Plz change how Train signal works...

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

PanTobi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Plz change how Train signal works...

Post by PanTobi »

TL:DR
-> Change where You place Train Signals, instead of placing them OUTSIDE rails, make them INSIDE rails...
so we can place Signals anywhere we need to...
s1.png
s1.png (3.99 KiB) Viewed 3139 times

Current train signals are annoying AF... srsl...
I can't build small and compact Railway network because of those stu*$ f&$*...

It must be always ONE LITTLE TINY LIGHT MISSING THAT RUINS EVERYTHING...

So plz... change how Train Signals works, how u place them...

Instead of placing Rail Signals on SIDE of the rail... plz make it so we can place rail signal INSIDE rails...
so we have no limits on where and how many Signals we put... for last 90 min im trying to build my new Design for rails

And as always signals don't want to Coop...

Here is example... if i could place ONE LIGHT right there in middle where Left ways cross... everything could work 100% perfect...
but because i can't place light here... Trains going left will block trains going right etc.

( Ignore that im not using Chain Signals, i just always use Regualr signals to split rails into segments and then i replace Signal with Chains )
SS

4 of 5 of my Rails Designs are going to trash just because of "YOU CAN"T PUT SIGNAL HERE"...

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Plz change how Train signal works...

Post by boskid »

No.

- It would not be clear which way they bind so they would basically turn into bidirectional signals everywhere.
- They could be placed on a position where a metal of overlapping rail is making trains able to ride over a signal which would be ugly.

I think it should be possible to change rail signal collision mask to one that does not collide with rails. Only requirement here is for rail signals to collde with any other rail signal or rail chain signal entity.

vjbone
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vjbone »

boskid wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:00 pm
No.

- It would not be clear which way they bind so they would basically turn into bidirectional signals everywhere.
- They could be placed on a position where a metal of overlapping rail is making trains able to ride over a signal which would be ugly.

I think it should be possible to change rail signal collision mask to one that does not collide with rails. Only requirement here is for rail signals to collde with any other rail signal or rail chain signal entity.
1 rotate signal with R key 😀
2 like this? https://www.trains.com/wp-content/uploa ... signal.jpg

PanTobi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by PanTobi »

boskid wrote:
No.

Option 1: Add Signals on left / right side but inside Rais?
Option 2: Add Signals with Arrow that point direction???
s1.png
s1.png (5.96 KiB) Viewed 3112 times

PanTobi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by PanTobi »

vjbone wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:32 pm
2 like this? https://www.trains.com/wp-content/uploa ... signal.jpg
YES !!!
SS

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

When facing the same issue as you did, the answer I found is that I tried to build too small. Space is virtually infinite, wanting to cram everything is as little space as possible (or in less space than possible) is a puzzle on its own, but I don't find it entertaining past a certain point.
If you scale your intersections 2x bigger, you'll have excess space to fit your signals.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

vjbone
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vjbone »

I think TS its more like mod request
"compact train signals"

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

If you need to make it so small, I often rebuild everything. The destruction tool is your friend. I have a filter for rails/signals :). In most cases I find ways to build, what’s needed.

The general rule (I’m the same opinion as Koub): you make it too small. Double everything and you’ll have no problems.

And what’s much more annoying is, that you can’t build signals in curves. It is so irritating, you need a lot of experience to plan ahead that to make fast and save crossings.

boskid wrote:
Does that mean you can build a signal, even if there is rail?

vjbone wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:59 pm
I think TS its more like mod request
"compact train signals"
Not sure, if that does help. I mean, the placing of signals feels a bit clumsy from beginning, because you can’t place signals everywhere. It is a kind of puzzle from beginning. But if you just won’t puzzle then make it big.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

vulduv
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Allow railway signals to be placed between adjacent rails.

Post by vulduv »

TL:DR
Allow Railway signals to be placed between rails to remove unneeded gameplay differences between RHD railways and LHD railways.
What?
Remove placement collision between railway signals and rails to allow for signals to be placed between the rails themselves. Except on junctions obviously.
Why should this be changed?
Which side trains should drive on is considered to be up to personal preference by most players. Yet railway signals (Which are always on the right side relative to the driving direction) collide with rails, making some designs impossible when using LHD or RHD.
Allowing railway signals and rails to "occupy" the same space would make both driving directions completely equal gameplay wise.
It would also allow for tighter designs, which could be fun.
Visual changes
The original models would have to be retweaked to better fit their new placement, as the current sprites are too large to fit between the rails.
And the placement icons that show up when holding railway signals would have to be altered.
Implementation
Very little would have to change with how players place, remove and interact with the railway signals. They would just get more choice.
As for the code, i have no idea how that would work. As i'm not a modder.
Maybe a modder will make a QOL mod using this suggestion? If someone does turn this into a mod, please link it below!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread with the same suggestion. Also, highly unlikely this will be implemented one day.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

These are one of those things, that are deep frozen into the game engine.

It would be much more likely to change the whole train system, because it has many small issues. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”