Resource Spawner Overhaul - Old discussion thread

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Resource Spawner Overhaul - Discussion thread

Post by Blu3wolf »

Have just worked out that Im not on the latest version of RSO anyway. Was running 1.0.2 instead.

1.1.1's config.lua file has all the spawning logic stripped out of it, so I guess I need to go hunting.

Appreciate the suggestion for patience, but factorio is my 'patience' whilst waiting for updates on other stuff. Bit pointless if I wait on this too! I guess Ill keep fiddling with it instead.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

As said messing around with that stuff makes it act funny.
and copy pasting something that "might" be similar, i've no clue what might come out of that.
The Compatibilities are seperate Luas in some folder, where they are run together no clue.
I think i've seen a NAR compat but that thing was certainly for the old Version.

the spawning logic has been removed from the config long ago, at least i've never seen it in there.

But no gurantee to anything. might end up complete without brinepools anyways or have them act funny/not working as intendet.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

think I nutted it out, at least brine pools do spawn now and are also affected by RSO (though whether they are affected completely as intended is uncertain). Going to play through with it now and see if it breaks when it gets to generating the non standard resources.
Attachments
rso-mod_1.1.1.zip
RSO1.1.1 fiddle for NARMod
(26.2 KiB) Downloaded 130 times

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I'm currently waiting for NARMod release and some time to play through it then. It might coincide with 0.12 release that might shake things up a bit.
If you are really interested about compatibility then resourceconfigs folder contains all the configs now. In there the mainconfig file is the one thats responsible for detection and inclusion of all the mods. I think that NARMod still hits the bob's ores section due to it being ore based not remote interface related.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

damien has statet the only thing you have to care about are brine pools, he has dropped the extra ores and uses vanilla.
He let's you extract the other resources from Iron coal and co.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Using RSO (and a few other mods), I tried to create a map and discovered that no resources were generated at all.

Apart from creating a new map and converting to a scenario, is there anything I could do to get the generation back?

My intention was to create a 1000x1000 sand area with a small amount of water and a small basic pile of resources (Trees,Coal,Stone,Iron,Copper)

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

I don't know how RSO reacts in the map generator, but firstly with RSO such a "startbuild" is needless, RSO has a starting area defined that provides you everything for starting. Secondly, there was a config option to disable the Vanilla Override, but i don't know if it's still used or more precise if its still does what it was supuosed to.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Takezu wrote:I don't know how RSO reacts in the map generator, but firstly with RSO such a "startbuild" is needless, RSO has a starting area defined that provides you everything for starting. Secondly, there was a config option to disable the Vanilla Override, but i don't know if it's still used or more precise if its still does what it was supuosed to.
I know RSO handles the starting area and spreads the resources out further,
I was wanting to create an open unobstructed area for my factory. And putting the Resources in a line next to each other rather than at random points throughout the starting area.
Also, I'm not sure just how big the "Very Big" starting area is set to, hence why I chose a 1000x1000 area. That will be plenty for my factory throughout the entire playthrough (hopefully)

There is a config setting to disable vanilla override

Code: Select all

override_normal_spawn = true   -- if false then the standard spawner can also spawn full grown resources/entities,
                               -- set resources you want to control through this config to "None" in worldgen "Size" settings when starting a new game
                               -- changing of this setting requires game restart, i.e. close game and start it again, not actally a new game

override_type = 'full'    -- 'full' - no spawns by game are allowed, 'partially' - very small patches are spawned by world gen
                               -- changing of this setting requires game restart
From what I understand it will allow the normal resource spawning (not spread out) And I also have enabled to straight world mod (well the config in RSO to use it)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Those settings are not really supported and I have no idea what happens after scenario load with RSO.
Override setting disables standard generation in a way that might be stored in the save itself.

Did you try to run RSO's resource regen? It should omit starting area and rebuild all resources around it. Setting starting_area_size to 8-9 should give you about 1kx1k tiles starting area. Instructions for that are in description thread first post under usage.

Lime
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lime »

What does the "force" in the control.lua means? What does that value correspond to?

Also, how do I limit the amount of resources in the starting area? When I set both size and richness to 0.5 - I get a multiple smaller deposits in a starting area. The goal is to have very little resources in starting area - just about enough to research trains and build a railroad to nearest out-of-base deposit (considering bob's mods are used). Also, 1 oil field is more than enough for a starting area.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

You need to edit the ressource files themselfs.
The Strting Area is hardcoded, to ensure that every one, how slow he maybe, can get to trains.
There is nothing like the golden amount that you need to get there, thats for every one different.

I also suggest not to mess with it to much, what use have all those fancy researchs when coal is empty an the next deposit is thanks to RNG at the back of the beyond.
especialy with bob mods i woulden't even dare to fiddel, my next copper mine in actual map lies some 2000 rails away. and thats only one way and only the copper.

