Questions to the Devs: Are you interested in a Usability Test for the new menu coming for 0.17?

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Spook
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Questions to the Devs: Are you interested in a Usability Test for the new menu coming for 0.17?

Post by Spook »

I was making a reddit post and was advised to ask in here (https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... sted_in_a/)

To give some more context.
I'm a masters student in Usability Engineering, my Lectures are done I gonna start my master thesis soon this year.
Therefore I'd like to get some experience and use my learned knowledge in some projects.

I love Factorio and the interface will be reworked for 0.17. This sounds like the perfect opportunity to test the interface to get the best Usability :)

Here an explanation what Usability means:
"extent to which a system, product or service can be used by specified users to achieve specified goals with effectiveness, efficiency and satisfaction in a specified context of use" (ISO 9241-210)
The most important points are:
  • Effectiveness: "accuracy and completeness with which users achieve specified goals" (ISO 9241-11:1998)
  • Efficiency: "resources expended in relation to the accuracy and completeness with which users achieve goals" (ISO 9241-11:1998)
  • Satisfaction: "freedom from discomfort and positive attitudes towards the use of the product" (ISO 9241-11:1998)
Further goals of Usability are Error Tolerance, and that the program is easy to learn

What does it help for the company?
  • Early feedback from user
  • Errors will be found before release
  • Less time spent for maintenance
  • Improved User Experience ("person's perceptions and responses resulting from the use and/or anticipated use of a product, system or service")
  • Less stress & discomfort for user
  • Gives a competitive advantage

@Factorio Team: If you are interested please contact me. I would love to help out making the menu as good as possible!

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”