Automatic repair research

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Automatic repair research

Post by Harkonnen604 »

Case - repairing many heavy objects before dismantling. Or just repairing walls/turrets before bots are available. Especially in sandbox mode when you don't have personal roboport. Proposal - you get ability to drop a repair pack over an object (including objects without UI such as walls, tubes and belts) and the object will automatically heal itself with regular healing speed, but you won't have to stand there and repair them one by one. Same for turrets. This should be some mid-game reasearch costing like 100 red and green bottles and it should be a prerequisite for automated construction, so that construction bots when they appear use same mechanics - just drop a repair pack over an object, and the object then heals itself automatically. With this change construction bots will differ from logistic bots in a way that they can deliver repair packs towards green roboport area.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Automatic repair research

Post by ssilk »

You want to fix a personal issue, cause you are playing like so, and the game doesn't support it. But you ignore the implications of this change.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

TheDagmaar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheDagmaar »

It is a very stupid idea even in the late game. I do not support it!
TheDagmaar Mining Corp.

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

In late game with construction bots this works exactly that way (given you have enough of them).

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

All I want is to fill a gap between early-mid game when you have to do everything manually and end-game when you have construction bots an rocket nearly ready. I vote for "Planned construction" research that gives you ghosts, blueprints and deconstruction planner, BUT you have to run near items manually to be automatically placed behind your back with respect to running direction from your inventory. Same goes for deconstruction. Almost same goes for automatic repair (this thread) where you have to manually approach a wall or a turret and drop a repair pack over it, but you don't have to wait in a stall doing nothing for 3 seconds until it repairs. All these issues sorta kill gameplay, and forced me to like Sandbox mode a lot, for at least I don't have to run here and there.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Sorry, but you mix things. Sandbox mode is somehow cheating so I don't see the need to have a special game mechanic for that case. Use console lua commands to repair stuff directly. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”