Adding a new song to the Soundtrack

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Bram06
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Adding a new song to the Soundtrack

Post by Bram06 »

I recently came across 'Broke For Free' by My Luck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESjJbNLcQhY. I think that it sounds like something straight from Factorio, would be cool if it could be included in the game? I feel as if it has that kind of 'productivity' feel to it.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Adding a new song to the Soundtrack

Post by Koub »

You may add whatever song to the soundtrack by adding the corresponding ogg file in the \data\base\sound\ambient subdir in your Factorio directory
btw why post in "Outdated / won't implement ideas" ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think it's the right place... :mrgreen:
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

All of the ambient music in the game was made by one composer and is designed to match with each other. I doubt the devs intend to add new music that doesn't quite have the same style and might be subject to licenses (in this case CC-BY which requires giving credit and a link to the license).
You also need to consider that once the devs do so then other players will make requests with their own taste in music, complicating the issue.
Koub wrote:You may add whatever song to the soundtrack by adding the corresponding ogg file in the \data\base\sound\ambient subdir in your Factorio directory
Only placing it there is not enough, you need to add it to data\base\prototypes\ambient-sounds.lua for Factorio to play it.

Editing base files is not recommended though (can mess with the updater and prevent multiplayer from working), instead add new songs or replace the soundtrack using mods, for example:
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”