Fuses

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DragonPox90210
Inserter
Inserter

Fuses

Post by DragonPox90210 »

With more options for electric power in the works i hope to see some way of controling the flow of the currents like a fuse box of some kind that can be turned on and off redirecting power to different sectors. Maybe too much power can overload a machine or worse an entire black out? Just a suggestion :)

zlosynus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Fuses

Post by zlosynus »

I like this idea quite a lot :). Also, it would be very nice if you could somehow program priorities for energy consumption. For example in my factory, I have a separate coal mining site for my power plants. The problem is that if my power consumption gets too high, everything slows down, which slows down production of coal, which slows down energy production, which slows down coal mining even more and so on ... everything works as a spiral down to complete idle state. It would be nice if you could say that this coal mining site has priority for energy over everything, in the current state you have to disconnect the energy network from your power plants for some time.

Kadaban
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kadaban »

I can already see my long line of lasertowers blowing all fuses in a square kilometer around them.
But I agree, it would be great to be able to define an area that's vital and would get priority over other areas, like the inserters for the burners and the whole stuff actually needed to not spiral down into a "no power for more power" thingie.

Sadly, even my limited knowledge of electricity screams "that's not how electricity works!". We would need fuses and switches to direct the flow and shut off other parts of the network to favor others.
Maybe even add this ability to the circuitry network?

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Kadaban wrote: Maybe even add this ability to the circuitry network?
- something to be built next to a pole to measure "voltage-or-something" and send it on the appropriate network
- power relays and smart power relays capable of switching the power connection based on the network condition

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think this will bring in no game value. It just makes electricity more complex.
We also have similar discussions, that are better, for example https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =6&t=12652
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

ssilk wrote:I think this will bring in no game value. It just makes electricity more complex.
We also have similar discussions, that are better, for example https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =6&t=12652
According to Friday fact #88 controllable powerswitches are planned which takes care of one part of the suggestion

The overloading part is indeed a nay IMO

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”