

The homeworld sand cannot be spawned despite the existence of the config for it in 1.3.4.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Adil wrote:The homeworld sand cannot be spawned despite the existence of the config for it in 1.3.4.
I don't see anything in the code that would prevent it from working.
Can you enable debug mode in config (at the beginning) and see if it lists it when you start new game?

If it shows up there it should be spawned - unless name of it has been changed then it's not detected properly and you would be getting a warning when game starts.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

No, that's exactly what I'm talking about: it shows the warning that resource is not configured.
The resource seems to be named "sand-source" now, but simple change of its name in config doesn't solve the problem.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Adil wrote:No, that's exactly what I'm talking about: it shows the warning that resource is not configured.
The resource seems to be named "sand-source" now, but simple change of its name in config doesn't solve the problem.
The name appears in two places - one is config for homeworld other one is in mainconfigs file. Find the sand there and change it also to make resource detection work properly.

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

orzelek wrote:
Sadly in this circumstances it is. I can clip it at some value but for now it choses the solution that won't take a lot of ore away. It's caused by the fact that there is a lot of water so whole ore for this patch got spawned on this one single tile that isn't water.

Alternatives are to spawn tile with some ore cap (you'd lose a lot of ore in case like this) or simply skip the resource field completely - you'd lose all the ore. It could try to re-roll the field somewhere else - if people find deposits like that very annoying I can try to do something like that.
Just wanted to report this bug but I see you are aware of it already. There are few easy fixes for these:
- make resource path overwrite water tiles or make resource spawn further away from the shore if its centre is in water tile,
- make other ores not spawn on top of each other but rather regenerate the second ore in full size around the first ore creating eclipse like ore deposits with no ore deficiencies
all this is extra important in starting area with maxed biters since advancements into new resource patches if kind of difficult.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

irbork wrote:
orzelek wrote:

Just wanted to report this bug but I see you are aware of it already. There are few easy fixes for these:
- make resource path overwrite water tiles or make resource spawn further away from the shore if its centre is in water tile,
- make other ores not spawn on top of each other but rather regenerate the second ore in full size around the first ore creating eclipse like ore deposits with no ore deficiencies
all this is extra important in starting area with maxed biters since advancements into new resource patches if kind of difficult.
Both of those easy fixes.. are not easy in practice. Each of them has some consequences (like water removal) and would require some additional changes to generation of ores.

I'm still not convinced that it's a bug - simplest solution is to simply forego resource spawn if it turns out to be to small. It's a choice - do you prefer to actually get the ore just as few tiles or not get it at all.

KeepOnBuilding
Inserter
Inserter

Post by KeepOnBuilding »

I would call this a bug for sure.

I think the best option is to cap the amount of resources in each block at some sensible value. And lose the resources.

So where config file has:
min_amount=350,

add
max_amount=70000,

Or something similar.

Great mod, thank you! I'm really enjoying being forced to use trains again. It's nearly as much fun as my Marathon ribbon world :)

KeepOnBuilding!

Edit to add:

I see in the code:
-- elseif forceFactor > 25000 then -- limit size of one resource pile
-- forceFactor = rgen:random(20000, 25000)
-- end

Which seems as if it might have been intended to address this issue.

But adding it to the per-resource configs would be cool.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I'm thinking about more global solution - will have some time next week to try and implement it.

Main idea is that if resource spawn fails/generates dense field/hits other ore field it would be regenerated in nearby location again. There might be some tricks with how to do it so I need to look into way to do it properly. Change like this is guaranteed to break the resource regen on existing maps. It should not break the determinism (I hope).

Nilixen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nilixen »

When an ore patch fails to generate/generates dense field/hits other ore field, is it even necessary to be regenerated close by? Isn't it just easier to just not let it spawn instead? This is RSO after all; I don't think one less ore patch every once in a while will be to troublesome for players.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Nilixen wrote:When an ore patch fails to generate/generates dense field/hits other ore field, is it even necessary to be regenerated close by? Isn't it just easier to just not let it spawn instead? This is RSO after all; I don't think one less ore patch every once in a while will be to troublesome for players.
It's a way yes. It's a bit dangerous way in terms of making what I'm calling rng bad side more pronounced. By simply discarding ores you are risking that less ore will be generated - it might be significant :D
You wouldn't be happy if your starting iron was discarded because it happened to overlap mostly with your starting copper.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

orzelek wrote:[...]You wouldn't be happy if your starting iron was discarded because it happened to overlap mostly with your starting copper.
That sometimes happens anyway (or near enough as makes no difference). When it does, if I can't make it work, I just hit the Restart button in the Esc menu.

tux_mark_5
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tux_mark_5 »

When using Bob's mods & RSO, RSO causes Nickel ore, Sulfur patches and Cobalt ore to spawn on the map. Even when these 3 ores are added to ignoreConfig, they spawn on the map anyway.
These 3 ores have been disabled in Bob's mods by default for quite a while and shouldn't spawn when used in conjunction with RSO.

Also, when creating a custom map with Bob's mods and RSO with the map editor, no ores spawn. The same happens when starting a regular game, converting it to a scenario and opening it in map editor.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

tux_mark_5 wrote:When using Bob's mods & RSO, RSO causes Nickel ore, Sulfur patches and Cobalt ore to spawn on the map. Even when these 3 ores are added to ignoreConfig, they spawn on the map anyway.
These 3 ores have been disabled in Bob's mods by default for quite a while and shouldn't spawn when used in conjunction with RSO.

Also, when creating a custom map with Bob's mods and RSO with the map editor, no ores spawn. The same happens when starting a regular game, converting it to a scenario and opening it in map editor.
Two separate points:
1. New way of bob's ores ore handling means that RSO thinks all of them exist. I might be able to fix it easily but haven't looked at this yet.
2. RSO will not work in map editor or scenario as far as I know. It requires actual game to run since it works in contol.lua part and I think it's only present in normal game.

Berserker55
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Berserker55 »

Got a crash on line 571 control.lua in 1.4.0. Something about luatile invalid. I wrote up a proper bug report with screenshot and savegame and stuff, then on posting the forum gave me a 500 internal error and now can't be bothered to redo all that.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”