Resource Spawner Overhaul - Old discussion thread

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Resource Spawner Overhaul - Discussion thread

Post by Takezu »

Hope he dosen't had planned to play that with Dytech or bob ores or something like that.
If i think about my average ore distirbution, at least one or to will be far far away ...
For most times i found at least one not nearer as 2000 tiles ... with the additional starting emptyness ... well happy hunting ;)
Should be thinking about a mod that raises trainspeed, they will also take their time :roll:

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Not sure which but bob's set has faster trains I think. As for rng... I have currently at least few k tiles to nearest rutile. Rng did a number on me.. first gold then this.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Logistics has the MK2 and MK3 Disel, MK2 needs Nickel and Zinc due to brass gears and invar, MK needs Titanium iirc. Which wouldn't be of much help regarding your rutile.
Well i think i've scoutet somewhat around 2500 tiles north east and south (west is a Huge and i mean really Huge lake), i'm aiting on my first sings of silver this time ... and nickel is besids the starting nickel only a patch fitting 4 mines ><. Long live the RNG :roll:

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Having dytech radars helps a lot - they are a bit power hogs but they scan faster and significantly further.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

If you're stuck and don't want to run around to find the ore patches, use
/c game.forces.player.chart({lefttop = {x = -1024, y = -1024}, rightbottom = {x = 1024, y = 1024}})

It reveals the map once like the radar does progressively, but doesn't keep it revealed like localised radar area.

And Takezu, I'm unfortunately playing with bob's ores. :)

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SirRichie »

PiggyWhiskey wrote:If you're stuck and don't want to run around to find the ore patches, use
/c game.forces.player.chart({lefttop = {x = -1024, y = -1024}, rightbottom = {x = 1024, y = 1024}})

It reveals the map once like the radar does progressively, but doesn't keep it revealed like localised radar area.
It takes a rather long time (several minutes) to generate all the tiles though. In addition, you will only see the ores for about half the distance (~512 in each direction) on the map. All other ores are there, but will only show up on the map once you have wandered into their vincinity.

Apart from that I think that good game(mod) design should not rely onl console commands...

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

SirRichie wrote:
PiggyWhiskey wrote:If you're stuck and don't want to run around to find the ore patches, use

It takes a rather long time (several minutes) to generate all the tiles though. In addition, you will only see the ores for about half the distance (~512 in each direction) on the map. All other ores are there, but will only show up on the map once you have wandered into their vincinity.

Apart from that I think that good game(mod) design should not rely onl console commands...

The speed depends on your computer. It takes mine 1-2 minutes. But you're right that its not fast. But it is faster than travelling manually.
Also, as it it loading the chunk/generating the terrain, its exactly as if the player walked each and every step. I can confirm (with screenshots if needed) that it displays all available ores/bases/forests throughout the entire area.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Well it's not ecxatly like that. True it generates the chunks, but it was mentioned earlier in this thread, the generatet ores, especially at the border on the generatet section aren't shown as what they really are until you examine them.

Usually that means the field gets a bit bigger than whats on the map, but i've also seen secodary ores show up and in atleast one case shrinking.
The generation is not complete untill you move to the field.

Marasambala
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marasambala »

I'm sure I've overlooked something obvious...where do I find the latest version?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Marasambala wrote:I'm sure I've overlooked something obvious...where do I find the latest version?
In the releases and changelog announcement.

Marasambala
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marasambala »

Thanks, I haven't played in awhile and I've always used a bookmarked link so never saw the announcement.

Yolan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Yolan »

Anybody else finding this is giving you too many resources???

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

It's a bit to generous atm.
That will be fixed with next version - it's planned after 0.12 release.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Subjectiv. I'm pretty good in running out of Iron and Copper continual.
Extra ores from other mods are another thing. They aren'T of continuose use as copper and iron generally.
So you tend to have "more" from them. But for an average use of 2,5K to 3K Iron and Copper per minute,
you have some hours fun with a mine but more or less seeking the next while setting up the first is a good idea.
And to that end, i could use more per min, if my laptop could handel it ;)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Yolan wrote:Anybody else finding this is giving you too many resources???
Actually - could you elaborate a bit?

You mean that resources last to long and/or to big. Or maybe to dense ?
A lot of things can be configured in config file.

Yolan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Yolan »

For some reason I was getting large clumps of highly dense resources, with 3-4k per square! I went into the config file and turned the numbers down though, which seemed to fix the issue.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Yolan wrote:For some reason I was getting large clumps of highly dense resources, with 3-4k per square! I went into the config file and turned the numbers down though, which seemed to fix the issue.
It's because it's trying to put certain amount of resources into whole field. And it might be a bit to much of ore atm - I'll cut it down by half for 0.12 release I think.
Small but dense resources do provide different challenge for mining :D

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

orzelek wrote: Small but dense resources do provide different challenge for mining :D
Like this? http://i.imgur.com/DP7PYWk.png

I get stuff like this a lot. Hardly any big patches.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Small but dense? Well not a change i'm looking forward to. i thought the goal of the mod was to expand per train, not to surpress the progress of the factory by ristricting the income of ore, or rather slowing it down significantly. Building a train line for mini orefields, doesn't sound challenging nor fun, just tedios to stump instead of one big mine 5 little ones and having thus monsters of stations to handel the arriving trains.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

It's been forth and back recently on both size and amount of resources.

I'm starting to think there is no balance possible where everyone will be satisfied;)

I see that I overdid a bit with size decrease and relating size to total amount of resources in patch.
I'll try to reduce it or maybe remove total amount control totally to go back to way it was before.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”