New logistic chest Type / Filtered logistic storage chests ☸

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

1n5aN1aC
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

New logistic chest Type / Filtered logistic storage chests ☸

Post by 1n5aN1aC »

We need either a new type of logistics chest, or the ability of specifying storage chests to be only used for specific materials.

Here's the main scenario where this becomes an issue:

I set up a large-scale production operation, lets say just a bunch of furnaces making Iron plates.
I want the outputs from these to be accessible by logistics robots, so I have them eventually deposit into either Supplier chests or Storage chests, as these are the only chests the robots can access.
However, I don't want to robots to empty the chest, that would cause a LOT of un-needed logistics robot work, and defeat the purpose of putting the materials into the chest.
So that leaves only storage chests. However, If I use storage chests, the robots eventually start dumping unrelated items into my iron plate chests, which can rage from a minor annoyance, to a serious problem, because it eventually messes up non-logistics stuff I had pulling from those iron plate storage chests.

I think we need either the already-suggested (though i've only seen it in a comment, not a thread) logistics chest that robots can supply from, but will not put items into, or extract if there is no destination, Or a way to lock storage chests to only accept items of a particular type, or multiple types.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: New logistic chest Type

Post by ficolas »

You can solve this with a smart inserter+a provider chest+a smart chest.
Dont really think we need another chest, I dont even use the storage chest atm.

1n5aN1aC
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by 1n5aN1aC »

I'm not sure how a "smart inserter+a provider chest+a smart chest" solves this problem at all, unless your not using any storage chests, which I could do without, but I do use them to optimize a lot of workflow, but it could be possible to stop using them I suppose.

Rens2Sea
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Rens2Sea »

It would be nice to have a filter option on storage chests. :)

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

Original comment here. Quote:
immibis wrote:What if there was another type of chest that is between a provider and a storage chest? Call it a production chest.

Logistics bots would only take items from production chests to requester chests. They would not take items from production chests to storage chests, and they would never insert items into production chests.

Then a provider chest means "take these items and put them in storage" and a production chest means "you can use these items, but I don't want them moved to storage."
And storage chests provide space for centralized "cloud storage" where you don't care how things are organised, you just want them to be stored somewhere.

1n5aN1aC
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by 1n5aN1aC »

immibis wrote:Original comment here. Quote:
immibis wrote:snip.
Exactly what I was talking about.

I do believe that allowing some sort of filtering for storage chests would also solve all problems I have had with it, though less elegantly, perhaps.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

Idea for the name: instead of calling these "production chests", I think it would be more logical for these to be called "provider chests", and the current provider chests renamed to "insertion chests" or something similar - the definition of "provide" is to "make available for use" and these chests do exactly that, whereas the current provider chests cause items to be inserted into the network.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Makes sense.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Deathmage
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Deathmage »

Or you could just create a massive field of storage chests and hope for the best :). No seriously storage chests are just to dump random things in another chest is needed. All i want is a robot charger, the amount of robots that die waiting to be charged is annoying.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

Deathmage wrote:Or you could just create a massive field of storage chests and hope for the best :). No seriously storage chests are just to dump random things in another chest is needed. All i want is a robot charger, the amount of robots that die waiting to be charged is annoying.
This chest is for when you don't want to dump random things in.

erikem
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Filtered logistic storage chests

Post by erikem »

joined into this thread -- ssilk
--------
It would be nice if logistic storage chests could be filtered for input items.

Storage chest with filter would act exactly the same as regular storage chest except for accepting only the items from the filter list.

Benefit: would allow to create localized storages of desired resources without mixing them with the rest of the stuff in the "active provider" network

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Suggestionsummary

Post by ssilk »

User-story: As player I want to set a filter for a storage chest
Storage chest with filter would act exactly the same as regular storage chest except for accepting only the items from the filter list.
Game-value: high. It would enable a lot of new strategies.
Acceptance criterias:
- if it is possible to set more than one filter, the number of items in the chest are split. 2 items mean: 50% of the stacks for type 1, the other for type 2.
- a balancing between storage chests requesting the same item-type: all filtered storage chests should contain nearly equal amounts per logistic network; if more filters per chest is possible, this balancing should be accorded to the number of maximum stacks per item per chest.
- filtered storage chests have a preference over "unfiltered" storage chests.
- Items in unfiltered storage chests are automatically moved to filtered, only if there is no place it's moved into "unfiltered" storage chest.

Edit: This is a test of the idea from here https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=4924
I took some random post and try to figure out the remaining stuff.

Edit: "%summary%" doesn't work, not well searchable with inbuilt search, finds too much (seems like % is replaced cause SQL escaping). Trying "#summary#" instead.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: New logistic chest Type / Filtered logistic storage ches

Post by Neotix »

Just make it like in wagons. Set filter on each chest slot and bots will put in that slot only that items. Plus add ability to copy filters setup from chest to chest.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New logistic chest Type / Filtered logistic storage ches

Post by ssilk »

I thought to that of course, it makes no sense to set 48 times a stack filter. Wagons differ from chests in number of stacks.

All in all that is an implementation detail and not needed to be described.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Filtered logistic storage chests

Post by immibis »

Are you sure ssilk? This thread was originally for passive provider chests, which have been implemented. Filtered storage chests should probably have a different suggestion thread.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New logistic chest Type / Filtered logistic storage chests ☸

Post by ssilk »

This thread is so vague and open. :)
It says in my eyes just: We need a fifth type of chest and when we are on it, let's add filter for the chests slots too and so, that the filter setting is more easy and not all slots have to be set explicitly.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”