Tag release posts with "experimental" and "stable" as appropriate

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

joequincy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Tag release posts with "experimental" and "stable" as appropriate

Post by joequincy »

TL;DR
Currently, posts in the Releases forum with patch notes don't differentiate between Stable and Experimental. It would be nice if they did.
What ?
When a new version is released to any channel (branch?), it would be nice if the relevant post in the Releases forum was in some way identified with the target channel. Automated tools for monitoring releases like Patchbot.io have a hard time differentiating between the two channels without that, and it should be (I'd venture a guess) relatively trivial to add this information.
Why ?
Tools like Patchbot are popular because they allow players to subscribe to and aggregate information about updates to the games they care about in one place. These tools are better when they can provide features like focusing on a particular release channel, so it'd be nice to add the additional detail to patch notes.

This could be added in a format that's both machine- and human-friendly, which would also be a minor benefit to players reading the patch notes right here in the forum. For example, I only found out that 1.1.19 was released to Stable when I saw last week's FFF post today. The patch notes in the forum link to the experimental channel to download, so I had assumed that it was still experimental.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tag release posts with "experimental" and "stable" as appropriate

Post by Loewchen »

The status can change after a version has been released, so this is not an option. If you want to know which versions are currently stable/experimental see www.factorio.com.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”