(Oversimplified, ignore please) Make chain signals the norm, and rail signals for experts

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Make chain signals the norm, and rail signals for experts

Post by SoShootMe »

(I'll post this anyway as written just before it was updated/moved...)
ssilk wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:07 am
Indeed quite interesting idea. It really would lower the learning curve.

But I’m not 100% sure. Because when you see chain signals on junctions, this picture changes. It needs to be tested, if that would make it really easier to understand.
I agree it is an interesting idea, and initially I thought it sounded great... but after seeing your post, the more I think about it, the more that change in picture you mention seems like a bad trade-off. It requires "unlearning" which is an approach that is generally best avoided as far as possible, and is unfavourable compared to one that refines and adds to existing knowledge/understanding - think of how increasingly complex concepts in eg mathematics and science are introduced in school.

Perhaps a better solution to address the "Why?" of this suggestion is to include more direct focus on common mistakes that can result in deadlock in (existing or additional) tutorials: demonstrate the problem and hint how to fix the signaling to avoid it, so that after following the tutorials you will hopefully be less likely to make the same mistakes. But there is a fine line here to making tutorials too prescriptive which I feel goes against the general ethos of the game.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”