Personal Roboports should not touch the Toolbar

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Personal Roboports should not touch the Toolbar

Post by SHiRKiT »

Toolbelt is the hands of the player, it's the setup he has, he specifically sets filters so that he ALWAYS have items available. Every player lives fiddling with the toolbelt, setting it up to it's preferences.

Personal roboports are an automated process, and thus should not interfere with your hand.

Shift clicking with ghost placement makes no sense with personal roboports, since they are just taking from your hand, it's basically the same as you building by hand.

Please let us then mod this behavior that you got wrong since the you imported the idea of the mod into the game.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Personal Roboports should not touch the Toolbar

Post by ssilk »

Could you please correct the last sentence? I don't understand it :)

And it's important (for me) to not mix up things: the player has a "hand", it's an own slot/stack - as the toolbelt slots. But not so present. So please avoid speaking of the toolbelt as "hand", cause the toolbelt is the toolbelt and the hand is the hand.
:)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I think he means "As you got it wrong, please let us fix it with mods since you implemented modding support" or something to that effect.

Personally I am against the idea of robots ignoring items in the toolbelt. It makes no sense, the point of Construction Robots is to automate building, why would I reserve stuff for manually building? If I put a blueprint down I don't think "Oh but don't touch the Inserters in my toolbelt, those are for placing manually." It means I would need to carry even more Inserters in my inventory, and if I find I need them away from my main base (more of a problem for rails or belts) I'm not exactly going to run all the way back to base, then all the way back to the outpost or rail line to place those bits, all the while with the required items in my toolbelt. It's totally backwards.

However I DO agree that bots should not take items out of your hand (the proper definition). If I've got say an Assembler or something in the cursor and I'm using it to place ghosts, it's really frustrating when a bot immediately leaves my Personal Roboport, grabs the item I'm holding and places it on the ghost. The reason I was using ghosts was because I only had one and I wanted my base logistics to deal with it, or I was planning, but now I need to dump all my robots in a chest so I can put down more than one ghost.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

A few possibilities.

* Robots should not take the last item of: (leave at least 1)
- stack in hand
- toolbar
- inventory

* Robots should not take anything from hand stack

The current way is not good. But how far will you go?

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

ssilk wrote:Could you please correct the last sentence? I don't understand it :)

And it's important (for me) to not mix up things: the player has a "hand", it's an own slot/stack - as the toolbelt slots. But not so present. So please avoid speaking of the toolbelt as "hand", cause the toolbelt is the toolbelt and the hand is the hand.
:)
I mean both of them. Never the robots should take items of the user's hand, nor from the toolbelt. Toolbelt is an extension of the player's hand.

The toolbelt is the where we put the reserved slots, and, topmost, it's only one stack of those items. Commonly used items (belts, inserters, poles and other non-machine items) usually requires multiple stacks for any one build anyways, so one is expected to have additional items of them in the inventory.

I could live with robots not taking items from our hand though instead of both hand and toolbelt.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The personal roboport was changed in 0.15 so it doesn't take items from the cursor anymore.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Rseding91 wrote:The personal roboport was changed in 0.15 so it doesn't take items from the cursor anymore.
Glad to hear that. That should solve most of the annoying part, since when you place a construction order, if your personal robots can't fulfill them, the robots form the network will do so, thus blocking from them taking from the toolbelt.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”