Crafting Chest

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

N00byEdge
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Crafting Chest

Post by N00byEdge »

Yes I know I am ripping of the concept of the logistics pipes (http://logisticspipes.wikia.com/wiki/Cr ... stics_Pipe), but I really think this would help a bit. Right now I'm using logistics robots to craft my Sience pack 3's, but all my circuits end up in the rockets crafter, so I ouwld like a kind of chest, wich you can tell, If you put in a copper plate here, 2 copper wire will enter the system. Then I will pull out of that chest, into an AM, then into a provider chest, and there we go. Right now all my resources are going to the wrong places, because they don't know how much to put in the chests, to get what I want.

I want to be able to say, provide 2 sicence packs here, and all the raw resources would be sent into the assembly machines, and then those parts will keep going and getting crafted and so on.

zlosynus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Crafting Chest

Post by zlosynus »

I believe it is actually quite fun to design your factory in a way it is splitting all material automatically and you don't have some magic boxes which do everything for you. I am not so familiar with these minecraft mods but one thing I never liked is that you can build easily some very small and very intelligent pieces which do everything.

If you want to split your material between different places at some fixed ratio, you can just use the idea I posted yesterday here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =298#p1420

Mysteria9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mysteria9 »

I agree with zlosynus.
It would be like playing an FPS game with aim assist. Kills the satisfaction.

Kadaban
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kadaban »

I find that using chests in my factory workflow only leads to problems of overstocking and siphoning resources from the wrong sides.
I'm only building loops without chests now and I'm only having problems when the supply of lesser materials slows down but it rarely if ever comes to a complete halt.

Mysteria9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mysteria9 »

Kadaban wrote:I find that using chests in my factory workflow only leads to problems of overstocking and siphoning resources from the wrong sides.
I'm only building loops without chests now and I'm only having problems when the supply of lesser materials slows down but it rarely if ever comes to a complete halt.
I think you should read the post again, what are you talking about? :D

Kadaban
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kadaban »

Mysteria9 wrote:I think you should read the post again, what are you talking about? :D
I should have quoted what i commented on, my bad.

I was reacting to
N00byEdge wrote: ... Right now all my resources are going to the wrong places, because they don't know how much to put in the chests, to get what I want. ...
which just seemed highly familiar of my misconceptions on building the first couple of factory loops. I added chests as buffer when all they did was siphon away resources because the factory unloading into the chest kept going whether or not the product would be needed.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Kadaban wrote: I added chests as buffer when all they did was siphon away resources because the factory unloading into the chest kept going whether or not the product would be needed.
Sounds like something that could be mitigated by setting a "cache limit" with a smart inserter connected to the buffer chest.

Kadaban
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kadaban »

MF- wrote:Sounds like something that could be mitigated by setting a "cache limit" with a smart inserter connected to the buffer chest.
Or just leaving the chest out of the loop at all. ;)
Conveyor belts already "store" items anyways.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Well.. I don't have many conveyor belts in my current factory.
manual supplying of the items that last long proved to be rather effective.

Cordylus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cordylus »

Necro: I think it should be moved to the "won't implement".

Instead of this will be the the all combinator stuff to control amounts of the items.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I agree with our favorite necroer :).
This is typically what combinators were designed for, I think (this, and probably thousand other possible usages).
Topic moved.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”