0.17 what i wish to see in a demo

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

pichutarius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

0.17 what i wish to see in a demo

Post by pichutarius »

(this might be in a suggestion or balancing, im not sure)

i played the demo 3 times, this is what i wish to see in a demo:

1. partially built factory with destroyed rubble. (like old demo)
The old demo silently teach me how to build a production line from zero knowledge, by showing examples, and let me think which building fit into the rubble. i thought it was a brilliant tutorial. (my fav one is the map with trains introduction)

2. let player choose their learning pace.
Some players are slow learner, the old demo took me 5 hours to complete, i enjoy every second, slowly exploring, figuring, rebuilding and playing around different stuff. New demo will punish this behavior because stuff produced are not turn into bullets.

3. production first, combat second.
In freeplay, the ultimate consumption is science, demo should reflect that. Biter is not a good idea as a "consumption pressure" (according to the designer). newcomer's might think its combat thus giving wrong impression, and what designer say about "consumption pressure" is irrelevant.
(actually there is nothing wrong/weird to produce 1000 this and that as an objective, like old demo)

4. as similar to freeplay as possible.
I dont like how existing tech tree is altered. Adding demo-only tech tree is fine, it can serve as a consumption and objective.
I dont like how demo focus so much on combat (biters), please focus on automation and science.
I dont like how biters appear out of nowhere. make an indestructible spawner or other solution.
Preferably when demo finish, unlock all tech and it can become freeplay seamlessly.

For now, old demo serve better as a showcase to newcomer in my opinion, nevertheless i enjoy the game.

btw, i played the demo 3 times.
first time i lost horribly, then
i cheese by holding objective progress and prepare myself.
i replay again, i cheese by placing turret over cliff and derp out the biters.

_wf_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: 0.17 what i wish to see in a demo

Post by _wf_ »

2 is supposed to work (that's the other end of the autoscaling), did you have trouble with the attacks before starting the last research?

I wholeheartedly agree with your other points.

I love how the old demo (third level) worked in this regard – you could go hunting for the biters if you were so inclined, otherwise they were just nuisance enough that you wanted to automate defense (no quest item required!) Which is an extremely good preview for how it works in freeplay.

This one is a great teaser for a possibly upcoming new campaign, I must admit it made me want to see more – but that campaign doesn't even exist yet, and probably nobody bought the game for the old one. Making (only) this the demo would frankly be quite misleading as to what you're getting.

newllama
Inserter
Inserter

Post by newllama »

Yeah I really enjoyed the train level in the old campaign as well. I was hoping to see more of that in the new campaign.

After you finish the new campaign if you hit "continue playing" it opens the map up a little more and there's a weird bunker with a few electric furnaces up to the northwest. I'm hopeful that's the start of something much much larger, on the scale of the train outpost level.

pichutarius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pichutarius »

_wf_ wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:11 pm
2 is supposed to work (that's the other end of the autoscaling), did you have trouble with the attacks before starting the last research?
i get attack after last research, without knowing
1. it is the last research and "win" after that
2. it triggers crazy biter attack
3. it scale with science progression? and production?

all above seems like a veteran "trap" to me.

abregado
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by abregado »

I feel like the new tutorial already hits your first three points, and I'm considering some of your Number 4 points.

Good feedback, but we have a new version now. Moving this to outdated.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”