Short Handed Inserter

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

headblower47
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Short-Handed Inserters

Post by headblower47 »

My idea is based on how it can be frustrating to have to correct the inserters only placing 'result' materials on one side of the conveyor belt, the furthest side. My idea would make a type of inserter that places the 'result' material on the inner most side of the belt. I have included a basic diagram to display what i mean, the Blue is where the new inserter would place materials, the Yellow is where they all currently deposit materials.
Attachments
Short handed inserter.png
Short handed inserter.png (808.88 KiB) Viewed 3843 times

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Short-Handed Inserters

Post by d3x0r »

Bob's Adjustable Inserters allows modification of pickup/dropoff position. (after some research) That's all it does, is allows editing pickups (requires some researches to unlock full ability) Also requires bob's function library mod for common functions it uses

headblower47
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by headblower47 »

Th
d3x0r wrote:Bob's Adjustable Inserters allows modification of pickup/dropoff position. (after some research) That's all it does, is allows editing pickups (requires some researches to unlock full ability) Also requires bob's function library mod for common functions it uses
I think their should also be an in-game option for this feature, mostly due to the fact it is a rather useful in the base game and beginners may not know how to install mods/may not want to install mods, but still take use of this feature.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

headblower47 wrote:Th
d3x0r wrote:Bob's Adjustable Inserters allows modification of pickup/dropoff position. (after some research) That's all it does, is allows editing pickups (requires some researches to unlock full ability) Also requires bob's function library mod for common functions it uses
I think their should also be an in-game option for this feature, mostly due to the fact it is a rather useful in the base game and beginners may not know how to install mods/may not want to install mods, but still take use of this feature.
The question has come up many times before, and mods to do this (in one way or another) have existed since I started playing the game back in 0.9.8.

From what I recall, the dev's perspective on why this isn't in the base game (and likely won't be) is because it's all part of solving puzzles. limited tools are fun, and with just a little bit of belt magic, you can already force items to one side of the belt, or the other.

PS, My inserters mod is actually one of very few of mine that doesn't require my library, the whole mod is scripting, and my library works on data stages only.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Please not more inserters. As inserters can already pick up from both sides of a belt they clearly have the mechanical ability to reach both sides. No new item needed. A config option like in Bob's adjustable inserters mod is the way to go.

davidjs
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by davidjs »

I wish there was a slide that could allow the products to slide down to the belt without electricity. Just like a regular belt except it has the possibility to extract the contents from a machine. This could allow the possibility of running a no electricity marathon.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

davidjs wrote:I wish there was a slide that could allow the products to slide down to the belt without electricity. Just like a regular belt except it has the possibility to extract the contents from a machine. This could allow the possibility of running a no electricity marathon.
It's loader (unloader), it's vanilla, but you can enable it with mods/cheats only.

For example you can load ore to powerful furnace and unload from it just by the way.
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/darkfrei/Loader-Furnace

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Here is a simple yet very effective mod for you
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Side%20Inserters
I think this functionality should be integrated into base game. I like puzzles but this is just QoL thing.
Bob's inserters
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Bobingabout/bobinserters
have more functionality but are not that easy to use.

Epb7304
Inserter
Inserter

Short Handed Inserter

Post by Epb7304 »

exactly how it sounds, kinda a counterpart to the long handed insterter. The Short Hander Insterter places its items on the close side of the belt and when facing the belt head on it places the items on the right side instead of the left.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Short Handed Inserter

Post by Engimage »

There is a mod for this (c)
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/bobinserters

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The idea of a short hand inserter, or a near inserter has existed for as long as long handed inserters have. Back in version 0.9.8 when I first started playing, Mods were including near inserters.
Also other ideas like long in short out (short in this case being standard range), or short in long out configurations. side inserters that only have a 90 degree rotation and place items either on their left, or right. Plus near handed, then all of these possible things combined. you'd have mods that add as many as 15 new versions of an inserter just to cover all of these options, plus duplicates if you also wanted smart versions (Inserters couldn't be wired to the circuit network, so you needed a smart inserter to do this. Filter inserters replaced what used to be a smart inserter when they changed it so any inserter could be wired up. Filter inserters had previously existed before the circuit network did)

Since about 0.12 or 0.13, you've been able to modify inserter range using scripts while the game is running. It was around this time when creating a unique entity that does this function in mods was phased out in favor of scripting alternatives, because you could script all kinds of different changes including all the previously mentioned options, and even more, such as double long handed or diagonal inserters.

My mod (as linked above, thanks PacifyerGrey) isn't the first to do this, but is one of the more complete mods that does this sort of thing, including lots of configuration options(up to 48 pick up and drop positions, and 9 drop offsets giving a total of 20736 possible configurations, though only 5076 are useful when you rule out placing in the same tile as picking up, and rotation duplicates), 2 different methods to pre-configure inserters (The simple tickbox option, or grid checkbox GUI) and 2 different methods to configure existing inserters (keyboard shortcuts or grid checkbox GUI), with research requirements to unlock many of the options.

Also it's updated for 0.17.

As for having it end up in the base game... The devs have consistantly said no to this idea, inserters always place on the far side of a belt, this is a puzzle that you have to figure out how to solve.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

[ick] Merged two topics about short handed inserters and moved it to Outdated/Not implemented. See 16856 for example.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”