Assign Near/Far (or Left/Right) on Inserter ☸

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

AndaleTheGreat
Inserter
Inserter

Assign Near/Far (or Left/Right) on Inserter ☸

Post by AndaleTheGreat »

Would like to see an option (likely in gui) to set the Inserter arms to set on a specific side. I have watched and mine puts to farthest 4 to 8 times, then once on nearest.
Same option could work for taking things off as well. This would mean we'd need a third option like 'default' that uses the old method.

Molay
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Assign Near/Far on Inserter

Post by Molay »

AndaleTheGreat wrote:I have watched and mine puts to farthest 4 to 8 times, then once on nearest.
I've never had that happen to me on a straight belt. Did that happen on a curved belt? How did you manage this?^^

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Molay wrote: I've never had that happen to me on a straight belt. Did that happen on a curved belt? How did you manage this?^^
I believe this can happen when belt is moving directly away from inserter. The inserter places it in the middle ad item itself decides where to go. It usually chooses one side but if there are other items it can go the opposite I believe.

AndaleTheGreat
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AndaleTheGreat »

It happens from the side.
If placing on end it tends to go to right (as viewed from insterter position).

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

never seen it happening on side. in fact a lot of my designs revolve around the fact that inserters always put at the opposite side. even if i got 1 in 50+ chance of happening i would've noticed it as it would've broken a lot.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

It only happens sometimes if you insert on belts in curves or "from behind". If you add from the sides, inserters ALWAYS put stuff on the far side, never seen it any other way (and i use that mechanic a lot for my creations).

Please show us a screenshot in which case this wasn't working for you, AndaleTheGreat.
BTW, you don't really need an option for the side of the belt used (it could in fact even be problematic for multiplayer, scenarios and stuff). If you know how, you can easily switch sides, merge things together on belts with products on the side you choose them to be, and so on. It's just a question of design, but there are many little tricks to learn. But that's a bit offtopic; fact is, the problem you're describing shouldn't happen at all, except for the mentioned cases.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Pictures, please.

If the belt is not running directly away from the inserter or curved, the side should remain constant.

AndaleTheGreat
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AndaleTheGreat »

I'll try to catch it happening when I play again. I only realized it at one point cuz of my stuff getting blocked up. I wonder if something else was on the other side possibly.... I can't remember how that build went. Using no autosave and I got on the phone with a client but forgot to hit ESC so lost that build. I will make a point try and recreate tho.

This doesn't change the fact that I'd still like it for retrieval tho.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

No, declined :), this is already a mod (wide & near inserters): https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=3403
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Hyena Grin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hyena Grin »

Inserters will in fact stop putting items onto a belt if the far lane is full. They are so reluctant to place items on the near side of the belt that they will cease to function. So I'm not sure what your situation was.

When picking up objects, they will prefer the near side of the belt, but will take from either side if the near side is empty.

When placing down objects, they will only place on the far side of the belt. Which is good, because if it was random then a lot of my designs would have gummed up entirely.

I think that it would be a suitable feature for the Smart Inserter. It already has a UI, so it'd be nice if you could use the UI to choose which lane the arm was placing stuff on.

But it looks like you're stuck with a mod.

AndaleTheGreat
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AndaleTheGreat »

Hyena Grin wrote:Inserters will in fact stop putting items onto a belt if the far lane is full. They are so reluctant to place items on the near side of the belt that they will cease to function. So I'm not sure what your situation was.

When picking up objects, they will prefer the near side of the belt, but will take from either side if the near side is empty.

When placing down objects, they will only place on the far side of the belt. Which is good, because if it was random then a lot of my designs would have gummed up entirely.

I think that it would be a suitable feature for the Smart Inserter. It already has a UI, so it'd be nice if you could use the UI to choose which lane the arm was placing stuff on.

But it looks like you're stuck with a mod.
I shall take hold of this mod and squeeze it and love it and call it George. Also, good idea with smart insterter having it. Still haven't recreated, but haven't been playing as much as drinking tonight. :mrgreen:

khh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by khh »

ssilk wrote:No, declined :), this is already a mod (wide & near inserters): https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=3403
Makes sense, this seems like a design choice to me. After all small but surmountable problems is the very thing that makes this game fun.

pawel.dawidowski
Inserter
Inserter

inserter and two items on left and right side of the belt

Post by pawel.dawidowski »

joined into here, cause identical -- ssilk

------------------
Simple addition to a inserter would be a simple button which allows you to choose whenever the inserter put an item on close side or far side of the belt (lcurrently they always put it on far side).

This might help to project more complex production chains.

arl85
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: inserter and two items on left and right side of the bel

Post by arl85 »

I think that having to face this "limitation" of inserter putting on far side is part of the game.
And you can easily change side using belt (see here)
Do you need help taking screenshots in-game? have a look to my guide to calculate screenshot dimensions

tecxx
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: inserter and two items on left and right side of the bel

Post by tecxx »

pawel.dawidowski wrote:Simple addition to a inserter would be a simple button which allows you to choose whenever the inserter put an item on close side or far side of the belt (currently they always put it on far side).

This might help to project more complex production chains.

i put my vote up for this.
i'd also like inserters to have a switch or button which defines if they should put items to the "near" or "far" side of the belt.
same goes for drill outputs. i dont see the gameplay advantage of constructing workarounds just to output the item on a different side of the lane.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Suggestionsummary

Post by ssilk »

Userstory: See title.
Prerequisites: complete.
Game-value:
- Questionable, cause it changes a basic concept, which is part of the game.
- devs stated, that it is part of the game to handle the problems with near/far side.
- this is available as mod (see previous page in this thread)
Developer-costs: Unknown.
User-opinions: Especially older gamers are against this.

jonathanpaulson
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Inserters could choose which side of the conveyer they use

Post by jonathanpaulson »

----- joined ------ ßilk --------

Right now, the fact that inserters always place on the far or left side of the belt constrains some designs, especially early game. It would be really helpful to have this be a programmable option on the inserters.

The options should be "far vs. near" and "left vs. right". Depending on the inserter's orientation, you should only see one pair of options.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

See also the post(s) before. As much as this is wished, I don't see a big chance, that this is implemented. :)

Indeed it is several times stated, that handling these type of problems is part of the game.

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Assign Near/Far (or Left/Right) on Inserter

Post by katyal »

lol its so easy to track when a new batch of people buy this game

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Assign Near/Far (or Left/Right) on Inserter

Post by ssilk »

:lol:
:roll: I hope I get help, if they go to Steam. :shock: :cry:

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”