Landfill requiring Exponential amounts to fill in lakes

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Lord_lammington
Inserter
Inserter

Landfill requiring Exponential amounts to fill in lakes

Post by Lord_lammington »

What:
So the idea is that landfill , once crafted will fill in lakes , but to curb people filling in their entire bases i propose the idea that , the further away you get form the originally generated lake the more landfill is required ,so the first 5 block will only require 1 then the next 5 will require 2 etc etc ,obviously this will have a limit , not more that 10-20 landfill per space. this , possibly combined with a system of bridges (suggested before) may perhaps be a nice way to stop players from making flat bases with tiny puddles as their water supply.
Why:
Well , simply put it adds a level of immersion. the oceans are not the depth of a paddling pool , they are deep , and they get deeper the further you get out.

TL;DR: Make lakes a bitch by requiring so much landfill to fill it in its almost not worth it

clusterfack
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Landfill requiring Exponential amounts to fill in lakes

Post by clusterfack »

Spitballing on this, if water had 'depth', it would add a lot of possible depth (pun intended) to the mechanic of water. For example how much landfill it takes to fill the area. And assuming ships are ever planned for the future, features like a pond, a lake, and an ocean all having different depths could add some of the necessary backbone for dynamic situations involving them, such as offshore oil rigs and large transport/oil tankers travelling through oceans.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I had the same idea, implementing depth would mean mods could generate resources at particular depths and it would naturally influence the amount of landfill required.

You could have three tiers, only the first two of which are fillable perhaps but the deepest waters are only found in very large bodies of water.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The biggest reason for landfill is, that it is needed, if you are castled on a semi-big island. So I think this suggestion is problematic, if you make that more and more expensive.

And it is already more or less like so:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=27939

--> Will be changed (on small scale) into the other direction.

I move this to won't implement. If you still want to change that, please create a new post in Balancing-board. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”