[0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Post by cpy »

Does RSO generate ground-water for bob mods?

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

cpy wrote:Does RSO generate ground-water for bob mods?
It should, as well as the lithia water patches

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

It doesn't seem so for us, I must check if we have some wrong version or settings.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

cpy wrote:It doesn't seem so for us, I must check if we have some wrong version or settings.
You are not using my mods, are you?

Aonova
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aonova »

Arch666Angel wrote:
cpy wrote:It doesn't seem so for us, I must check if we have some wrong version or settings.

I'm using both your Ores and Refining mods and I have yet to find fissures or ground/lithia water on the map with RSO. I did modify my RSO config to make chunks larger and spread stuff out more overall, so maybe I must explore more. I just want confirmation that it isn't a known bug. Thanks ;)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Aonova wrote:
Arch666Angel wrote:

I'm using both your Ores and Refining mods and I have yet to find fissures or ground/lithia water on the map with RSO. I did modify my RSO config to make chunks larger and spread stuff out more overall, so maybe I must explore more. I just want confirmation that it isn't a known bug. Thanks ;)
You won't find ground/lithia water with Angel's mods. You need to search for fissures. Quite big orange-ish rectangles on map and in world they look like big crack in terrain.

Aonova
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aonova »

orzelek wrote:
Aonova wrote:
Arch666Angel wrote:

You won't find ground/lithia water with Angel's mods. You need to search for fissures. Quite big orange-ish rectangles on map and in world they look like big crack in terrain.
Thanks. I suppose this would thus make Bob's water jacks obsolete? Well, angel666's extractor graphic looks cooler anyways :D

ThordanSsoa
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ThordanSsoa »

So I just installed RSO and Bob's mods and I'm also getting a pair of messages telling me that ground-water/lithia-water won't be generated. Is there something I need to do to fix this?

WoodyDaOcas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by WoodyDaOcas »

what mod versions ?
I just went ahead and explored a bit (20 minutes of running around :P) to find 2 lithia water on my map. RSO 2.0.10 and latest BOB's, too.
http://prntscr.com/btx6em

Didn't encounter your message, tho

ThordanSsoa
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ThordanSsoa »

I'm running 0.12.35 so I installed the latest versions of bob's mods for 0.12 and I installed 1.5.6 of RSO since the others said they required 0.13

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

ThordanSsoa wrote:I'm running 0.12.35 so I installed the latest versions of bob's mods for 0.12 and I installed 1.5.6 of RSO since the others said they required 0.13
There is no support for new waters in RSO for 0.12 series.
I'm not sure if it's worth adding - 0.13 is quite mature now and pretty stable.

Pandemoneus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pandemoneus »

Hey orzelek,
can you explain the following options in the global config to me?

Code: Select all

absolute_resource_chance = 0.40
Is that 0.4% or 40%?

richness_distance_factor=0.7 
I am not quite sure what "exponent for richness distance factor calculation" means. If this config value is an exponent, shouldn't values less than 1 decrease the richness? Can you tell me the whole formula?

size_distance_factor=0.1
Same question as above.
My RSO+Bob's+Angel's modpack: Farlands (outdated)
Mods (current): Resource Labels
Mods (old): Biter Spires

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Resource chance is in 0-1 range. 0.4 is 40%.

Size and richness factors are used like this:
modifier = dist^factor
where distance is measured in regions from center.

Factor decides of how speed of increase relates to distance. Size by default has very small factor so it won't go up quickly, richness has 0.7 which makes it go up pretty fast but still far from linear. You could go above one and then increase speed would exceed distance.

There is also another "hidden" increase that gets calculated based on size of resource field. It's based on average of height and width and uses exponent of 0.6. It's not configurable currently. Main reason for it's existence is to not produce bigger fields that end up with low resource per node.

Alaxandir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Alaxandir »

@Orzolek

I am going to start over with a clean install of just bob's mods and RSO.

I initially had downloaded a mod-pack which may have had some changes to the config files I didn't realize. I've only been playing factorio for a few days. :)

EDIT: Works as intended, I have all resources I'm supposed to in starting area. It must have been something not playing nicely in the mod-pack I had downloaded. Appreciate your help.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Which modpack did you download?

Alaxandir
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Alaxandir »

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=31146

This pack,
though I disabled some things in it and probably messed up the ore generation on my own.

Namely, I disabled your mods and a few others. (I loved your stuff it was just too much for a newbie <3 I'll be adding it in to my games later) and I'd guess he had something set up in the configs to sort out the Quartz and I broke it.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

My mods are in there, so if you left angelsinfiniteores and angelsrefining enabled you wont get any ores from bobs or else, they are replaced by 6 compound ores from which you need to refine to get the smeltable ores.

Zelenka
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zelenka »

Hello,

Firstly, let me start by saying thank you for such a great mod! I've been really enjoying it.

I have one question/request. I've been playing mostly single player games with an occasional coop multiplayer game. However, I am starting to look more into PvP multiplayer recently and I'm wondering if it might be possible to have a remote call for RSO that will generate a starting area at a set of coordinates?

I've been looking at your source code and I see you have a spawn_starting_resources(surface) function that will iterate through a list of resources defined in a config, but that always defaults to 0,0. I understand that this is meant for single player purposes, but I wonder how difficult it might be to add in an optional parameter to define a custom position and adding a remote call for, say, remote.call("RSO", "genStartArea", x, y) or something?

This would allow admins to generate a starting area for different forces upon locating a suitably open area and setting spawn coordinates there. I understand based on looking at your code that it would require some restructuring of your spawn_starting_resources, but I think it might be a handy tool for multiplayer admins to have.

Anyway, thanks again for a great mod! I'd understand if this isn't doable at this time.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Zelenka wrote:Hello,

Firstly, let me start by saying thank you for such a great mod! I've been really enjoying it.

I have one question/request. I've been playing mostly single player games with an occasional coop multiplayer game. However, I am starting to look more into PvP multiplayer recently and I'm wondering if it might be possible to have a remote call for RSO that will generate a starting area at a set of coordinates?

I've been looking at your source code and I see you have a spawn_starting_resources(surface) function that will iterate through a list of resources defined in a config, but that always defaults to 0,0. I understand that this is meant for single player purposes, but I wonder how difficult it might be to add in an optional parameter to define a custom position and adding a remote call for, say, remote.call("RSO", "genStartArea", x, y) or something?

This would allow admins to generate a starting area for different forces upon locating a suitably open area and setting spawn coordinates there. I understand based on looking at your code that it would require some restructuring of your spawn_starting_resources, but I think it might be a handy tool for multiplayer admins to have.

Anyway, thanks again for a great mod! I'd understand if this isn't doable at this time.
It should be possible - it has a bit more far reaching consequences so would need lots of testing. Thing is that each of those starting areas would need to be treated as such and then skipped when generating resources. I changed starting area checks recently so it shouldn't be very difficult to implement now.
I think I would also need to clear newly added starting area from already generated resources ?

Multiplayer might get more popular with 0.14 so it could be a useful feature - can't give you a precise estimate for implementation tho. Will try to take a look this weekend and see how it would work.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

New version (2.2.0) is up with support for multiple starting locations in multiplayer.
Detailed usage instructions are available in description thread.

New feature is a bit experimental so please let me know if it causes issues when used.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”