At current state of balance i usually run low of either copper or iron, at the point where i've just laied out the basics railnetwork and made it to the next deposit.
I think the balance of the starting area is good as it is, in terms of Coal Stone Iron Copper.

Extra ores are a different story, running on my starting lead up to the point where i've all blue since done, orzelek thats way to much.

Lime
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lime »

Do you have any idea where the minimum amount for starting area is set?

Over the 4 last games I've got all non-alien researches completed using only 1 oil well, about 50-90% of starting iron deposit, 50-80% copper & stone and 20-40% coal used. And that's with size and richness set to 0.8 and 0.5.

On non-vanilla ores - I think there should be none of those in starting location at all. They are not that essential anyway.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

If you play bobs ekectronics override, you should have a bit of lead and tin to get the basic blue since up, without it no chance.
Richness multiplier doesn'T effect starting area neither does size, as said, my first mine stands usually when my first copper/iron runs out, and after that going onwards, my starting area is empty and everything has to come by train.

You can'T define a minimum perse if i understand it correctly you set an min max spane, of which the total amount can vary greatly.
It depends also on biter placement around the start, a train is pretty much useless when your out of iron but have to shoot your way to a mine.

The one Oilwell i may doubt, if you are on the latest, normally you have 3 wells which are round about 100% each, thats nothing to carry you far.

But if you insits, in the mod folder is a folder called ressourceconfigs, there you find al definitions for the compatible mods and vanilla.
There ar the Values. Fair Warning, messing to much with it, your maps may become hardly unto unplayable.

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

I just installed the mod (got tired of restarting map 1000 times to get all resources at the start) but after i revealed part of the map i got this: http://i.imgur.com/I6fXbjc.png Not only are patches of resources rather close but there is also shitton of biters. Now i changed the region_size to 6 but should it look like this or did i screw smth up?

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Lowering the region size brings everything closer together.
Other then a bit unlucky RNG it looks relativly normal to me.

Sphinx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sphinx »

Hello,
I started playing with the shadow modpack. But removed "endless resource" and added RSO. After some playing i found out that tin is needed a lot thanks to bob mods. At spawn there is the small amount if tin. Then i explored the map, could not find any more tin. Even with
/c game.forces.player.chart({lefttop = {x = -4096, y = -4096 }, rightbottom = {x = 4096 , y = 4096}})
there where very few spots with a tiny bit of tin. A to low amount for what i would like, more tin than copper is needed for red chips (the bobs mod equivalent).

First question: If i raise the tin allotment in the config. Does it effect new chunks in an already started game?
Second question: what is the best value to change? Allotment or spawns per region?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

@Lime - factors should affect starting area although I might have broken richness one witch means it will spawn more fields till my predefined limit is met.
Currently amount of ore in starting area is between 10-15 times the richness given for starting area in config file. Generator will try it's best to reach this value with actual amount of generated ore. It should take richness multiplier correctly - would need to do some testing on that.

I admit I'm not playing vanilla and with shadows modpack and science costs buff I had enough resources in starting area to get to blue and they are slowly drying out after 30h. Thats with richness multiplier 2 - I have no idea how this should be balanced really. And I'm not sure if I'm willing to build some difficulty level there - most optimal would be ability to read mapgen settings for ores but it's not possible atm.

@Sphinx Thats a typical case of bad luck rng. It's possible that tin might need buff since it's needed in big quantities for circuits production. I'll buff it a bit when doing next updates - both for start area and further fields. If you edit config it will count for newly generated regions in a running game - allotment will give more chances for resource to appear while amount of spawns will make more fields in same area after it has been rolled. Modifying richness and size of field will make it more rich in actual ore. I'd try to take a look at those small fields - they might be small but ore rich - large stacks per ore node. Thats new gen protection to make sure that small field has similar amount of ore to big one - just more concentrated.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Well, outside of the starting area i'D agree, there could be more tin. but inside i don'T know, Tin isn't really needet for the low tier stuff.
And it's not needet for anything araound trains. That uses all the circute equivalent. Don't know what shadow does, but for a normal bobs mod playthrough
It's almost too much. I've almost all blue since done and run still on starting lead and have send of my train for tin not long ago.
And i set down the multipliers to around 1.1.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

orzelek wrote:Those settings are not really supported and I have no idea what happens after scenario load with RSO.
Override setting disables standard generation in a way that might be stored in the save itself.

Did you try to run RSO's resource regen? It should omit starting area and rebuild all resources around it. Setting starting_area_size to 8-9 should give you about 1kx1k tiles starting area. Instructions for that are in description thread first post under usage.
Well it turns out that it generates the ores on creating a new game, not during the Map Editor.
I created a patch of resources all lined up and then the RNG put more resources around the place. I guess I can work with that :)

Sphinx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sphinx »

Thanks for the information.

I would say that the tin in the starting area is enough. In my Game it is around 25k. You need around 1.7 tin for every red Chip equivalent.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”